The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-10-04 20:03:06

thoth

Painting Repository Available

Notice I have around half of the paintings at the moment, most of you probably think my house is an Eppfel repository before his final heist of all 155 of the paintings.  And it's starting to feel that way, as aside from the hacker only Eppfel has 'solved' any of my houses of late.  Anyhow the paintings stash is the largest I've ever accumulated, feel free to take it if you can.

#2 2014-10-04 20:11:22

AMWhy

Re: Painting Repository Available

What's your name, Thoth? (A question that only makes sense here!). My house has a lot of money in it, but I feel I can do better.  I might return to robbing for a while.

#3 2014-10-04 23:19:35

Passive

He is either crist (dead wife in glass)
Gregor (combo lock of doom)
Jones (step straight onto a trap door).

Was gonna count which had the most but.....

#4 2014-10-04 23:25:41

cullman

thoth wrote:

Notice I have around half of the paintings at the moment, most of you probably think my house is an Eppfel repository before his final heist of all 155 of the paintings.  And it's starting to feel that way, as aside from the hacker only Eppfel has 'solved' any of my houses of late.  Anyhow the paintings stash is the largest I've ever accumulated, feel free to take it if you can.

This is not an attack on you, thoth, in any way, but can we agree to stop calling people that are modifying the open source game to dump the map in the clear "hackers".

Here is one set of definitions for the word hacker :

computers : a person who secretly gets access to a computer system in order to get information, cause damage, etc. : a person who hacks into a computer system

Full Definition of HACKER

1:  one that hacks
2:  an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer
3:  a person who illegally gains access to and sometimes tampers with information in a computer system

There have been some brilliant hackers over the years that have done things, legal and illegal, that whether or not you agree with their actions, there is no doubt there was some great intellect applied in a way to make a system do something that it was not supposed to do, and in many cases make system to do something it was not supposed to do even while the designers of said system were aware these types of attacks would come.

Castle Doctrine is open source, and it makes next to no effort to obscure the map. These people that are modifying the clients to dump the maps, are not "experts at programming" or "solving software problems", they are not breaking the law.  This brilliant hack is 2 lines of code long (one line long, if you're really good and/or your semicolon key is working).  In fact, if they were real "hackers" they would probably be offering to help Jason solve the problem, or off doing something challenging or at least useful with their time.  Or using their hackeresque brains to rob tough houses fairly and build unassailable houses.  These are the same people that look up the answers in the back of a book of crossword puzzles, and then fill them in with pen to show their friends how smart they are.  Or solve a Rubik's cube by peeling the colored stickers off and resticking them on the sides in a uniform way and declaring the cube solved.  They exist only to appear like the are accomplishing something, when in fact they have only wasted their and our time.  As Jason once said, they are only robbing themselves of what this game is really about.

Whether you think "hackers" that can cleverly make a program do something it's not suppose to do is a good thing or not, let us not compare these people to them - these people are taking the source to TCD and adding a line or two to spit the map to a file.  Literally, this "hack" is within the reach of some 9 year olds I know.

Instead of hacker I propose we call them IPWHLTTEs (Insecure People Who Have Lots of Time and a Text Editor) or ipwilts for short.

/rant*

* I know it's a crazy long rant too, I am just so sick of these people ruining this game for no good reason.  It just shows you, even though 99% of the players of this game are cool, smart and honest people it just takes one bad egg to screw everything up.  The really dumb thing is, what is their long game?  Rob everyone so frequently and effectively no one wants to play, and then they can have the top house in a game no one plays anymore?  Again, I hope to fix most if not all these problems, but it just sucks that this is the state of things, especially with an indie game.

#5 2014-10-05 00:18:09

thoth

@AMWhy  no clue, someone tell me what my name is, I definitely have combo locks of death AND you step on a powered trap door that is released by a dog as soon as you head north so I must be either Gregor or Jones

@Passive - I just bought another five paintings or so, I think that definitely tips me in over half of the paintings (80 or so)

@cullman ya they are total lamers who only spread their miserable existence.  nice to have one dealt with, death to all the others!

#6 2014-10-05 00:26:12

Passive

jrORaa0.png

RYntJuC.png

Board footer