The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-07-02 08:34:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: The Place to Post Your Break-ins

Hmm... not seeing that for your current house, Bey.  I see about 8 tapes, with people carefully poking around with minimal tools, avoid death at all costs.

Maybe that happen in your previous house?

Also, the Taber robbery of your house is interesting...  at first, I couldn't figure out why he was "burning" his tools near the end.  Then it seemed like he was making an easy path to your vault... maybe so he could come back for his remaining tools?  But then he continued to burn more tools!

That seems sub-optimal to me.  Optimal would be carving the easy path to the vault and keeping as many tools as you can to dump in the vault, then coming back with no tools to get them.  Maybe he was "tilting" a bit there (as in poker tilting).

#77 2013-07-02 08:45:58

bey bey

Well, it's odd, it was the "middle" house I think because I think I died once. There were just lots of people showing up dumping lots of tools and other people taking them. Seemed odd to me, or rather: In tune with what happened in dumping times. I figured it might have been somebody with dual accounts dumping stuff for his other account, but I might have been wrong. Just looked very odd at my end but I guess it was fine, at least it has stopped now.
edit: had another look, definitely weird: Looked like the robberies happened in sets, taking the money first, then returning with more tools but leaving with no cash. Then a new name, same thing. It starts with Noland.

Yeah, I think Taber was trying to make a point there, ensuring I couldn't come after him again. But that's what will happen in the foreseeable future I suppose, once somebody gets to about 30 or 40k (enough to take him down), he'll have to cut through the house to save himself.

Last edited by bey bey (2013-07-02 08:48:50)

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#78 2013-07-02 09:30:14

largestherb

hmm, i made quite a few trips to your 'broken' house to map it out in castlefortify for if you repaired it i could figured it out. think my last trip left 14 poisoned meats in your vault.

#79 2013-07-02 09:39:20

bey bey

And don't you feel silly now that I posted it in this thread? big_smile

No, it was in the new one (hardly anything to map there), and it was sets of two robberies to pump up the house (first person takes cash leaving only one cheap tool, returns with lots of tools dumping them for 50 bucks of cash) and a new person showing up to take the enhanced stash. This happened three times and seemed odd to me since there was a clear pattern that made sense at play.

- Dalleck

#80 2013-07-03 13:15:38

Ludicrosity

Did someone here get Mr. Taber? I don't see him on the list anymore. Just wondering who to thank.

#81 2013-07-03 14:14:40

zed

That would be me wink

He got careless, fell for a pretty simple "dog released behind you if you go too far in" trap.

(Then someone else broke down all such defences over a series of raids then massacred my family, which made for less entertaining viewing.)

#82 2013-07-03 14:59:44

Ludicrosity

Good one zed! wink

Well placed "dog released behind you" traps are great. A bit ironic that the guy with the uber-expensive, highfalutin house gets taken down by the oldest trick in the book. I've fallen for that trick many times; I assume we all have at one point or other.

I think my favorite trap I've seen was one where I ended up sealed in between a couple power doors without a crowbar. I forget how I managed to walk into that one...

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-07-03 15:00:30)

#83 2013-07-03 16:30:11

Blip

Ah, the simply dog-behind-you trick. A couple of my houses have gotten 30+ kills total using that method, including a couple of the ultra-rich. I will rarely fall for it now, though, as so many of the lower houses use that kind of defense. They can also be easily broken; crowbar the powered door the dog waits behind (usually) then drug it. Some better dog traps I've seen use that dog to flip switches, making drugging the dog a less useful tactic. However, if the robber is inexperienced, careless, or just fails to see the path of the dog behind them, it would take a gun to get out. And frankly, I have never seen anyone take a gun on a scouting trip. They'll only occasionally be used to kill dogs protecting the family or to kill dogs at range as part of braking an already scouted trap, but not just as protection from a possible dog behind you.

Also, Ludicrosity, that was my trap you fell into (I think). I was using v8-style looping electronics to make switches work in unexpected ways; two "off" doors, connected by a rotary switch, seems safe to step onto; after all, you're only connecting the power of two things without power. However, that rotary switch breaks a circuit, causing power that went across it to do so no longer and then loop around, invert, and power both doors. wink

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#84 2013-07-05 04:32:39

largestherb

ahh, seeing as v12 breaks this house and isn't easily adapted to the new pet rules.. i think i'll post my mspaint working out in here tongue

this person was someone Norfleet. i liked it a lot.

