The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-05 12:02:01

gyuri

Straight path building challenge

Hi guys,

although I never officially retired I haven't been playing for the last couple of months. Still, I had an idea of a house in the back of my mind and I even drafted and tested parts of it, but I've never had the time and motivation to finish it. So before TCD ceases to exist, I wanted to share the idea with you and see what solutions you can come up with.

The idea is: the path to the vault is in a straight line from the entrance, so you can solve it by holding the right button down. But of course the house must be built in a way that tells the robber to do everything else but walking right.

Who wants to try and draft a house like that? The vault doesn't have to be in the far right, it's OK if it's just outside the first screen or it might even be visible if you like.

#2 2014-07-05 18:56:55

GotABigTrap

Re: Straight path building challenge

I love linear designs that have one complex puzzle.  The problem with these is that the vault location is usually more obvious.  One huge advantage is that the robber is less likely to gain information from a visit that would aid in future visits.  Another fault is that it doesn't really adhere the modular approach, which will put more trapdoors or powered doors in the robbers path.  The modular approach is much more likely to give information away over time, which is why houses like this eventually fall.  Each time the robber learns more, making future visits cheaper.  On the other hand, the game discourages single module approaches because they are easy to brute force.  This led me to try a balance of several complex puzzles.  This type of thing usually seems to work the best in my experience.  These would take awhile to build so I would usually throw down a cheap house with a single complex solution.  The problem with these was always very obvious, brute force requires just one expensive tool and a bunch of saws.  It takes up a lot of space, but I've found a great way to fortify single modules in my current house using several 1 bit clocks.

#3 2014-07-05 18:57:39

AMWhy

A first attempt.  You won't see the cat!

8Awi7Ue.png

Last edited by AMWhy (2014-07-05 18:59:39)

#4 2014-07-06 04:02:26

eppfel
Website

This is not completely a straight path, because you have to go up two steps, but I just wanted to mention clocks for this kind of house designs. This is a very old house and I'm not 100% sure, if this was the design, where you could just walk straight to the vault, but I am just to lazy to count the clock steps right now. It worked pretty well. And one step off track, would let you miss the one chance to get over the timed trapped.
iAdVP4x.png

#5 2014-07-07 18:27:00

FreeLove

Can someone guide me through how to make a castledraft into a mapshot?

Until then here's my entry:

http://www.castledraft.com/editor/clErq1

I'm no home-builder by any means, but for whatever reason today, inspiration struck, and I had loads of fun making this house. Parts of it still make me grin.

edit: meh, updated to fix some bugs.

Last edited by FreeLove (2014-07-08 07:53:20)

I only post because I care <3

#6 2014-07-10 13:43:02

FreeLove

AMWhy: I just built your house, and I have to say, that's one of the most satisfying self-tests I've ever done. kudos!

Edit: well that didn't last long.

Last edited by FreeLove (2014-07-10 16:31:06)

I only post because I care <3

#7 2014-07-10 21:09:30

AMWhy

smile I'm glad you liked it!  By default, you want to let the pitbull drop into the pit, or at least not walk in front of it when it's a step away!  Of course, if you hesitate a single square, the cat locks up shop before you can get to the vault.

Board footer