The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-16 11:30:42

ukuko

Leaving your house to watch tapes

It seems odd that if you check into your house and decide to watch your tapes your house becomes eligible for robbing again. Obviously the inactivity timeout should still apply, but it's kinda annoying to wait ages to get back into your house, go watch a tape and get booted to the lobby afterwards because you're being robbed.

Last edited by ukuko (2013-06-16 11:31:10)

#2 2013-06-16 11:47:17

Matrix

Re: Leaving your house to watch tapes

I knew I shouldn't have put the CCTV monitoring system in the garage wink

#3 2013-06-16 14:26:48

nathan

ukuko wrote:

It seems odd that if you check into your house and decide to watch your tapes your house becomes eligible for robbing again. Obviously the inactivity timeout should still apply, but it's kinda annoying to wait ages to get back into your house, go watch a tape and get booted to the lobby afterwards because you're being robbed.

Agreed. If I was Jason (and knew how to program) I'd make it so if you watched a tape inside of your house, it would count as being inside your house. However, if you watched a tape from the menu, it would count as being in the menu (outside the house).

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#4 2013-06-16 22:56:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm... well, the idea is to prevent you from keeping your house checked out unless you are actively working on it.

Watching tapes can take a long time.

Remember that your house is "content" for other players.  While you're watching tapes, they should have access to that content.

Obviously, being blocked out of your house is always annoying, but it's one of the necessary side effects of the fact that everything in this game is "real," permanent, etc.

#5 2013-06-17 00:52:29

ukuko

I find I spend way longer fixing my house than I do watching my tapes.

Hmm. The following scenario seems problematic:

You've noticed someone has been attempting your house. Maybe they've killed a family member, or even reached the vault! It's likely they'll be coming back for more. You manage to check back into your house to assess the damage, except while you're 'in' your house watching the tapes the robber is also in it, robbing you!

It's not obvious behaviour. If it stays the same then a warning message would help: 'You leave the house to watch your tapes'.

I'm not sure exactly where those tapes are, mind you... wink

#6 2013-06-17 09:58:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah.... I guess you go down to your local security company to watch the tapes.  smile

The tool tip for the Tapes button will change to "Leave house and view your security tapes" to make the behavior clear.

Board footer