The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-15 02:46:15

bey bey

Well, now the cashflow problem is on coke...

... seriously, no more than 2000 cash for starters and the BEST house has 450 bucks in it. And I bet one needs tools to go through it...

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#2 2013-06-15 04:44:59

dalleck

Re: Well, now the cashflow problem is on coke...

I love it how people are so pathetically poor that they cannot even afford to take dog meat along with them, and a crowbar is an absolute luxury!

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#3 2013-06-15 04:54:57

bey bey

Lol, it does spring some funny things, yup. I just scouted a few times with nothing in my bag, but I'd need to put another 5000 worth of walls etc. into my house before I'll even feel like I have a house again. It's funny how it feels like returning to something that wasn't really gone, like ditching that new affair that's kind of hot to return to your old girlfriend you had left.

Apart from that, all I wanted to say was that I feel the TCD economy could do with a stimulus, be it salary on dead houses or 5000 starting cash at least. (It's just TOO little cash in the game right now and if I have no money to spend, I'll also not take tools along, so I don't give cash away to anybody etc.

- Dalleck

#4 2013-06-15 05:15:51

colorfusion

Everyone being vulnerable is a good idea, but this has gone a bit extreme.
This is a real photo of the front page right now:

8u1h.png

There is literally nothing left to rob.

I think we need some heavy tweaking of money (starting money, tool costs, building costs) or to go back to some more V8ish systems. Perhaps even re-introducing the salary after being robbed; I think a lot of the old houses could still provide some challenge now that people will be encouraged to bring very few tools to them.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-06-15 05:48:44)

#5 2013-06-15 05:25:11

Laffinty

I always wondered, are the tools in the vault added to the displayed value?
if not couldn't you stash many many tools into your vault to appear as having $0?

#6 2013-06-15 05:27:15

colorfusion

Tools in your vault do show as money, I think they show as their selling price.

#7 2013-06-15 05:34:30

Laffinty

Hmm cant you kinda "win the game" if you use 2 accounts? xD

#8 2013-06-15 05:37:17

colorfusion

You can. But you'd have to find out which house is yours first.

#9 2013-06-15 05:38:18

dalleck

I love it.

I have $4 to my name, two pieces of meat in my vault and a brick.  Apparently that makes me top of the list and the hot target at the moment smile

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#10 2013-06-15 05:39:38

colorfusion

dalleck wrote:

I love it.

I have $4 to my name, two pieces of meat in my vault and a brick.  Apparently that makes me top of the list and the hot target at the moment smile

Are you Marvin O. Willingham?

I just entered and then exited to give you 2 more bits of meat.

#11 2013-06-15 07:26:23

dalleck

Umm.. I don't know it may have been me.  But then I died testing an addition to my trap, and made a new house.  However I just logged in now to find it completely smashed.

What surprises me is where the robber/s got all the cash to destroy it, they have spent a pretty penny!

broken house"

Edit:  Alright, I notice that many houses have been given the same treatment, which tells me there is 'death vandalism' everywhere!

Last edited by dalleck (2013-06-15 07:51:31)

#12 2013-06-15 08:06:43

bey bey

How depressing is this hmm In v8, at least, there were top houses to aspire to, houses you could always break with an hour or two of thinking if you wanted to. Now, it's just destruction and rubble everywhere... probably more "realistic", but somehow annoying since there's still the option to flood and utterly destroy houses...

Bring back 6000 cash!!!

- Dalleck

#13 2013-06-15 08:07:39

Matrix

Probably because there is nothing else to do.

There need to be other changes made to give enough content. Roguelikes are usually endless but TCD doesn't have an endless supply of houses worth robbing, yet.

#14 2013-06-15 08:12:16

Laffinty

3ghJG.png

yup..

#15 2013-06-15 08:14:13

dalleck

Laffinty wrote:

Wow, they got you good.

#16 2013-06-15 08:16:32

bey bey

And THAT is why it seems slightly pointless to build something nice with the 2000 at the moment...

- Dalleck

#17 2013-06-15 08:34:05

bey bey

Soooo.... that little cockslapper destroyed all of my humble beginnings as well. Now, I'd also like to PERMANENTLY know his ID (suggestion from another thread), since it would rather be fun to just randomly fuck up his house whenever possible if the game ever gets going again.... GRRRR....

