The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-16 15:38:20

largestherb

custom tool kits~ and other backpack UI fun ideas!

a feature i'd like to see is being able to save your own 'tool kits.'

for instance, i want to buy 2 crowbars, 5 poisoned doughnuts, 5 waters, 3 bricks, 4 door stops, 1 ladder and 2 blowtorches. i enter a house at random. right next to the front door is a partner and a vault.
i can search the name and go back and get my dropped tools if i am quick. but, now i have to click them all one by one to get my 'tool kit' back in robbing condition!

wouldn't it be great if i could push a button that remembers my personal tool kit!?

i imagine the details could be stored in a text file, and for UI it could be something along the lines of numbered buttons 1, 2, 3, 4, however many profiles you think would be good? and to save/load, something like.. if the button 1 is pushed with tools in your active backpack, it saves that list of tools. push the button with an empty backpack and it fills it up with the saved list.

alternatively.. shift-click to buy/equip.. um, 5 of an item? or 2? or a button we can set how many we want to buy? ahh.

basically, when there is time and not other important things to look at, the new unlimited backpack has a few areas that would enjoy some quality of life UI changes smile

ideas ideas lets hear all the ideas!

#2 2013-06-16 16:31:33

jere

Re: custom tool kits~ and other backpack UI fun ideas!

While we're discussing not very important ideas, I'd say v9 has made me want hotkeys for the backpack. When I want to cut through a dozen walls, it'd be a lot nicer to use hotkeys for the tools.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2013-06-16 17:01:19

ukuko

jere wrote:

While we're discussing not very important ideas, I'd say v9 has made me want hotkeys for the backpack. When I want to cut through a dozen walls, it'd be a lot nicer to use hotkeys for the tools.

I've been craving hot keys too.

#4 2013-06-16 17:13:04

bey bey

After reading this, I really feel anxious about my house... The bad people are going to cut down my beautiful, beautiful walls... hmm

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#5 2013-06-16 23:14:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm counting these as polish ideas.... stuff I'll be considering way down the line, assuming I get the game actually working at a fundamental level  smile

#6 2013-06-17 23:49:28

Matrix

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm counting these as polish ideas.... stuff I'll be considering way down the line, assuming I get the game actually working at a fundamental level  smile

That's understandable. But could we at least have a simple improvement in one of the future (small) updates where for example the right mouse click would transfer the whole slot stack instead of just 1 item?

#7 2013-06-18 00:11:43

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Avoiding right mouse button, as a general rule (one of my mice here doesn't have one).

But yeah, there's already a "sell half" function for dealing with selling N items with log_2( N ) mouse clicks.

So, when in "buy" mode, there's no reason that button shouldn't change into a "transfer half" mode button.  Obviously, that didn't make sense in v8, when you only had 8 spots in the backpack, but now it does!  Will do in v10.

#8 2013-06-18 02:39:34

Matrix

Yeah the right mouse button was just an example. Personally I like to avoid the right mouse button as well. Holding a modifier key (shift should be cross platform) could work as well.

#9 2013-06-18 21:23:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Working on v10 today, and that's on the list.

Board footer