The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-16 18:18:51

nathan

My thoughts on this game (I only started after v9)

1. This game is extremely fun. I love it! From building traps to robbing others' houses, the entire game is engaging and never actually gets old, because of the user-generated levels.

2. It's hard sometimes to realize that there are real people behind the identical robber sprites. One player killed my daughter and broke my traps, before dying multiple times on easy to spot traps with two guns.

3. Some people want to kill my traps. One player came back numerous times, destroying everything with cutting torches. I think that house design has to be emphasized over tools, as he came back multiple times, destroying everything in my trap, before stealing my hard-earned $5000.

4. It's impossible not to get mad at the game. After the robbery, little by little I put my house back together. Then, I added a pit at the beginning. And immediately fell into it when testing smile .

5. Some players are just jerks. The same guy who destroyed my house killed my son (named Nathan...creepy) despite no reason or monetary value they could get for doing so.

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#2 2013-06-16 23:21:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: My thoughts on this game (I only started after v9)

nathan wrote:

3. Some people want to kill my traps. One player came back numerous times, destroying everything with cutting torches. I think that house design has to be emphasized over tools, as he came back multiple times, destroying everything in my trap, before stealing my hard-earned $5000.

Strange.... are you sure he came back multiple times BEFORE stealing your $5000, with damage to your house accumulating?

Damage should only be saved if:

1.  He reaches the vault

OR

2.  He kills at least one family member.

So, if he hasn't reached the vault yet, the only way to save his damage would be to kill a family member... maybe that's why he killed your son.

Sometimes people do this because they fall into your trap in a previous life and are seeking revenge.  I wonder about it, but I'm not sure that I should fix it.  If they are still alive, you could search for them by name and take some revenge of your own.

#3 2013-06-17 05:08:32

nathan

Every time he came back, he killed a family member so the damage he did would save (Actually, I think he didn't know that, since the first time he killed my son and almost got into the vault before sying to my pit trap. The second time, he brought ladders and finished robbing me. If he got me for $500, that means that for a while, I was the top house!

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#4 2013-06-17 10:01:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, this is an intentional part of the design.... a creepy way for robbers to instrumentalize the systematic murder of your family.

It also gives you a reason to protect your children.  You obviously want to protect your wife, because she protects half of your money.

#5 2013-06-17 10:11:01

bey bey

Well, but now it's so overpowered (together with the incentive to use up ALL tools on whatever wall you find because it will be dropped otherwise) that one can only hope to get one's family killed early, they are too much of a liability...

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#6 2013-06-17 10:38:15

largestherb

http://castlefortify.com/c/89ca7c1 ps. pretend saws don't exist and that the switch is not so easy to push.

obviously this is not a real house and you can do much more to defend your family / vault. but in a direct line, tool cost to reach this vault is $16,800. cost to club my partner is $5,802.

of course nothing is perfectly safe any more with the new super backpack, no matter how many dogges/trapdoors you hide behind. but that still seems like a big price-gap for this direct comparison.

edit: alternatively, here is a one-time robbable house. pretend it has just been robbed, but the robber dropped 50 guns in there. the little chihuahua is dead in a pit. http://castlefortify.com/c/4636cc4

alternative ps. i am saving up my pennies and making this, just you wait!
alt pps. maybe that chihuahua will walk on the wife and not the button.. bleh! -1 pitbull for a wall.

Last edited by largestherb (2013-06-17 10:54:03)

#7 2013-06-17 10:50:40

bey bey

... I know ...

this is the best kind of house now. And somehow I wish v8 were back - looks like we'll get even uglier houses and even less gameplay in the end with v9, at least for players who like to design stuff...

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#8 2013-06-17 13:09:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah but, these are extremely expensive houses to build!

The way up that ladder requires loads of blood, sweat, and tears.

Also, someone just got to Miller's family, thwarting the one-time dog behind the wall that opened his trap doors.  Which means that his house may be up for grabs with the right tool set.

This is kindof an exciting moment.  I'm carrying 1 explosives and 41 waters, but I can't get into the house because someone else is in there.

Dammit!  Wrong step, lost everything.

Now back to waiting again... who will be the first through?

Oh, whoa, it's much harder than it looks on the inside.  Hmm... probably will be a while before this one falls.

So, the guy who came in with 42 crowbars and killed all the dogs... he didn't get those tools from tool-dumping across multiple deaths.  He got it from scrounging unfinished houses across 6 different robberies.

Board footer