The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-24 04:41:22

dalleck

Ok, there is another Castle Doctrine in town

The Mighty Quest for Epic Loot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uhGUXkCTI4

Sure, it is an action rpg, but the similarities are shocking.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-24 04:43:32)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#2 2013-07-24 05:05:46

colorfusion

Re: Ok, there is another Castle Doctrine in town

Similar core idea but gameplay seems to be quite a lot different.

Looks like they've gone for more fighting and character power and less scouting and puzzles.

I dislike their waiting to build traps and especially how it's bypassable by paying real money, something as unlimited as that could make it pay to win.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-07-24 05:11:18)

#3 2013-07-24 05:06:56

bey bey

I'm sure Jason has something lined up where one can unlock the wife and kids as playable characters via currency input. And for a limited time only, and 50 bucks, play as Chi chi the lovable Chihuaha!

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#4 2013-07-24 05:51:03

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

I'm sure Jason has something lined up where one can unlock the wife and kids as playable characters via currency input. And for a limited time only, and 50 bucks, play as Chi chi the lovable Chihuaha!

I am currently trying to level up my crowbar skill to level 6.  It unlocks the 'revenge ability' where you summon your dead family to fight for you.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-24 05:51:36)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#5 2013-07-24 05:55:21

Noshire

I could even see this evolving into a new genre altogether - just like it happened with minecraft. building defenses and breaking other people's traps is a very rewarding and fun core mechanic, and it can be taken in a lot of different directions. Between the two variations here, I must say I do much prefer the roguelike puzzly way, but I'm curious what other designs will come up. I've even had similar concepts cross my mind in the past and might end up prototyping something myself, it's extremely interesting game design terrain to explore.

What I do strongly dislike about Quest for Loot, though, is the seemingly strong monetization aspect of it.

#6 2013-07-24 05:55:42

bey bey

Bey bey has unlocked the "cat lady" achievement by placing 100 cats.

- Dalleck

#7 2013-07-24 06:05:46

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

I think I unlocked the stupid @&$#! didn't bring a brick achievement dozens of times.

#8 2013-07-24 06:45:03

largestherb

Noshire wrote:

I could even see this evolving into a new genre altogether - just like it happened with minecraft. building defenses and breaking other people's traps is a very rewarding and fun core mechanic, and it can be taken in a lot of different directions.

not to mention the developers don't have to designate that much time to map creation smile

this looks fun, bit of a torchlight feel graphic-wise. not sure if it looks fun enough for me to go and play it right now, though.

#9 2013-07-24 16:49:38

Ludicrosity

bey bey wrote:

Epic

#10 2013-07-24 17:00:07

bey bey

dalleck wrote:
bey bey wrote:

I think I unlocked the stupid @&$#! didn't bring a brick achievement dozens of times.

I have the same issue with water bottles. Kicking yourself for not bringing $2 worth of refreshing h2o.

- Dalleck

#11 2013-07-25 03:32:26

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

I have the same issue with water bottles. Kicking yourself for not bringing $2 worth of refreshing h2o.

I think you will find that bottle of 'water' is actually the bitter tears of your victims.  Best not to drink it.

#12 2013-07-25 04:38:55

bey bey

dalleck wrote:
bey bey wrote:

I think you will find that bottle of 'water' is actually the bitter tears of your victims.  Best not to drink it.

(Homer voice:) Mmmmmrmmm salty.

Also, it might be my own tears when I cleverly blocked a way to escape out of the house and find myself on the other side of it. Why oh whyyyyy?! *sobs into water bottle*

- Dalleck

#13 2013-07-28 22:28:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Funny story... you know who first told me about Mighty Quest?

John Romero!

I was all excited, telling him about The Castle Doctrine and how cool of an idea it was (it had just launched public alpha a few days earlier).  And he was like, dude, I already had that idea a few years ago, but never ended up making it (join the club, Romero).  But then he was like, someone's already making a game like that (and later he sent me the link).  Drat!

Board footer