The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-04-04 07:09:00

Protagonizzle

Re: Free Community Server with New Features

Hey Frosty, tried to register a new account, got an "unexpected response from server" error at log in of the client. Something wrong with your ticket server?

#27 2015-04-06 11:12:49

Frosty

Thanks for the info! This should be fixed now.

#28 2015-04-07 01:59:30

Protagonizzle

Frosty wrote:

Thanks for the info! This should be fixed now.

Yeah, it is. Can not find any other bug, so good job, I guess. Now, how do we get some traffic on this thing? smile))

#29 2015-04-10 11:58:56

Frosty

Protagonizzle wrote:

Now, how do we get some traffic on this thing? smile))

Very good question! smile

I have been thinking about this for a bit and see the following options:

1. Forum posts
I have posted about the server in the following locations:
TCD forum (current thread): http://thecastledoctrine.net/forums/vie … hp?id=3100
Steam TCD forum: http://steamcommunity.com/app/249570/di … 228375450/
Reddit TCD subreddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/CastleDoctrine/ … _features/

As expected, the TCD forum itself created the most registrations. Steam paid off a little, there were some answers and registrations. Reddit was a underwhelming, only 2 or 3 upvotes and no comments.

Does anyone know about other forums or communities where we could post about the server / the game itself? Currently, my only idea is is trying some of the more frequented subreddits on reddit (like /r/IndieGaming) but I am not sure where such post are allowed or welcomed.

2. Writing to old players
This forum allows sending emails to registered accounts if the account owner enabled it. I thought about simply going through the list of accounts and writing them once (or twice wink ) about the server.

3. Twitter / Facebook / Youtube
I thought about looking for people who reviewed TCD when it was released or made "Lets play" videos and asking them for a little tweet/post/mentioning of the server. This could be a great boost but I do not know if people would be willing to do this.

4. Events
Even though I missed the Steal Real Money event when TCD was released, I think it is a great idea. I'm thinking about doing something like it. But obviously I cannot afford giving out $3000. However, I would be able and willing to spend a little amount of cash on this. Because of the possibility of dual-accounting there would have to be some additional restrictions/rules, so this needs some more thinking.

Last edited by Frosty (2015-04-10 12:00:10)

#30 2015-04-12 12:12:39

Protagonizzle

Awesome. To me it looks like there are gradually more real players, guess most will be from the Steam forum.

I have a fake FB account with some 500 gamers, so I'm going to spam your download and registration sites there, if you don't mind.

A little remark regarding the bot houses, it seems like players can ad more than one house, contrary to your statement further up this thread, just so you know. At least I'm positively sure that I stumbled over at least two different versions of a house of mine.

Cheers

Oh, also, your house is driving me nuts! tongue

Last edited by Protagonizzle (2015-04-12 12:15:06)

#31 2015-04-15 09:33:19

Frosty

You absolutely can post this on FB. Thanks! smile

Ok, thanks! I'll take a look at the bot house selection again.

Best regards,
Frosty

PS.: Haha, that's the way I like it. big_smile
Were you the one that made it to the safe by brutefore, but did not take it?  Cheers for that, but next time you sure can take it! At least then I'll have a reason to make a new house. wink I'll post the solution afterwards.

#32 2015-04-15 11:28:39

Protagonizzle

Frosty wrote:

You absolutely can post this on FB. Thanks! smile
I'll take a look at the bot house selection again.

I'm not even sure it's a bad thing. Consider this: If people have the opportunity to share multiple variations of a house, they can change dances, combo locks, vault locations and so on for each. That would prevent people from knowing how exactly a newly spawned house works, if they have solved in an earlier instance. I know the solution to almost all the bot-houses and chain rob them without tools as it pleases me. Would there be multiple variations of the houses, then one would need to scout each re-spawn, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Frosty wrote:

Were you the one that made it to the safe by brutefore, but did not take it?  Cheers for that, but next time you sure can take it! At least then I'll have a reason to make a new house. wink

Yeah, I lost my temper after roughly 100 attempts and went brute. tongue

Frosty wrote:

I'll post the solution afterwards.

Don't, it's a cool house, why spoil it? ^^ Still gonna take it, since you're asking for it tongue

#33 2015-04-15 14:41:02

Protagonizzle

Oh, and I noticed you edited at least 2 of the bot maps, one is missing the daughter and the wife with her shotgun now.

#34 2015-04-15 16:33:09

Frosty

Ooops. Killed myself by using the wrong account for scouting... ^^ Ah well, on to the next house. I added the old one to the bot maps so it will be seen again.
Yeah, I removed the wives on some maps. Mainly because most of the time they were not killed after the vault was robbed. And this kept the bot from respawning with a new house.

#35 2015-04-30 05:18:48

DaVinci243

Now, I don't usually do this but I will tell you the weakness of this.

The fact that there is no payment OR captcha makes me create 100 ACCOUNTS, then I create some small scripts to change from each alt account of what I created easily, and I send all the money to my main.

Captcha or something like that is a must.

noob programmer haking on open-source game.

#36 2015-05-03 09:51:00

pagedMov

Last time I posted, I was playing as James Michael Henley in the main server, and there were at least 50 houses up. Needless to say I'm definitely making a move to this new server. Thanks, Frosty, for breathing a little bit of life back into the game.

