The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-02 11:40:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

New tool dumping behavior

I just made the following change server-side:

A robber's backpack contents are now discarded upon leaving the target house or reaching the vault.  Backpack contents are only added to the vault when a robber dies in the house.  Experimenting with this as a solution to the multi-life tool dumping loophole.

I've recently seen people dumping $2k of tools in one house across multiple lives by reaching the vault over and over with each life.  Granted, this can only happen in broken houses, so it's not as common as it was before.  But it was still a problem.

#2 2013-07-02 14:51:44

Raisane

Re: New tool dumping behavior

this is probably a bad suggestion, but i still want to suggest it: usually after you're robbed you got 0$ right, and most of your time you need to repair your home. you can't wait for your salary because it'll get robbed away before you even get back, so you are forced to rob another house before you can quit the game for the day.

so my idea is: why not get the money the robber's used tools cost? let's say the robber uses 3 saws to reach the vault, why not give the person who was robbed 300$ the moment he enters the room (so it won't get robbed right away before the owner even gets back to his home), this counts only for the robber(s) who succeeded in stealing, not for the ones who died before.

example: let's say robber A uses 5 saws (500$) and dies, robber B uses 1 crowbar (100$), kills the wife and goes away, and robber C uses 2 saws(200$) (and reaches the vault), you get 300$ the moment you enter your own room, like: "you found 300$ lying on the ground".

this'll give a person emergency provisions to fix up his own house, but it wont be enough to get the whole room back (so it'll just fill up some holes, not everything, because water costs 2$ and it fries your electric floor, those 2$ can never repair the electric floor)

#3 2013-07-02 15:03:23

ukuko

Hmm. What if the tools dropped in a house (by leaving/dying/reaching vault) were stored separately to those in the vault? So they only actually come into play when the house owner logs back in, at which point they are added to the vault. On the wage message you could say something like "£XXX worth of tools were discarded in your house".

This would be a thematically consistent fix to the dumping loophole whilst letting the house owner reap the benefits of any discarded tools.

#4 2013-07-02 17:21:46

bey bey

Aesthetically bad but probably a saving idea for the game!! And it would reward good design (i.e. more tools needed). Then again, that would mean that if Taber were laddered, he'd just get the cash refunded.

It all leads back to the fact that at the current state, trapdoors and magic dance are still the only proper defense (I say). If one tries to build "modules" one after another, it seems to be impossible to go out for a few pints without finding your house destroyed and family dead a few hours later. I'm not looking for a kind of farmville where I have to log in every two hours (I have been playing TCD way too much lately anyways), and a state where not playing for a few hours means that all is lost (if you don't employ an ugly strategy from the start which I don't feel like doing again) doesn't really seem worth the frustration.

Last edited by bey bey (2013-07-02 17:31:36)

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#5 2013-07-03 07:39:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Giving you a little something to repair your house with?  That's what the SPOUSE is supposed to be for.  So, I don't want to duplicate that functionality.

If the spouse is not working as-is, that part needs to be fixed.  Even if she's well-protected, people can still whittle away at your money by hitting the vault over and over.  Really, that doesn't make much sense.  It's like, after each robbery, she runs back to the vault and puts half of her remaining money back in there???

So, maybe she should hold half of your money after your most recent edit.  Then, after that, she keeps that money, no matter what happens to your vault.  So, after your vault is hit, your house might still show $4000 on the house list, but, reaching the vault again will give the robber $0.

#6 2013-07-03 08:15:42

Raisane

yeah that would be good, but instead of your house showing $4000, can't it show 0/4000 (0 in vault, 4000 at wife) but nvm, this would show houses with wives alive, and thus being targeted, so instead of that: why not show a little icon next to the money that shows that the vault itself is empty?

#7 2013-07-03 08:54:38

ukuko

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, maybe she should hold half of your money after your most recent edit.  Then, after that, she keeps that money, no matter what happens to your vault.  So, after your vault is hit, your house might still show $4000 on the house list, but, reaching the vault again will give the robber $0.

This makes a lot of sense!

#8 2013-07-03 11:41:48

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Raisane.... but do you want people to know that your vault is empty?  Better to *suspect* that the wife is hiding somewhere in the house, after being disappointed by reaching an empty vault.

#9 2013-07-03 23:45:31

Raisane

well, if someone beats a house without using any tools, or making any edits in the room, and a 2nd person comes, he completes the house with great effort, only to get 0$. but that won't be happening so you can just ignore what i said in my previous post.

Board footer