The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-28 06:03:00

ukuko

Green text on unvisited houses

I love the green text on unwatched tapes in v10. How about green text for unvisited houses?

Guess it would also count them as unvisited if the owner changed something since your last visit.

#2 2013-06-28 07:04:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Green text on unvisited houses

Hmm.... well, I'd actually like to keep that part a bit more mysterious.  The owner might change something out from underneath you without you realizing it (a good thing in terms of tactical gameplay).

When you're dealing with 100s of tapes, sometimes 10+ tapes from the same character name, it is really tedious (or impossible) to manually track which ones you have already seen.  Adding the highlight there takes away nothing from the game.

To track which houses you are focusing on, you can write down names on a piece of paper.  In fact, I WANT you to be writing down names on a piece of paper (that's what the names are for), and it's a creepy thing to be doing---to have this list of real-sounding names written down.  Adding highlights there would remove this aspect from the game (you'd no longer even need to look at the names in many cases, let alone write them down).

In general, the rule is, "Automate anything that can be automated."  But here there are strong aesthetic reasons for breaking that rule.

#3 2013-06-28 07:56:03

ukuko

Good points. I rescind my request!

The owner might change something out from underneath you without you realizing it (a good thing in terms of tactical gameplay).

Under what conditions does the visits/deaths counter reset?

It seems to reset whenever something in a house changes, as you'd expect, but there have been times when I've changed something in my house and the counter I see on my tapes hasn't reset. Unless I'm going crazy, which is always possible.

#4 2013-06-28 10:35:25

bey bey

If the death counter does reset reliably we can see that the top houses haven't seen any editing in quite a while and are thus most likely to be broken.

Also, as a workaround for noticing changes to houses, you can just "ignore" them - they'll pop back up as soon as the owner does something with them. With so few houses around and only two kind of top houses this shouldn't get confusing. Also, those eternally taunting top houses deserve a bit of ignoring. wink

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

Board footer