The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-10 07:27:33

bitbutter

Tripped switch states don't persist after vault reach?

A robber reached the vault in my house, and in the process caused a toggle switch to change from on to off. But when the next robber arrived, the switch was back to its initial position of on again. This was unexpected to me, I expected the switch to stay off until I'd rebuilt the house again. Is this normal behaviour?

#2 2013-07-10 07:47:25

ukuko

Re: Tripped switch states don't persist after vault reach?

Yep. You can build a 'one-time' button by making it inaccessible to the robber, who then has to use an animal to press it. Once the button has been pressed the animal falls into a pit/fries on grid and the switch remains unaccessible to the next robber (unless they bring enough tools to get to it).

#3 2013-07-10 08:00:40

bitbutter

This is almost exactly what i'd done, except the animal wasn't killed, but 'wedged' in a part of the map it couldn't get out of. The animal was still in the wedged position when the next robber arrived, but the switch that the animal had tripped had reset. This was unexpected to me.

#4 2013-07-10 08:35:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

All un-dead and un-damaged objects spring back into their starting state for the next robber.

They remain "down" or in whatever state the last robber left them in just for you to see them in your first post-robbery edit (as you're inspecting the damage).  As soon as you go back to self-test, you'll see them pop back up.  And they will remain popped back up if you leave the self test and return to editing.

Sleeping pit bulls are another example of this.  When you first return home, you will find them asleep (so you can see how the robber got through), but as soon as you toggle to self-test and back (by pressing Done), they will wake up.

The idea with animal-triggered switches (where the animal moves and gets stuck somewhere) is that the animal WON'T be able to hit that same switch again next time (because it won't be in the same position.  But the switch won't stay down forever.

#5 2013-07-10 08:38:59

bitbutter

"All un-dead and un-damaged objects spring back into their starting state for the next robber."

That's the part that was causing me confusion, thanks.

Board footer