The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-25 11:43:43

bey bey

:(

Some background update (I think it was JAVA) made TCD crash while I was robbing a house. All is lost. sad

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#2 2013-06-25 11:51:55

colorfusion

Re: :(

Damn, bad luck.

I was actually just about to go out to raid you. (You were Dean Sylvester Murphy I think)

#3 2013-06-25 11:53:29

bey bey

Well, I had been robbed a few times and actually had the paintings I'd stolen from somebody else. But if I don't hit upon somebody's cache I don't see how one would build another viable house at current conditions. hmm

- Dalleck

#4 2013-06-25 11:53:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm... that's strange!

Nothing should be able to make something crash.

Do you have the recordedGame file of that happening?

If you watch it yourself (drop it into the playbackGame folder and launch the game), it should crash again at exactly the same spot.  If it does crash again at exactly the same spot, PLEASE send me the generated stdout.txt (if you have it) and the recordedGame file!

#5 2013-06-25 11:55:47

bey bey

I'll do that. Windows 8 made TCD crash many times at my end, notably when I touched the border of the touchpad when in fullscreen mode (I think that triggers some response from the "Metro" system that interferes with TCD) but since I knew what it was I just went for windowed mode when doing something important.

edit: Mail underway!

Last edited by bey bey (2013-06-25 12:06:13)

- Dalleck

#6 2013-06-25 11:59:50

largestherb

closing fraps (with fps overlay) likes to break tcd!

#7 2013-06-26 05:35:04

bey bey

Soooo I made a labyrinth house with the starting cash about an hour ago. All that has happened is that somebody made about 15k in it death dropping explosives. Since I don't really see the point in that, I chose the rope and wait for v10. Nothing left to do here.

Maybe the change towards "the chills" (closing permadeath exploits) etc. will restore balance, maybe they won't. It is slightly frustrating considering how much fun this has been at times.

- Dalleck

#8 2013-06-26 06:29:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'll take a look at the Fraps crash on my end.  Thanks for the tip!

#9 2013-06-26 06:39:39

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

Soooo I made a labyrinth house with the starting cash about an hour ago. All that has happened is that somebody made about 15k in it death dropping explosives. Since I don't really see the point in that, I chose the rope and wait for v10. Nothing left to do here.

Maybe the change towards "the chills" (closing permadeath exploits) etc. will restore balance, maybe they won't. It is slightly frustrating considering how much fun this has been at times.

I am loath to admit that it was me...  You see there was almost an empty list, with only a single $40k house on top requiring ladders etc (the one with trapdoors from the opening). 

I realised the only way I could take it down was to do a death drop, and seeing as I had never did it before I wanted to see if I could do it.  I found a simple house with a relatively easy easy pathway, but some deterrent to other robbers and yeah, just suicide-d in.

Funny thing is, after I earned 3 ladders and 30-something explosives I busted into that joint and actually got to the safe, something I didn't actually expect to do smile

So yeah, chills will fix that right up.  But now at least their is very little wealth in our poor town (I have already spent it...)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#10 2013-06-26 07:11:09

bey bey

dalleck wrote:
bey bey wrote:

I am loath to admit that it was me...  You see there was almost an empty list, with only a single $40k house on top requiring ladders etc (the one with trapdoors from the opening). 

I realised the only way I could take it down was to do a death drop, and seeing as I had never did it before I wanted to see if I could do it.  I found a simple house with a relatively easy easy pathway, but some deterrent to other robbers and yeah, just suicide-d in.

Funny thing is, after I earned 3 ladders and 30-something explosives I busted into that joint and actually got to the safe, something I didn't actually expect to do smile

So yeah, chills will fix that right up.  But now at least their is very little wealth in our poor town (I have already spent it...)

Fair enough, so your house is that new one with the chasing dogs and pits I assume.

I actually just wanted to dip my foot in the water to see if a harmless labyrinth gets plowed down as has happened at the beginning of v9 or if it can stand for a bit without pointless vandalism. But all this dumping also discouraged this whole experiment somewhat. V10 here we come.

- Dalleck

#11 2013-06-26 07:28:07

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

Fair enough, so your house is that new one with the chasing dogs and pits I assume.

I actually just wanted to dip my foot in the water to see if a harmless labyrinth gets plowed down as has happened at the beginning of v9 or if it can stand for a bit without pointless vandalism. But all this dumping also discouraged this whole experiment somewhat. V10 here we come.

Yep, but I'm dead now smile

I just can't seem to get excited about building houses now...  This version has pushed house design towards one ultimate conclusion;- just shedloads of concrete walls and/or trapdoors + hidden mechanism.

I don't know, I am thinking maybe I have just had all the fun that I am going to get out of this game (but what fun it was!).

...we shall see how v.10 feels.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#12 2013-06-26 07:47:19

bey bey

dalleck wrote:
bey bey wrote:

Yep, but I'm dead now smile

I just can't seem to get excited about building houses now...  This version has pushed house design towards one ultimate conclusion;- just shedloads of concrete walls and/or trapdoors + hidden mechanism.

I don't know, I am thinking maybe I have just had all the fun that I am going to get out of this game (but what fun it was!).

...we shall see how v.10 feels.

I get the same feeling - the fun is gone. I am seriously wondering if a v8 fork would be viable. It wasn't perfect but it was decent enough fun I'd say. Probably because with only 8 tools to be considered, there was quite some freedom of creating interesting houses if one so chose, and because 6000 starting cash went quite a long way towards being able to do that. And even with only 8 tools, often enough somebody would lose themselves in too complicated electronics and miss a way of reaching their safe with tools.

I also don't enjoy those ugly "high-security" blocks. Some houses where interesting for how much came after the first few hurdles. (I think it was Steele...) There was just so much inside the house that almost looked like the kind of labyrinth one would enjoy. Most other houses were nothing but lengths after lengths of boooooooring.

An interesting v9 design would have forked and forked again with repeated security puzzles where it is unclear where the safe is. Probably even have three trapdoor chain entrances, where only one leads forward. Huh, I should have done something like that while the cash was around, but I really hate doggie dances and they're the only possibility of achieving something like that methinks. And either way, why build a house nobody will be playing.

Last edited by bey bey (2013-06-26 07:48:26)

- Dalleck

Board footer