Also, why are all the paintings just one dollar?

Last edited by pagedMov (2015-05-03 10:47:23)

Currently attempting to carry out the legacy of my greatest life, James Michael Henley

♪ Hello darkness, my old friend ♪

#37 2015-05-09 01:00:48

Frosty

Hey guys,

sorry for the long silence, but work keeps me totally busy in April and May. hmm
So, the next update will take some more time. But it will come, I have not given up! smile

DaVinci243 wrote:

Captcha or something like that is a must.

Yeah, you are right. I will add a small captcha or question to the registration with the next server update.

pagedMov wrote:

Thanks, Frosty, for breathing a little bit of life back into the game.

smile
Thank you for playing!

pagedMov wrote:

Also, why are all the paintings just one dollar?

If nobody buys the paintings their costs slowy decrease to the minimum of $1.

Regards,
Frosty

#38 2015-05-16 14:54:05

JAAM

Ok im back took a little break to get some creative juices flowing since the main servers dying i think im gonna jump ship to the community server Mr. Hunnicutt shall donate his bounty to some poor chap and shall never be seen again. Though it was tempting to rebuild...

You are unique, just like everybody else.

#39 2015-07-04 22:46:39

Passive

Made a house, but all the rest seem to be bots.

#40 2015-07-04 23:21:48

cullman

How can you tell a bot from a human in Frosty's version. Also, what do people think of the new community version features, should we add them to TH?  Or some of them?

#41 2015-07-05 00:51:17

Passive

The bots have $2000 and 0/0 but with a $50k sort of house. Also after robbing them it tells you who designed the house and you can up vote or down vote the map depending on if you liked it.

So far I havent used many of the features. But I would say the save map one is good, and I think could be something you include in the paid version as a nice time saver which doesnt give you an actual advantage.

Will report back on the other if/when I use them.

#42 2015-07-05 02:38:03

cullman

Yeah, I actually want to make an advanced editor as a paid feature where you can cut, copy and paste regions and then save these clippings in a library. You could also save a whole house using the same editor.

#43 2015-07-05 02:45:38

Leaf

I've been trying to connect but it doesn't let me... hmmm.

#44 2015-07-05 08:50:27

Passive

Did you paste in all the addins? I have been on it but ever now and then it does struggle to reconnect.

On another side not for TH i think the bit were if you rob someone and then they die and our hidden from your house list for 24 hours should be reduced or removed. I find it very frustrating to get robbed only to never see that persons house. (maybe they die trying to rob another place, but that can't be the reason everytime)

#45 2015-07-06 08:08:36

Passive

After a bit more tinkering on the free server. I like the idea of the bots as a way of adding money. However the sheer amount of tools/scouts to crack them simply isnt worth the $2k they have to loot. I think if you are thinking of having them in TH they would be to be scaled with more reward for the harder ones.

#46 2015-07-06 20:00:06

Leaf

Got it all figured out... can't forget to download the server files from when you register.

#47 2015-07-06 21:04:25

joshwithguitar

Passive wrote:

On another side not for TH i think the bit were if you rob someone and then they die and our hidden from your house list for 24 hours should be reduced or removed. I find it very frustrating to get robbed only to never see that persons house. (maybe they die trying to rob another place, but that can't be the reason everytime)

This is important as it stops a dual account exploit in which you have one account constantly robbing another respawning account for $2000. With no time limit you can make ridiculous amounts of money in a very short amount of time doing this. With short time limits you can still make a fair amount.

#48 2015-07-06 23:02:11

Passive

joshwithguitar wrote:
Passive wrote:

This is important as it stops a dual account exploit in which you have one account constantly robbing another respawning account for $2000. With no time limit you can make ridiculous amounts of money in a very short amount of time doing this. With short time limits you can still make a fair amount.

Yea i get that, but when there is only about 5 of us playing getting the cool down on 2 people would pretty much end the game for you for 24 hours big_smile

#49 2015-09-22 11:48:47

Wompescu

Since the player base at the free server is kinda low, shouldn't it be a good idea to reduce the time one has to wait before robbing a house in which died? I am currently with no houses to rob and sort of unable to play.

#50 2015-09-22 14:11:39

Frosty

Hey everyone,

the "chill timeout" ("How long a house stays purple after you die there or carry tools there and die elsewhere.") should be at 2 hours since the server start. It this not working correctly?

The "force-ignore timeout" ("How long after you steal from a house until you can see the new-life house of that owner after the owner dies and respawns.") is at 24 hours if I'm not mistaken. I could change this to 2 hours. Should I? smile

Passive wrote:

After a bit more tinkering on the free server. I like the idea of the bots as a way of adding money. However the sheer amount of tools/scouts to crack them simply isnt worth the $2k they have to loot. I think if you are thinking of having them in TH they would be to be scaled with more reward for the harder ones.

Yeah, the bot-map values really need some tweaking. However, I've always struggled choosing the right values for the predefined bot maps. For maps added by players it's even harder to decide, since it has to be done automatically. We also have to keep in mind that, once a player has found the solution to a map, the map will always be "easy money" for him, as soon as it spawns. So the rewards shouldn't be too high.

Best regards,
Frosty

Last edited by Frosty (2015-09-22 15:15:54)

Board footer