The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-27 19:51:53

nathan

v10 Change Log

I do know that Jason may be waiting for morning to write the news article, but digging around his SourceForge and using my url-editing-fu, I found the v10 change log! Which is here: http://sourceforge.net/p/hcsoftware/Cas … ngeLog.txt

Besides the obvious, he:
1. Added entropy to the map encryption keys

2. Fixed a number of vital bugs

3. Added a "Move half" button to the backpack.

Last edited by nathan (2013-06-27 19:54:34)

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#2 2013-06-28 01:05:57

ukuko

Re: v10 Change Log

It's also included in the source, which is available on the download page.

#3 2013-06-28 04:42:07

jere

Tool use no longer causes mobile objects to take a step.  This increases the tactical effect of animal positioning (because you can no longer use a tool on a wall to tune how far away an animal is from you---thanks Zed).

My first thought is it makes easier to run away from pitbulls if your escape route is through a wall. Which, on balance, is good because I'm usually the one trying to run.

Also, v10 subtitle:

V10: LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE

Last edited by jere (2013-06-28 04:44:32)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#4 2013-07-01 20:37:21

largestherb

well, i am still not fond of these 'chills' (with such a small player-base.) but if they are here to stay it'd be nice to have some kind of in-game timer, so i don't have to write down 'donald von bakerson, 4:23am' on a notepad just so i know when i can come back and play again

#5 2013-07-02 07:37:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hmm.... again.... wow, having "donald von bakerson, 4:23am" written down on your desk is pretty awesome.... 

You know... what would someone think if they saw that slip of paper?

Also, having a timer ticking there would be thematically weird---I did consider it. 

It's an hour, which is pretty easy to remember... a nice round number.  And not having a timer ticking there makes it a bit more mysterious, like a magic spell or something, where you're watching a real-world clock outside the game instead of spamming the reload-list button watching an on-screen number tick down.  Also, the "hour" part is NOT explained in the game (and might change!).  So for people who don't know, chills will come and go mysteriously.  Maybe after some experimentation, they can figure out that it's an hour, and then it really is like some kind of occult discovery.

Contrast this with the auction timer, which actually has a realtime display ticking down---but that's obviously not supposed to have an occult, mysterious feel to it.  It's an auction.  Cut and dried.

Also, Largestherb, can you explain what it is that you don't like about the chills?  This is the first complaint that I've heard about them.  Most people were so worried about tool dumping and try-again-try-again robber spamming---it seemed like a fix really was needed.

#6 2013-07-02 09:25:12

largestherb

the castle doctrine has definitely filled up my notepad with some.. strange etchings. if i had any sticky-notes they'd probably be all over my wall!

i don't think it is that i dislike the chills, the endless bombardment of robberies was definitely a bit crazy. the chills is definitely the best way of tackling that, i think my problem is just adapting from my kamikaze ways. i am getting better at it and the chills are locking me out of the game a lot less now.

i thiiiiiink the introduction of chills and the introduction of 'this dog is a landmine' was just a big culture-shock and i keep playing when i am half-asleep and melting in hot humid heat and that makes me easily agitated with every little thing sad
it was a fair bit cooler last night and i wasn't sleep-playing and i didn't die very much at all! big_smile

Board footer