The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-01 09:18:04

jearr

feature request: additional stat tracking and "lifetime kills"

My last house got around 100 kills over its lifetime (probably my best so far), but this stat is not visible anywhere.  Currently the only way to find it is to break out a calculator and manually add up the values from the recordings.  Obviously it didn't occur to me to do this before I died, which led to this request.  But I also was thinking this stat could be displayed in the house browser alongside the scouts and kills-since-last-update stats.

Also, I'd be interested in other hidden account stats, such as how many times I've died during self-test or during a robbery, my highest house value, my biggest robbery, and how many total kills all my houses have gotten.

#2 2013-07-01 09:44:22

ukuko

Re: feature request: additional stat tracking and "lifetime kills"

I'd love some lifetime stats for the houses. Might be nice to have a button to toggle between lifetime/live stats.

#3 2013-07-01 12:11:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, there is no "lifetime" that survives across in-game lives.  I really want to preserve that.  Each time you start from scratch, you really start from scratch.

As for the total death tracker for your current house....  well, having you break out the calculator like that sounds pretty cool to me.  That might sound like laziness on my part, but there is something cool about having certain parts of the game bleed out into real life.  There's something very cool about making maps on graph paper, or writing down notes as you try to figure out a house.

And for you to be sitting there with a damn adding machine (clackety-clack) TALLYING UP HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU KILLED.... well, yeah.  I can see you with your little green banker's visor doing that!

On the other hand, why do I chose to actually automate certain things?  Like, why highlight unwatched tapes?  Or why allow control-click to "eyedropper" a tile?

Well, for the tapes, there's no way to keep track of them otherwise, and you do generally want to watch many of them, and some repeat the same name, etc.  Pretty much, that's what everyone does all the time with that interface (watches new tapes).  So, it really needs to support that.  And when editing a house, you are constantly switching back and forth between objects, so streamlining that makes a lot of sense.

But for something more obscure and special-case, that you might do every once in a while, or might do only when you're very rich.... well, it's alright to not automate that.  And it may be cooler to not automate it.

#4 2013-07-01 12:42:16

ukuko

Thing is that all-time deaths/visits for a house is data only visible to the owner. It would be nice for that information to be publicly visible. A little testament to longevity!

#5 2013-07-02 07:10:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, yeah, because after the owner changes the house, it resets.

I was worried that, as a house changes over time, those stats might fall out of sync with the current state of the house.

Board footer