The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-06 08:47:30

dalleck

The Place to Post Your Break-ins

Top house successfully robbed with a brick!

----
The house was Cole Eric Mccord's (map).

I had worked out the gist of the puzzle.  You needed to get a dog all the way down through a maze and hit a single horizontal/vertical toggle switch, which shuts off all the electric floors.  However, no matter what I did I found I was always a dog short.

So I changed tactic and instead looked for an exploit.  I found that the house creator had, in his vanity, only made the south walls 7-deep, allowing for a set of pits to cover the rest of the distance.  This meant I could get within throwing distance of the switch.  But there was doubt in my mind whether this would actually work or not.  I mean, it can't be that simple, right?

The biggest dilemma I had was that going through with the robbery needed all eight of my item slots, meaning I would have no way to escape.  If my plan didn't work I was doomed.
So I went into houses and tested throwing bricks.  I found I would be close enough.  I even tested throwing a brick on toggle switches too, just in case they behaved differently.

Then I equipped myself with six saws, one explosive and my brick.
I was ready.
I went into the house and just stood at the door.  There was no turning back.
I entered, killed the four guard dogs, as I had practised, and headed south.  I double checked my blueprint to make sure I was correct.

I was there.  I had cut my way through the walls and I found myself standing across from the switch.  All I had left was my brick.  In the game I stood there in silence as I appreciated this moment, in real life I quickly clicked to throw it.  I knew this brick would either be my triumph or downfall.

My aim was true.  The power was cut.

Oh, and Cole Eric Mccord, I am sorry.

robbery

The brick hath spoken.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#2 2013-06-06 08:54:08

bey bey

Re: The Place to Post Your Break-ins

KUDOS to you, my friend. I hacked my way through previous versions of that house 2 or 3 times with water bottles, guns and cutters just fighting my way through the north, but this version just had one or two doggies too many for that to work and I died once or twice in the process. Bricks are a powerful weapon with all those designs relying on switches.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#3 2013-06-06 08:55:24

bey bey

One question while you are at it, though: How did you get the design of the house into castlefortify? I assume you didn't rebuild it from scratch?

- Dalleck

#4 2013-06-06 08:57:26

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

One question while you are at it, though: How did you get the design of the house into castlefortify? I assume you didn't rebuild it from scratch?

I pulled it out of the stdout file.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#5 2013-06-06 09:03:09

bey bey

THANKS! I was sure there had to be a way but I didn't know where to pull the stuff from. Now I dont have to save my designs by hand big_smile

- Dalleck

#6 2013-06-06 09:08:26

Lysergik

Haha that was my house!! was just about to actually post saying congrats to the person 1st on the list to get me. its so funny because before i finished my maze i went through it and actually saw one way to break in with 8 items and i was sure it was the only way but it was still a hassle.. but whats even more funny is that i totally neglected the brick with the 2 holes next to each other and totally missed that other way to do it haha! but anyway dalleck i salute you for beating my house awesome work smile dam all those paintings and my money tongue haha was fun though and man.. your maze i'm still getting my head around.. i might have to take all night to work it out lol.

#7 2013-06-06 09:19:54

dalleck

Lysergik wrote:

Haha that was my house!! was just about to actually post saying congrats to the person 1st on the list to get me. its so funny because before i finished my maze i went through it and actually saw one way to break in with 8 items and i was sure it was the only way but it was still a hassle.. but whats even more funny is that i totally neglected the brick with the 2 holes next to each other and totally missed that other way to do it haha! but anyway dalleck i salute you for beating my house awesome work smile dam all those paintings and my money tongue haha was fun though and man.. your maze i'm still getting my head around.. i might have to take all night to work it out lol.

It is a good house design you came up with.  You could easily post it again with more thickness as the bottom and it would be pretty taxing to get through.  I still don't actually know the correct solution so good job!

Anyway good luck with mine, it's already been broken twice before anyway, so you should be all right.  I have had many people die in the oddest ways in my house.

#8 2013-06-06 09:27:42

Lysergik

Yup its all fixed up now, that's cool i actually thought people would only die in that one spot which is past all the electric wire and north full of open trap doors. but i guess it would be funny watching them run around near the start thinking they are doing something, like i did lol. yea all the attempts i have watched were all hilarious and good efforts leaving them one item away from the vault heh.

#9 2013-06-06 09:32:26

dalleck

Yep, your house looks pretty solid.  I think it will be have to be solved correctly now.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-06-06 09:32:47)

#10 2013-06-06 09:35:34

Lysergik

oh and thanks smile my first design took me 5+ hours to make and had like 5 ways to break in with items.. then after learning from the people and how items work with passing and dodging a lot of dogs i made 2 other designs before this.. and both times in my final trial with real pitbulls and no turning back i died!! so many hours wasted.. I'm just glad its made it this far in kills smile best one yet.. but now you are the leader in kills so kudos to you ;]

#11 2013-06-06 09:42:05

zed

Ah, nicely done!

