The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-07-08 08:02:55

MrWillsauce

Re: Show me yours I'll show you mine.

Thanks for posting that, Dalleck. I really wanted to know how that house worked.

#27 2013-07-08 12:15:04

Ludicrosity

MrWillsauce wrote:

Thanks for posting that, Dalleck. I really wanted to know how that house worked.

Agreed. I tried fooling around in that house several times but got nowhere. Thanks. smile

#28 2013-07-08 14:06:06

Blip

My first v12 design, now officially retired: http://castlefortify.com/c/1c4b775

I've been meaning to rebuild and rework this design, but haven't. I figured I'd finally post it here, as it had its fair share of success in the first days of v12 when I designed it. I was second on the list (until some people with v11 riches came back onto the scene after building new houses), and got some kills, especially after somebody killed my wife and broke my trap. Somebody eventually laddered over my pits, spending $3600 to steal about $2000.

It was originally a v11 house, but I added windows and pits to v12-ify it. What I liked about this house was that many people died in it despite being able to see the animals that were killing them! Now, most houses are a cat following a one way magic dance path, with cut detection implemented through wired walls.The only option is to cut through and then write down the dance, come back, and perform it.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#29 2013-07-09 18:35:37

Raisane

http://castlefortify.com/c/bee33a9

this is pretty much a troll house, you can walk straight to the safe, but if you take a detour through the walls, you'll end up not being able to enter and thus forced to leave the house OR simply use water bottles, which every sane person carries around atm. can also be fixed by simply having a ladder with you if you mess up your turns, but it's really incomplete and won't work unless some updates support it (which i doubt)

#30 2013-07-11 03:48:31

largestherb

this is kind of related to the thread topic, but for brewington.. try scouting where the cat goes!

all the tapes i'm watching, only two people have even tried to look down there!

#31 2013-07-11 06:20:58

dalleck

largestherb wrote:

this is kind of related to the thread topic, but for brewington.. try scouting where the cat goes!

all the tapes i'm watching, only two people have even tried to look down there!

Your place can't even be scouted for less than $2700, and that doesn't even really get you that far.  Besides, there is no money/houses around.  Add to this that your house is really not that interesting to break, and I should have taken all your money when I had the chance when you had the last design.  So, meh.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#32 2013-07-11 06:35:49

largestherb

dalleck wrote:

Your place can't even be scouted for less than $2700, and that doesn't even really get you that far.

i didn't want people coming in with a suicidal stream of $2k tool sets picking it apart super easily! $3000 worth of ladders gets you directly to the cat's spot. dogs can easily be tempted into pits!

once you figure out the first part, you can get to the next part. and scout that out. and so on! i made it nice and segmented in hopes people would try and figure it out 'properly,' somewhat reminiscent of blueprints.

#33 2013-07-11 06:46:25

dalleck

largestherb wrote:
dalleck wrote:

Your place can't even be scouted for less than $2700, and that doesn't even really get you that far.

i didn't want people coming in with a suicidal stream of $2k tool sets picking it apart super easily! $3000 worth of ladders gets you directly to the cat's spot. dogs can easily be tempted into pits!

once you figure out the first part, you can get to the next part. and scout that out. and so on! i made it nice and segmented in hopes people would try and figure it out 'properly,' somewhat reminiscent of blueprints.

You are missing the point.  If you would kindly look at the house list you would see that there is no money.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#34 2013-07-11 07:04:52

ukuko

That's not Brewington's fault though... as far as I know.

No players, no money!

Also it's summertime and everyone is outside sucking up the vitamin D.

#35 2013-07-11 07:38:37

dalleck

ukuko wrote:

That's not Brewington's fault though... as far as I know.

No players, no money!

Also it's summertime and everyone is outside sucking up the vitamin D.

This was all in reply to herbs post pointing out how nobody was scouting his house, I did not suggest it was his fault.

#36 2013-07-11 08:07:10

ukuko

What am I saying?! It's all Brewington's fault. I saw him in his back yard, stoking his money-fire.

#37 2013-07-11 15:10:51

Ludicrosity

Yeah, I started to scout your house (herb) a long while back (when you commented about how someone was in your house for a really long time). I didn't have much money to spend on tools then and made some careless mistakes while scouting which wasted some tools. You put in some new dogs and added security after that, but it didn't even matter. That was the last time I've had any money for tools whatsoever. I don't think I've ever had more than $2500 in tools since then.

I've had some houses that cost a lot more than $2500 since then, but houses you can build up piece by piece by finding a few $100 here, then finding some more there... So long as you spend the money as soon as you get it, it won't be stolen when you're robbed. Getting $4000 or more in tools though is really hard unless you already have a secure house because you need that cash all at once. Even a minute or two is enough time for someone to swipe it.

I have completely given up on any house that can't be scouted with starting funds since there is currently no money in the economy right now.

#38 2013-07-16 21:44:17

azaghal

Sadly this evening I met my demise in my own home. I failed to visit my fallen wife and two children before my trek to the vault, so now I am visiting them permanently.

http://castlefortify.com/c/5633e89

#39 2013-07-17 02:23:02

dalleck

azaghal wrote:

Sadly this evening I met my demise in my own home. I failed to visit my fallen wife and two children before my trek to the vault, so now I am visiting them permanently.

http://castlefortify.com/c/5633e89

I am pretty sure I killed your wife.  My condolences to you (late) and the rest of the family (late).