7doN5RM.png

#85 2013-07-08 20:33:07

pottage

Hey herb, that was my house! Only been playing this game just over a week, this was the first house I was really proud of. Then V12 came out and it didn't work sad Don't get me wrong, I agree with the the reasoning behind the new animal rules, I was just gutted that my first good, $5k+ house was nerfed. Glad you appreciated my house, got some fun kills with it. Did it have a good kill ratio by the way? I felt like I took out a few robbers, just never counted how many.

Did you crack the house then? Only one person (I think) got to my vault successfully without using any tools and I assumed they just got really lucky, but it could have been you.

Last edited by pottage (2013-07-09 08:13:56)

#86 2013-07-08 20:38:59

pottage

Here was a copy I made of my map:

http://castlefortify.com/c/e9d3626

A few concrete walls hadn't been installed yet, but all the wiring and traps are in place. And I'd added an extra doggy door in the lower room with the rotary switches, so that if a robber toggled the middle switch it opened the powered door to release the hounds. I do enjoy releasing dogs when a player makes a mistake.

Last edited by pottage (2013-07-09 06:27:44)

#87 2013-07-23 14:02:23

largestherb

oh dang, whoever marc.. topper? ahh i am bad at looking at the names.. whoever was second on the list just now.. great house! i managed to stumble into the correct route and figure out the puzzle. nice electronics work indeed!

edit: daniel steven smith came back big_smile

Last edited by largestherb (2013-07-23 19:04:03)

#88 2013-07-23 23:52:12

dalleck

largestherb wrote:

edit: daniel steven smith came back big_smile

I know.  WTF?  That guy just doesn't die.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#89 2013-08-08 10:28:23

bey bey

Finally, I have my paintings back. Paired with lots and lots of ugly shite, but still.... I WISH there was a way to throw paintings to the curb somehow.

Maybe I'll just put my safe next to the door for a minute for some Robin Hood to find and liberate all the paintings. I don't want to monopolise 2 thirds of all the paintings in my house, that sucks.

Also, stupid enough to forget that one can't come back for the rest of the tools any longer. Only needed about a third of what I brought, shame that all went to waste. Lucky Mr Desai...

- Dalleck

#90 2013-08-08 11:39:58

ukuko

bey bey wrote:

Also, stupid enough to forget that one can't come back for the rest of the tools any longer. Only needed about a third of what I brought, shame that all went to waste. Lucky Mr Desai...

I thought tools were only 'gifted' upon death?

#91 2013-08-08 13:30:06

bey bey

Yeah, that was about v12 or 13 that this changed. Sucks, I could have beaten that house beyond repair but thought "why bother, I got what I wanted, I'll just come back for my tools and leave it very easy to repair".

- Dalleck

#92 2013-08-08 17:50:14

joshwithguitar

So you're Castro, Bey Bey? I guess I must be Mr Desai. I didn't end up getting any of your tools.

I see you don't have the paintings any more - did you set up your safe like you said you would and let some suicidal steal them (who has since died)? If so, $32684 is a lot to spend for $1133 thousand dollars from my vault and releasing the paintings into the wild tongue. I'm surprised given the amount you had to spend on tools you didn't just steal the paintings off Callahan - it only took me around $16k to get him in the end. Sorry about all the ugly paintings, in an earlier life I decided to make paintings valuable things by buying out all of the cheap ones (some were about $4). Callahan then sacked me, and so I got them all back again. It looks like my plan worked - there are now only 4 paintings < $5000.

Interestingly, before I got Callahan, Montoya attacked my house with an extremely similarly priced set of tools. ($32384). After reaching both my vault and wife (and not shooting her) he left through my front door. Maybe he thought I'd get the leftover tools? With that kind of money why not attack Callahan? My house was a bit of a façade back then as I was saving up for tools.

#93 2013-08-08 23:53:08

Simoon

I gess I must be Mr Montoya.

@josh : My goal was not to steal you but to look at your defenses (a kind of technology watch).
I tend to avoid to actualy steal people with pure brute force unless they try to bruteforce me.

