The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-15 16:25:09

Matrix

Possible bug: inconsistent backpack and vault last saved state

The last backpack/vault tool state is not reloaded properly when returning to your house from the security tapes screen. You actually need to leave the house for it to register any tools moved between the backpack and the vault.

owner house -> house list (OK - saves backpack/vault tool state)
house list -> owner house (OK - loads the right backpack/vault tool state)

owner house -> tapes (BUG HERE? - probably doesn't save the last backpack/vault tool state)
tapes -> owner house (OR HERE? - loads the wrong backpack/vault tool state)

Last edited by Matrix (2013-06-15 16:26:04)

#2 2013-06-15 20:05:05

dalleck

Re: Possible bug: inconsistent backpack and vault last saved state

Yes this is a bug.  It was partly fixed in v9, whereby Jason corrected the buying/selling of tools (which would reset to prior state after watching in-house tapes).

However, yes, arranging tools does not save, and this is a sore point when tools have become so valuable (to some).

Edit:   I didn't realise your last situation though.   So setting up your backpack at home, going out to rob list, watching tapes and then returning resets your backpack to prior state?  Is that correct?

Last edited by dalleck (2013-06-15 20:07:01)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#3 2013-06-15 21:33:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

In v8, tool purchases were forgotten if you left your house to watch tapes.

I fixed this in v9 in a super-cheap way:  once you buy some tools, the "Tapes" button disappears!  So, after you buy tools, you can't leave your house to watch tapes (without patching up your house and re-self-testing).

I didn't think that transferring stuff mattered, and yeah, in v9, transfers are forgotten.

Matrix, it sounds like you're trying to move tools into the backpack to protect them from robbers while you go out to watch tapes?  Obviously, you can do this if you actually fix and retest your house.  But you're trying to do it w/out retesting?  So that you can watch tapes, keep your tools safe, and fix up your house later?

I mean, my lazy fix for this would be to hide the Tapes button also if you transfered any tools.  But that doesn't really address what you're trying to do.  I'm not sure I *want* to allow you to transfer tools while leaving your house in a "needs to be edited" state, though!

#4 2013-06-15 22:03:56

dalleck

The bug happens whenever you transfer things around in your backpack/vault and then click the watch tapes button in house.  When you then go out to rob a house the state of your backpack will be prior to when you adjusted things.

This has nothing to do with house state. etc.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#5 2013-06-15 23:59:42

Matrix

jasonrohrer wrote:

Matrix, it sounds like you're trying to move tools into the backpack to protect them from robbers while you go out to watch tapes?  Obviously, you can do this if you actually fix and retest your house.  But you're trying to do it w/out retesting?  So that you can watch tapes, keep your tools safe, and fix up your house later?

I mean, my lazy fix for this would be to hide the Tapes button also if you transfered any tools.  But that doesn't really address what you're trying to do.  I'm not sure I *want* to allow you to transfer tools while leaving your house in a "needs to be edited" state, though!

I checked again to make sure. Like dalleck pointed out it happens when the house is totally ok and tested. Also it's not just limited to "protecting tools" (vault -> backpack), any transfer between the backpack and the vault is not being saved. I agree that this probably shouldn't be possible when you are editing the house, but otherwise it should be allowed.

#6 2013-06-16 22:50:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, yeah, in that case, hiding the Tapes button after a tool transfer is the way to go.

Because, if your house doesn't need to be edited, you can just leave your house and watch tapes from the main menu.

The Tapes button is really there so that you can watch tapes that caused the current damage without fixing up the damage first (because you can die while fixing it up and then lose the tapes).

A bit more detail:  pressing Tapes just abandons the Edit House screen and jumps to the tape list.  Your house (and tool inventory) is NOT checked in when you do this.  And your house is not kept checked out while you watch tapes.  The idea being that there should be no way to keep your house checked out other than by actively working on it.

Board footer