The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-18 14:26:47

MoDDiB

[NEW GAME] I Wanna Steal Your Wife

Hello everyone,
after 4 months of work I ll post the first version of my personnal remake of The Castle Doctrine :
"I Wanna Steal Your Wife"

The game is about stealing wifes of others players wink
The game is totally nooby friendly with tutorials.
The game is more puzzle oriented with a limit of tools you can buy and a limit of price for your house.

The game is in beta stage but more and more traps will appear.
( such as cannon, zombies or teleporter ! )

You can play the game here :
http://goo.gl/4YWVHS

Main page of the game is here :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =272481488

B5400614F996523A984407C0991305B115A6FB2B

Last edited by MoDDiB (2014-06-18 14:28:06)

#2 2014-06-19 13:02:40

Frosty

Re: [NEW GAME] I Wanna Steal Your Wife

Wow, this looks really nice. Good work. smile

Couldn't try it yet because I'm on Mac OS. Any chance for a Mac build?
Anyways, I will give it a go on my windows machine on the weekend.

#3 2014-06-20 05:11:10

AMWhy

Well, I've tried playing this and there are some good elements, and a few bugs.

First, a major grammar error: You say 'got catch'. This should be 'get caught'.

Second, when viewing videos, you can only go one step at a time.  Also, the first video I watched seemed to error (perhaps from me clicking 'next step' too fast) and the robber walked through a wall before walking in random circles.  The second viewing of the same video, he died at the start somehow.  The third viewing was fine.

Third, the game feels very limited without an inverted voltage triggered switch.  I guess this is to stop people from locking the wife behind double gate trapdoors, making them inaccessible without tools.  However, this is still possible to do with a single trap door and electric floors...

Fourth, I can only see three houses at a time.  To refresh the list, I have to enter my house then leave again.  It would be better with a simple refresh button.

Fifth, you can see diagonally between walls - is this intentional?

#4 2014-06-20 05:55:59

MoDDiB

@Frosty : There will be a MAC version one day I hope, but for the moment I stay focused on the windows version for the beta !

@AMWhy : Thank you for your test : your house was really fun to solve !
I made a lot of mistakes in english I'm so confused so please excuse me : I'm french and I ll try to find some english speaking friends.
I'll work on the replays, it's really boring to watch when you have to click every step and when they didnt work everytime.

"Third, the game feels very limited without an inverted voltage triggered switch. "
I'll add a lot of contents ( a cannon which destroys walls soon ) and I really don't want something too complicated with electricity ( and I really don't want any combo lock , neither blind magic dance )

"Fourth, I can only see three houses at a time."
It's intentional, to force you to try those houses, why did you want to skip some houses ?

"Fifth, you can see diagonally between walls - is this intentional?"
It is, you feel something weird with that ?

If you have any suggestion feel free to share everything !

I've seen your puzzles and I think I will add the possibility to share community puzzles !

#5 2014-06-20 16:12:02

AMWhy

@MoDDiB I like the way you can only see three houses.  The problem is when you are given a choice of three houses that all need diamonds to enter.  If you don't have the diamonds, you have no choice but to enter your house to reset the list.

I also like the change to see diagonally through walls (it is easy enough to stop with extra walls).  It allows different puzzle possibilities!

Last edited by AMWhy (2014-06-20 16:13:33)

#6 2014-06-20 23:29:33

MoDDiB

"If you don't have the diamonds, you have no choice but to enter your house to reset the list."
In fact you just don't have enough diamonds to capture the wife but you can get the vault !
I'll try to describe this better in the game.

#7 2014-06-22 13:36:01

MoDDiB

A new update is available just for you AMWhy : Community's puzzles : everyone can add puzzles to the game !!
Enjoy wink

#8 2014-06-26 08:42:50

MoDDiB

A new trap is coming ! The plant !

ezgif.com-save.gif

#9 2014-06-28 09:56:13

MoDDiB

The game was casted here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEaYOFrgH9I#

There's more than 100 players now !
Join us wink

#10 2014-07-14 14:39:16

MoDDiB

A big new patch is up : 0.6 !

A lot of gameplay's modification :

- Now it's impossible to totally avoid your wives from being captured : when you have enough diamonds to get a wife, the vault will be replaced by a wife !