I also took a peek at Mr Callahan's house in a previous life and I did it again after you got him.

#94 2013-08-09 01:10:08

joshwithguitar

@Simoon
Interesting smile. Do you ever go in and try to solve them without tools after you've had a good look? (I imagine this could be pretty nerve wracking with magic dance houses).

I can see how brute forcing someone's house can set off a spiral of revenge (the reason I focussed Callahan was because he brute forced through one of my previous lives and stole all of my paintings, I was possibly a bit crueller to him than he was to me though).

#95 2013-08-09 01:59:20

bey bey

joshwithguitar wrote:

So you're Castro, Bey Bey? I guess I must be Mr Desai. I didn't end up getting any of your tools.

I see you don't have the paintings any more - did you set up your safe like you said you would and let some suicidal steal them (who has since died)? If so, $32684 is a lot to spend for $1133 thousand dollars from my vault and releasing the paintings into the wild tongue. I'm surprised given the amount you had to spend on tools you didn't just steal the paintings off Callahan - it only took me around $16k to get him in the end. Sorry about all the ugly paintings, in an earlier life I decided to make paintings valuable things by buying out all of the cheap ones (some were about $4). Callahan then sacked me, and so I got them all back again. It looks like my plan worked - there are now only 4 paintings < $5000.

Interestingly, before I got Callahan, Montoya attacked my house with an extremely similarly priced set of tools. ($32384). After reaching both my vault and wife (and not shooting her) he left through my front door. Maybe he thought I'd get the leftover tools? With that kind of money why not attack Callahan? My house was a bit of a façade back then as I was saving up for tools.

Indeed!! I was going to go for Callahan, I was just building up tools since his house looked like it might take something along the lines of 30k in tools (you never know what you'll need after all, and once you've been three ladders short to a safe, you end up to rather bring 30k to be safe than waste 20k...). But just as I wanted to go, the painting had made their way to you. Since the tools were already bought, and since I wanted to release the paintings into the wild, that was worth it. 

Yeah, I put the safe next to the door and used an account I bought for a friend (who isn't really using it sadly) to do the Robin Hood since I didn't really want some other well defended house owner to just take them and for the hoarding thing to start over.

That thing with Montoya is odd. Still, the funniest  possibility might be that he was going to enter another house and clicked on yours by mistake. It does happen, and it's hilarious when done with too many tools.

- Dalleck

#96 2013-08-09 07:17:07

joshwithguitar

I had spent a lot of money in my previous life on Callahan (over 30k total over a few trips), so I know what you mean about being one ladder away - two times I ended up with only one concrete wall between me and his vault (the second I brought more tools but made a mistake which cost me a decent chunk of them). When I finally got him (as Desai) I used my very last ladder to get over the pits surrounding his vault (he had modified his house by this time).

#97 2013-08-09 08:17:40

bey bey

big_smile neat!

But it's one of those things people don't realise, how easy it tends to be to cut through a magic dance house since there'll have to be passages for the dogs. Usually, it'll be about 10-15k max I guess cutting through the workings, especially since most houses are alike now. I honestly expect that once that knowledge spreads around, some of the monoculture will change.

- Dalleck

#98 2013-08-09 08:21:10

largestherb

i spent a good $70,000 vandalising callahan after they had gone around destroying the neighbourhood, but they had summoned some repair money out of nowhere and seemed completely fixed up a few hours later.

not sure i've bothered playing since then.. guess i have officially grown tired of the magic dance that costs the same to figure out as it costs to brute to the vault..

#99 2013-08-10 06:26:32

Simoon

joshwithguitar wrote:

@Simoon
Interesting smile. Do you ever go in and try to solve them without tools after you've had a good look? (I imagine this could be pretty nerve wracking with magic dance houses).

I can see how brute forcing someone's house can set off a spiral of revenge (the reason I focussed Callahan was because he brute forced through one of my previous lives and stole all of my paintings, I was possibly a bit crueller to him than he was to me though).

No : I already have enough issues to solve my own traps without being fried / crippled / mauled because I clicked 3 times on left instead of 2 wink

Last edited by Simoon (2013-08-10 06:31:25)

#100 2013-08-14 04:10:21

Ludicrosity

I just robbed Mr. Rogers.

Board footer