That was the best house I've seen so far, by the way. I had figured out how to solve it (without items), but it was going to take hundreds of moves so I thought I'd wait until there was more money in there...

Assuming there isn't some shortcut to solving it itemlessly - I'm amazed you had the patience to go through the self-test, Lysergik!

#12 2013-06-06 09:59:36

Lysergik

Thanks zed, Oh really? aww come on let me get a few more kills first tongue don't think I can come up with anything better anytime soon although I've never played around with the voltage switches and bridges, Fun times getting into circuitry / switches but also a real thinker heh.

#13 2013-06-06 10:39:49

Blip

I didn't take any screenshots, but I just robbed John Earl Fernandez, the second top house, for all of his money (he had a dead family). The first part of his trap was based on one of mine, which he successfully robbed a couple days ago, so I knew how to walk to inactivate the electric floors. The second part involved deciphering wirings as to let cats over switches and keeps dogs behind doors. I decided, instead, to just shoot the dogs and continue with the trap. The wiring turned out to be pretty simple, and I finished up the trap and took $44000 and some paintings. I think this house belonged to jearr, so I'd like to say sorry, but you had it coming. You robbed me in the first place.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#14 2013-06-06 10:51:39

jere

I think this house belonged to jearr, so I'd like to say sorry, but you had it coming. You robbed me in the first place.

Close. It belonged to jere. You know, I did have that coming. I was destined to lose everything at your hands.

You had a pretty complex little cat/dog system there. But, importantly, the area of the vital components was very small. So I recreated it and solved it quickly. I noticed you had posted just 10 minutes before that about your 2 'Sky' paintings, so I asked you if you were sure you owned them.

The funny part is, after robbing you, I was still left with that trap design and I thought I'd just reuse it as is. The rest of the house was a lot simpler as you said. Thus, the part I stole became a crutch. I KNEW that it was a liability... that if you ever came in, you'd probably rob me clean. smile

It's like I keep saying. This is an MMO where you can't make friends, but you can make enemies.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#15 2013-06-06 11:05:26

zed

Lysergik: sorry, didn't read this thread properly, hadn't seen that you were persisting with a reinforced form of the design. I shouldn't have given even that little hint about how to solve it. To make up for it: I hereby swear on my honour as a thief that I won't solve it myself.

#16 2013-06-08 17:48:30

largestherb

i enjoyed breaking this one smile http://youtu.be/VN3kBBmJ7WA

#17 2013-06-08 19:25:58

zed

Hey, well done! You even solved part of the puzzle. Another part was rendered irrelevant by a silly bug in the house - some crucial wooden walls had some wires in them. It's annoying how hard the difference is to see, when you can't see the blueprint...

You have my respect. The person who followed up that robbery by slaughtering my family, however, has only my quite genuine hatred.

#18 2013-06-08 21:30:32

dalleck

largestherb wrote:

i enjoyed breaking this one smile http://youtu.be/VN3kBBmJ7WA

Ahh!  You got it!  I couldn't find a way to get that sonofabitch cat to get on that switch with me.  I am glad you found a way.  smile

I was trying to break into zeds place because as far as I know he was the only one to rob my house (and he did it three times of a week or so).

#19 2013-06-09 09:07:58

ukuko

This was by far the toughest house I've seen so far. Warning: there's lots of worrisome switch fiddling in the middle.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/429 … _james.mp4

I understood the principle of the final puzzle, but I couldn't work out exactly which setup to haul the dogs through.

So... in the end, I threw a brick at it.

#20 2013-06-09 10:13:14

zed

Ugh, so now I'm destitute on both servers!

I didn't think of using a brick... nice trick.

#21 2013-06-09 15:37:52

ukuko

If it's any consolation, your rotary thingy was both a delight and a devil to puzzle through.

I think I did something awful to your wife earlier, so... sorry about that. sad

#22 2013-06-11 08:15:19

Laffinty

I dont know if you call that cheating, but I just broke a magic dance house by replicating it into a self-written program and moving around in it (and restarting a lot cause i screwed up tongue) till i saw a pattern that works (the magic dance turns the electric floors off that would otherwise turn on if you step on them):
3dm3K.png

Last edited by Laffinty (2013-06-11 08:37:52)

#23 2013-06-11 14:05:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm...  that sounds more like "homework" than "cheating" to me!

#24 2013-06-11 14:06:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

But, I will point out that having to write computer software in order to solve a house is further evidence that this game has gone way off the rails...

#25 2013-06-11 14:17:29

Laffinty

jasonrohrer wrote:

But, I will point out that having to write computer software in order to solve a house is further evidence that this game has gone way off the rails...

Well you dont *have* to write computer software, it just sounded more entertaining to me than sitting down with a notepad and figuring it out by writing tongue and its easier to keep track of the interaction between 2 animals that way

Board footer