The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-10 15:07:26

gyuri

Multiple vaults?

The idea might have been discussed in the past, I don't know. Let's imagine you can buy another vault and your money is divided between the two (and the wife of course, if still alive). The homeowner's benefit is obvious: you don't lose all your money when robbed successfully. But there is also a benefit for the game itself: your house remains attractive to robbers even immediately after successfully robbed once.

Of course you would have to prove you can reach both vaults in one run without using any tools.

#2 2013-07-11 06:27:08

largestherb

Re: Multiple vaults?

right now the partner feels very much like a second vault - just with some different rules.

and i have found myself simply killing off my whole family since the unlimited backpack change - they are just taking up too much room for my evil plans, and are a liability if i leave them alive!

#3 2013-07-11 07:54:13

jere

and i have found myself simply killing off my whole family since the unlimited backpack change - they are just taking up too much room for my evil plans, and are a liability if i leave them alive!

Oh, I forgot you have 2 accounts. How I envy you! I'm tempted to buy a second account, since there is no other way to kill your family and I can't do much of anything with the current starting money.

Re: multiple vaults, I suggested multiple floors earlier. If that ever got implemented (and I'm not holding my breath here), one vault per floor would be cool.

It seems like the core problem with the game now is, as has been mentioned before, everyone provides one target to rob (two if you include the wife), but wants to rob many more targets. The end result is consistently a house scarcity. It makes me sad face that 3000+ people have played the game and yet I sometimes see 2 names on the list.

Multiple vaults might help somewhat by providing more than 2 targets per house.

I'm still convinced, however, that the answer is keeping each house in play. I explained it here, but tl;dr: pay salary indefinitely, prevent multiple robberies by the same person, and revert to original house state every time.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#4 2013-07-11 12:16:23

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I considered multiple vaults back in the on-paper design days.

I decided against it because it complicates house self testing (you have to reach multiple vaults before success?)

I agree that there is a house scarcity problem.  But I don't want to just reset all houses in the way that has been suggested.  Coming back to a damaged house is a really important aesthetic part of the game.  So is sneaking into a house and finding it already damaged.

As it stands, each house on the list can potentially be robbed 3 times before disappearing.  The vault must be hit twice before it starts losing money, and then the wife can be reached.

#5 2013-07-11 12:44:39

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, it looks like we've had about 24 active players in the past 24 hour period.

#6 2013-07-11 13:29:47

jere

Also, it looks like we've had about 24 active players in the past 24 hour period.

Are you saying the house scarcity issue is caused primarily by lack of active players? If so, I'm curious how many players you see active in the last week and last month.

Last edited by jere (2013-07-11 13:30:14)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#7 2013-07-11 14:59:56

Ludicrosity

Yeah, it seems like ever since the last update the place has been a complete ghost town. I can't get my house off the ground because every time I log in there are zero houses to rob and I have a balance of $0. There is nothing I can do.

#8 2013-07-12 13:45:14

paciferal

An idea just popped into my head which I'm sure will never happen, but I'm going to say what it was just because it seems so cool to me.

I was thinking that one way to increase replayability at any given moment, even if there are few houses to rob...would be to allow multiple robbers in a house.

I know it would be very difficult to implement, and it would change the chess-like simplicity of the game. But perhaps it would be a different mode for the game. Maybe players would also have the choice to make a 'robber duel' map. There would have to be a limit to how much time could be take per movement, and the tools used would probably have to be tweaked as well...but seriously, how much fun would it be to make a map with switches and traps that you could use against another robber while you're in the house?

#9 2013-07-12 15:49:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I see 10 active houses at the moment.

32 active players in the past 24 hours.
53 active players in the past 48 hours.
174 active in the past week.
570 active in the past month.
635 active in the past 2 months.

Yes, it has something to do with not enough active players.

However, the latest update did make it worse, because it made the conditions under which a broken house still earns money more strict (now it stops earning after two TOTAL vault reaches, where it used to stop earning only after two CONSECUTIVE vault reaches).

Before, a house could be robbed many, many times, as long as there was one "walk-out" between each vault reach.  Now, a house can be robbed at most 3 times.

There were more houses before, but most of the extra ones were broken houses that were hanging around and being milked over and over.

What we have now is a more realistic picture of the active house population.

#10 2013-07-12 15:58:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, regarding multiple robbers in the same house.... well, I'd love to see that mod!  smile

#11 2013-07-13 01:47:53

largestherb

jere wrote:

Oh, I forgot you have 2 accounts. How I envy you! I'm tempted to buy a second account, since there is no other way to kill your family and I can't do much of anything with the current starting money.

when starting a new house i usually make a very simple wooden maze with no danger and just leave my house overnight and the family are usually massacred by the time i get back!

it is still interesting to watch the tapes of people coming in and killing your children for no gain whatsoever! hmm, i guess vandalism is a gain?

jasonrohrer wrote:

I see 10 active houses at the moment.

32 active players in the past 24 hours.
53 active players in the past 48 hours.
174 active in the past week.
570 active in the past month.
635 active in the past 2 months.

i really like seeing these stats smile

Last edited by largestherb (2013-07-13 01:49:48)

Board footer