- Dalleck

#18 2013-06-15 08:36:10

Laffinty

bey bey wrote:

Soooo.... that little cockslapper destroyed all of my humble beginnings as well. Now, I'd also like to PERMANENTLY know his ID (suggestion from another thread), since it would rather be fun to just randomly fuck up his house whenever possible if the game ever gets going again.... GRRRR....

cockslapper? a bit strong language there tongue

what did they do anyway? and what was your house yikes

#19 2013-06-15 08:38:36

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

Soooo.... that little cockslapper destroyed all of my humble beginnings...

Bey Bey, I commend you on your awesome quotes.

Don't change.

----

Now, the problem is the starting cash can be spent on tools, as bey bey has pointed out previously, and needs to be rectified to stop these easy vandalisms.

If starting cash could only be spent on your house, then this will completely solve this particular problem.

So, the way it could work is when you initially create a house the backpack button is removed.  Then, once you first successfully test your house your funds drop to $0, regardless of leftover cash.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-06-15 08:47:12)

#20 2013-06-15 09:08:32

Kalor

I just checked my house and most of my robberies were done by the same person, over and over. I think with the lower amount of cash about, having houses be robbable once per life will spread the money around various players instead of one person being able to repeatedly take it all.

#21 2013-06-15 09:11:14

colorfusion

Kalor wrote:

I just checked my house and most of my robberies were done by the same person, over and over. I think with the lower amount of cash about, having houses be robbable once per life will spread the money around various players instead of one person being able to repeatedly take it all.

I don't think there's enough houses about to have a house only robbable once, and it wouldn't encourage people to actually change their house design after being robbed.

#22 2013-06-15 09:13:54

Matrix

dalleck wrote:

Now, the problem is the starting cash can be spent on tools, as bey bey has pointed out previously, and needs to be rectified to stop these easy vandalisms.

If starting cash could only be spent on your house, then this will completely solve this particular problem.

So, the way it could work is when you initially create a house the backpack button is removed.  Then, once you first successfully test your house your funds drop to $0, regardless of leftover cash.

Yes there needs to be some kind of fix for this, but I don't know about $0 money. How will you rob others then?

I think that not saving house state would be a better idea.

Another solution would be to make houses robbable once per player (until the owner relogs) but for that to actually work we would need some kind of house "restoration" system in place. The old salary system does bring more houses up the house list, but they are all broken and just a stroll. That's why I think that not saving the house state would be a better solution.

#23 2013-06-15 09:28:06

FunnyMan

It sounds to me like the immediate problem is that robbery is too effective right now.  We've gone from a situation where you could build nigh-unsolvable houses with starting cash, to a situation where robbers can brute-force most houses with their starting cash.  It's essentially creating an infinite money sink, so nobody can afford to build anything that might (temporarily) stand up to the robbers.

One solution might be to make everyone start with no backpack slots, and have to pay $2,000 (or perhaps a bit less) for each slot.  That would mean that you'd start out with (nearly) no tools, and have to *earn* the ability to break houses by solving some first.

#24 2013-06-15 09:32:26

bey bey

dalleck wrote:
bey bey wrote:

Soooo.... that little cockslapper destroyed all of my humble beginnings...

Bey Bey, I commend you on your awesome quotes.

Don't change.

----

%tl;dr

Uhm, as long as The Bugle is around, I'll have a bottomless supply of profanity (and the mindset to use it...). To be fair, a day of gypsy bands, marching bands, and now an Italian maeeestroooooooo outside my window isn't helping that much either. But sorry for the profanity, still. In my defence, somebody just randomly destroyed my house with 15 saws and a few crowbars even though the safe was accessible already... same as with the others.

I support that unlimited tools should be EARNED (in a sense), not just available from starting cash. I like your suggestion, Dalleck, but I kind of fear that it would be hard to gather any cash without tools if broken houses didn't start to earn money again. If they did, that would be a nice way of dealing with it. Probably more elegant than "toolpacks" at the start.

/%tl;dr

Bottom line, the more I think about it, being able to use your starting cash on tools feels like a bug more than a feature (like with the overpowered electric floors until now...).

- Dalleck

#25 2013-06-15 09:37:05

Matrix

bey bey wrote:

Bottom line, the more I think about it, being able to use your starting cash on tools feels like a bug more than a feature (like with the overpowered electric floors until now...).

Yes that's why it was suggested a few times to separate starting budgets so that they can be balanced separately.

However there are many suggestions and it's hard to tell which one should be implemented fist. It's just how it is, the implementation order will sometimes change or break the game, but that's good. It shows to everyone that some changes have greater effects than others and that some limitations are more needed than others etc.

It also shows that some changes need to be made together or else they don't have the desired effect.

Last edited by Matrix (2013-06-15 09:38:06)

Board footer