The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-06 11:35:51

Nystical

Idea - Prove your family can safely reach the exit

Instead of making a forced clear path, giving people with dead families a trap-advantage, why not allow the player to prove that the family can safely exit the house? (of-course, they would walk right past the pitbulls, as they are family)

#2 2013-04-06 11:48:17

colorfusion

Re: Idea - Prove your family can safely reach the exit

How exactly would that work?
One problem I see is people being able to kill off their family easily just by having them walk over electric floors then making them turn on when the burglar doesn't do a specific move. This would make it really easy to set up impossible to complete houses, and also allow more houses to get super rich.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-04-06 11:50:49)

#3 2013-04-06 12:04:54

Nystical

Well the family could just not activate pressure plates, so a puzzle requiring family input wouldn't be able to be proven in the first place.

I'm mostly saying this so you could hide your family in a maze with doors, because if family could pass through doors, that would make the going-back and forth trick not work. Even though that could easily be countered by converging pit-bulls, converging pit-bulls are very expensive in the beginning, where you usually have your family alive.

#4 2013-04-06 12:50:05

colorfusion

Nystical wrote:

Well the family could just not activate pressure plates, so a puzzle requiring family input wouldn't be able to be proven in the first place.

I'm mostly saying this so you could hide your family in a maze with doors, because if family could pass through doors, that would make the going-back and forth trick not work. Even though that could easily be countered by converging pit-bulls, converging pit-bulls are very expensive in the beginning, where you usually have your family alive.

I'm not saying it would require family input, I mean you'd take a step in the wrong direction, the family would be killed instantly and the whole trap would activate meaning it would save in that state and thereafter be impossible. Right now the home owner can't really encourage a families death any more than tempting robbers with them at the door, and they can't really control in which state the trap saves.

How exactly would a maze make the going back and forth trick not work?
If they get out on your test, they'd get out on the real thing.

#5 2013-04-06 12:54:30

Nystical

I was thinking something with doors to block them, but now realize this wouldn't work. It would still be nice if you could somehow have "secondary vaults" where family members go (like beds to sleep/hide in) and then you just need to prove that it is possible to get to both vault/wife bed in one run-through. (or only need to prove one of them, but that could be worked out through balancing)

#6 2013-04-06 13:02:58

Wyld Stallyn
Website

It doesn't really give a noteworthy trap advantage as you can just reserve a single line for their exit. That really doesn't hurt you in a meaningful way. But it'd be nice if you could make it so they can walk through doors. Making it appear as though there is a potential trap to all sides can be a powerful psychological tool for starters who can just so create 2 intricate, small traps with what they got.

#7 2013-04-06 13:03:51

colorfusion

Nystical wrote:

I was thinking something with doors to block them, but now realize this wouldn't work. It would still be nice if you could somehow have "secondary vaults" where family members go (like beds to sleep/hide in) and then you just need to prove that it is possible to get to both vault/wife bed in one run-through. (or only need to prove one of them, but that could be worked out through balancing)

Kind of just sounds like it would be annoying in testing if you had to prove both, and if you only had to prove one the other could easily be made impossible which isn't really balanced any way you do it.

I think it would be better improving their AI to stay a bit away from burglars, perhaps even being able to arm them with guns or crowbars.

#8 2013-04-06 13:29:15

bgorven

If dogs could kill, it would be enough to place a couple of pit bulls two steps away from the door such that a burglar would be forced to make a beeline for a door to close behind themselves while your family escape.

#9 2013-04-06 13:51:07

Wyld Stallyn
Website

Well they can kill. Also that's a great idea for a forced labyrinth entry, maybe combined with a Russian roulette of doors.

Last edited by Wyld Stallyn (2013-04-06 13:51:38)

Board footer