The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-12 18:43:51

Blip

Too many Paintings?

I recently saw that there are multiple paintings down to 1$! I rectified this by buying them and dying like an idiot. tongue However, this makes the point that there are too many paintings per player. I find myself using my initial 2000$ to build painting collections, get them stolen, and then steal them back so that I can have both the starting money and some nice art. This shouldn't be viable! I don't know how to fix this, but I know it stems from a few problems:

Some paintings are preferable to others; my personal favorites are Major Malfunction, Ko, Prism, Watermelon, and the Sky pair.

There aren't enough players so that any painting is valuable. With so many paintings, only the "best" have become status symbols, while the rest are disregarded.

Lastly, non-liked (by the purchasing user) paintings are rarely bought up early in the auction, and instead are usually selected when cheap by poorer players who simply want a painting.

All this results in a conveyer belt upon which paintings sit on, only being bought up at the very end. Where the end is varies on the painting, but pretty much all players can afford something to put in their gallery. This contrasts to v5, when paintings were reserved for the elite. The simple fix would be to cut down on paintings, or to increase the end price. These would make paintings a true status symbol yet again.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#2 2013-07-12 19:16:45

Ludicrosity

Re: Too many Paintings?

Version 5 was before my time. What was different then that made only the elite have paintings?

From what I can tell, right now everyone is too poor to afford non-cheap paintings. When every dime counts, you don't think about spending money on paintings. Ironically, this causes nobody to buy any, leading to a collapse in their price until suddenly they are all dirt cheap and anyone can buy them.

#3 2013-07-13 01:49:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

In v5, the rich were invulnerable forever in their 24-bit combination lock houses (backpacks only had 8 slots, so even the rich couldn't rob the rich).

There was one point where every painting in the game was held by two people, and a full week went by with 0 paintings in the auction house ever!

#4 2013-07-13 01:52:33

largestherb

v5 had completely impossible houses that were only solvable if you cheated. which is probably why people started cheateding, since nobody seems to be cheatering since blueprints got removed and backpack got unlimited!

i like when people mention their favourite paintings on the forum so i can find them and make them mine big_smile

#5 2013-07-13 01:54:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Cheating is harder now that the maps are encrypted in the protocol.

Before, you could just copy-paste into CastleFortify, even with an un-modded client.

Board footer