In other news, I have found that leaving a big open space is dangerous for ones family.  The new way to kill dogs is to lure them into the open and meat them.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-17 02:24:56)

#40 2013-07-17 10:11:34

azaghal

dalleck wrote:

I am pretty sure I killed your wife.  My condolences to you (late) and the rest of the family (late).

In other news, I have found that leaving a big open space is dangerous for ones family.  The new way to kill dogs is to lure them into the open and meat them.

Indeed, I learned that the hard way! I passed on the knowledge to another poor homeowner just before my demise (although he had set things up more cleverly than I had and it took me several tries to get it right).

#41 2013-07-18 02:25:24

dalleck

I just died on a server time-out fixing my house, so I may as well share my design.

The best part is the timing-lock on the cat.  A player trying to get the dog to hit the power earlier than 8 steps (using a ladder) or hitting it after it passes the trapdoor (11 steps) terminates the cats life, and the trap.  Of course, I could have done this with the old double-impulse switch, but I wanted to try something else.

http://castlefortify.com/c/7861a7a

Also, Jason: Any chance that if ones times out when editing an untested (broken) house, it just reverts to the unbroken state instead of killing the player?
I honestly can't see how that can be abused.  You can already view tapes without fixing your house anyway.

Oh, and Pressure Plates please wink  They would have made my design infinitely smaller and more flexible.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-18 03:40:54)

#42 2013-07-18 11:51:37

pottage

I would also like to ask if the game could handle time-outs and 'error request login failed' errors better without the house being lost completely. In the last couple of weeks I would say I've lost nearly as many houses to time outs and momentary losses of internet connection then I have from actually dying. I can't be the only player with a sketchy internet connection who's been frustrated by loosing houses so easily.

#43 2013-07-18 16:52:01

bey bey

Second - it's incredibly frustrating when it happens. (Also happened due to program crashes with me a few times...) It might be done by giving a five minute window to log on again and resume whatever you where doing. Five (or ten?) minutes might be enough to get the internet up again and to get to safety. The server should have to be able to do this on login ID alone, ignoring IP or anything else. Log-out from frustration at your imminent death - die after 5 (or ten) minutes. Log in again within that time - pick up where you left things.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#44 2013-07-18 18:02:48

Ludicrosity

Does this only happen if you lose your connection to the server while testing/robbing a house? My wireless router is really spotty and I think it has cut off for a few minutes while I've been building my house or browsing houses on the list, but it didn't kill me. I would expect it to kill me if I were robbing a house though because otherwise you could simply exit the game if you were about to die.

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-07-18 18:03:48)

#45 2013-07-18 19:17:52

dalleck

Ludicrosity wrote:

Does this only happen if you lose your connection to the server while testing/robbing a house? My wireless router is really spotty and I think it has cut off for a few minutes while I've been building my house or browsing houses on the list, but it didn't kill me. I would expect it to kill me if I were robbing a house though because otherwise you could simply exit the game if you were about to die.

No, as my death happened while I was building, in-between tests.

And yes, I wouldn't expect a grace period after disconnecting while robbing.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-18 19:19:05)

#46 2013-07-19 02:22:57

bey bey

Well, why not? All it would allow you to do is log back on an die if the logout was to get out of a tight spot. No problem there.

But I got killed by a crash while doing harmless scouting (no danger) and it cost me a 40+k house. That's VERY annoying... And my internet can be spotty too.

- Dalleck

#47 2013-07-19 03:29:14

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

Well, why not? All it would allow you to do is log back on an die if the logout was to get out of a tight spot. No problem there.

But I got killed by a crash while doing harmless scouting (no danger) and it cost me a 40+k house. That's VERY annoying... And my internet can be spotty too.

Problem is, the client (as far as I know) doesn't record anything until you finish the robbery/die.  Thus, if there was a re-login grace period, it would have no information to resume the robbery.

To enable disconnect-grace would mean that each move would have to be sent to the server on the fly, something which Jason doesn't want to do because of the way he has built the infrastructure.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-19 04:46:56)

#48 2013-07-19 05:16:07

jere

Why couldn't you just cache the moves locally? You could discard them as soon as the robbery is sent successfully or you get the time out. That's not really a major infrastructure change and I don't see any way it could be exploited either.

Anyway, this sounds like a huge usability issue.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#49 2013-07-19 05:53:55

dalleck

jere wrote:

Why couldn't you just cache the moves locally? You could discard them as soon as the robbery is sent successfully or you get the time out. That's not really a major infrastructure change and I don't see any way it could be exploited either.

Anyway, this sounds like a huge usability issue.

Hmmm, I guess it doesn't need to send each move back in real-time...

The game currently does 'cache' the robbery moves while you are robbing, sending that move list back to the server when you complete your rob attempt.  It is feasible that the move list is kept ready if a disconnection happens or the client is shut down.  It could then be send back to the server on reconnection or login and take you right back to the place you were up to in the robbery, as bey bey said.  The server would still need that 5 minute cap to keep the house free for you, though.

If that works then this could solve a great deal of frustrating house losses from crash/disconnect.

#50 2013-07-19 08:02:52

bey bey

Oh right, since it's not on the server it should be even easier than I expected. The client has to allow for picking up on a "previous session", unless the server says no because of timeout.

- Dalleck

Board footer