- New tool: door blocker : It will prevent powered door from closing.
doorstop.gif

- New trap : the simple switch : Something must be on it to activate it.
simpletrigger.gif

- New trap : the steak :give a steak to the player who will be able to use it : a nice way to drag a red herring !
steak.gif

Available on Windows and Linux

Feel free to vote for the game wink
http://www.indiedb.com/games/i-wanna-steal-your-wife

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … =272481488

#11 2014-07-14 22:12:18

dalleck

The simple button is a great addition!  I think it allows for some interesting different traps, especially with the pot plant!  Brilliant.  Reminds me of block-pushing games.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#12 2014-07-15 20:46:05

TacticalPteridactyl

Tried it out... I have a few issues with it. Most immediately: the interface. By comparison to TCD, IWSYW has a very slow and clunky interface. Movement is much slower than in TCD. And the keybindings omit WASD movement, forcing the uncomfortable use of arrow keys. Stylistically, I prefer TCD's minimalism, but IWSYW isn't likely to change in that regard.

It bugs me that it forces a playthrough of the tutorial levels, too...

#13 2014-07-16 00:37:46

MoDDiB

Hey thank for your feedback !
It's the first time I heard about the interface : what's the problem exactly ? Too many interfaces ? Too much loading black screens ?
If you fast type on the arrows the movement are as fast as you can, but it's always dangerous in this game wink
You are right, I will add WASD.
Ahah I'm not a graphist so I ll have to keep the style with which I'm the most comfortable.

Yeah for the tutorial I understand, but it's the only way to prevent players from creating 20 accounts each.
But if you know the game it won't take you more than 2 minutes with the skipping text button ( trust me I did the tutorial more than 100 times to create it hmm )

Feel free to share everything I really need these feedback !

#14 2014-07-16 12:35:53

TacticalPteridactyl

MoDDiB wrote:

Yeah for the tutorial I understand, but it's the only way to prevent players from creating 20 accounts each.

...nice trap. I guess I need to practice more, because I didn`t notice that one.

With respect to the interface, I think it`s the player animations. It`s only a slight delay moving from one tile to another, half a second or something, but those little delays add up quickly. TCD hasn`t got a movement animation, so the player can move as quickly as they can mash buttons on their keyboard. Let me just verify that I`m not talking out my ass...

Yes, sorry, I see that movement is unbound to animation delays. My mistake.

The other `flaw`I see is mood. This is part of a much deeper conversation about the value of art in society. I know you want a game that is family-friendly and accessible, for the sake of mass appeal and a broader userbase. I am not comfortable with this for several reasons. I would personally be quite offended if somebody took my work and sanitized it in such a way. People have tried to do just this with the like of Shakespeare and Mark Twain. My making the game friendlier, brighter, boppy music and whatnot while preserving the misogynistic theme the puzzle premise is based on, it makes the objectification women in more palatable.

Make sure to pay royalties to Rohrer if you monetize this project, on a matter of conscience if nothing else.

I read over the reboot thread just to make sure I wasn't flogging a dead horse with these criticisms and, criticism being something I take seriously, it is important to me that my points are both fair and constructive. I know that you have upset at least one fan of TCD through this venture, and it is regrettable that his criticisms were delivered with an aggressive tone. They are not _completely_ unfounded.

The only other concern I have at this time is the potential for bloat. Rohrer excels at minimalism. Passage is a perfect example of that. Something that we as players / designers sometimes forget is that good simple mechanics are often more fun and effective than lots of cool stuff. Lots of cool stuff might get you the extra wow-factor, but it can also water down that which made the game so good in the first place. While acknowledging an over-reliance on guessing games employed by the userbase, TCD's house objects are very versatile in terms of their ability to create deep-thinking logic puzzles. More objects do not necessarily add to a game's quality.

Fan of independent gaming as I am, I wish you good luck, and I will continue to watch the development of this project.

#15 2014-07-16 14:11:50

MoDDiB

Yeah I really wanted a game which can be played by everyone, cause I want the maximum people to feel what I felt during my first 2 weeks of Castle Doctrine.

"Make sure to pay royalties to Rohrer if you monetize this project, on a matter of conscience if nothing else."
There's no royalties about game design in video game, luckily for the players !
By the way, I do the game for the fun after my work ; I don't really know how I will monetize it and I'm sure it won't cover my spending ( servers, middlewares etc...).
My priority is to get as much players as possible.
(  I spent 3 years working on that game and no one is playing it : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f … d=93510513 you can understand why it is my priority wink)

"that good simple mechanics are often more fun and effective than lots of cool stuff"
I totally agree with that, and that's why I removed a lot of objects of the castle doctrine.
I'm adding some others to test it, to change a bit the meta game, if they are not interesting enough I will remove them.

One more time : thank you, I must admit I agree with you on every points but there's some things I can't really do as I want because I already spent too much time in the project. ( 5 months, 2 hours / day after the work is a lot wink )

#16 2014-07-17 04:50:18

TacticalPteridactyl

MoDDiB wrote:

"Make sure to pay royalties to Rohrer if you monetize this project, on a matter of conscience if nothing else."
There's no royalties about game design in video game, luckily for the players !
By the way, I do the game for the fun after my work ; I don't really know how I will monetize it and I'm sure it won't cover my spending ( servers, middlewares etc...).

I say this speaking as an artist. It's not a matter of legal obligation. Rohrer did most of the work for you in developing the concepts, mechanics, and in some cases, the sprites which IWSYW are based on. He deserves a piece of whatever pie you're making whether or not you turn a profit in the end. I disagree that the lack of a legalistic royalty structure is good for gamers on the basis that innovations are easily robbed from those that develop them, causing the greater effect that fewer developers are willing to take the risk of presenting games which diverge from the norm.

#17 2014-07-17 05:27:10

MoDDiB

" I disagree that the lack of a legalistic royalty structure is good for gamers"
Without this it would be the death of indie games because almost every game is like another existing game and you will have to charge some lawyer to prove it's not etc...

I think, as it will most likely stay free, the most I can do is to credit Jason in the game wink

#18 2014-07-19 11:32:42

cullman

TacticalPteridactyl wrote:

I read over the reboot thread just to make sure I wasn't flogging a dead horse with these criticisms and, criticism being something I take seriously, it is important to me that my points are both fair and constructive. I know that you have upset at least one fan of TCD through this venture, and it is regrettable that his criticisms were delivered with an aggressive tone. They are not _completely_ unfounded.

I'm not sure if you meant you read over the reboot thread to see if these criticisms have already been spoken about in general sense or not.  I just wanted to make it clear that the reboot I am discussing is not I Wanna Steal Your Wife - the projects aren't related.  Also, our reboot will not feature wives, husbands or children at all.

Yes, my reboot will hopefully have broader appeal and less violent themes in an attempt to gain a bigger audience.  It also will work on mobile, and like I Want to Steal Your Wife have some tutorial type levels.  I agree that TCD is a piece of art, and I also agree that my reboot will bastardize most if not all of it's artistic endeavor in an attempt to get more players.  That's not to say I don't appreciate the art of TCD, I do, I think it has completely succeeded at it's goal as a discussion piece and a game. However, I see an opportunity to tweak the game to get a bigger audience and longer life out of the game and that is my goal.

#19 2014-07-26 05:16:10

MoDDiB

The 0.7 update is now online: what's new ?

"I wanna steal your wife" is a MMO-Puzzle game and like in every MMO I have to deal with cheaters,
that's why this new update contains a new anti cheat system !

Multiplayers means interactions between players:
now you will be able to send a message to the owner of the house you are visiting : get ready to taunt !

But that's not the only novelty:
until now you were not able to see the replay of a player when this one escaped your house.
Now you will be able to watch every replay: you will totally understand the weakness of your traps !

At last, but not least there's now 4 different types of wives : catch them all !

wifes.gif

The game now contains more than 80 different puzzles with an infinite number of resolutions.
Come and join more than 140 players ( and wives wink )

Download :
http://www.indiedb.com/games/i-wanna-st … /downloads

#20 2014-08-29 15:22:26

MoDDiB

Hide your wives : he's coming on Android !

mobile.gif

In about 1-2 months with a whole new solo campaign and a lot of new wives ( like Angelina jolie wife5.png )

#21 2014-09-19 09:45:01

MoDDiB

The game is out today on Desura : http://www.desura.com/games/i-wanna-steal-your-wife

#22 2015-03-30 08:07:54

reallystrangeshape

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Confession: I haven't played The Castle Doctrine yet, though I intend to.

What I have been playing is I Wanna Steal Your Wife. Does anyone want to visit my houses there?  I have a few houses that no one has solved yet. Please come and visit! smile

#23 2015-03-31 13:27:11

JAAM

reallystrangeshape wrote:

Hi,

I am new to this forum. Confession: I haven't played The Castle Doctrine yet, though I intend to.

What I have been playing is I Wanna Steal Your Wife. Does anyone want to visit my houses there?  I have a few houses that no one has solved yet. Please come and visit! smile

oh wow i didnt know this thing even existed. Ill take a look if you want to play TCD however Frosty has opened a free community server with some neat add ons you should really take a look.

You are unique, just like everybody else.

Board footer