The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2013-07-28 17:57:47

Ludicrosity

Re: Show me yours I'll show you mine.

I've finished my two day robbing spree and am moving back to building a house. It's just that every time I've tried to build my old house back, I have ended up killing myself in some stupid way after about a day and a half. This has been going on for at least a week... hmm

Mr. Mcdaniel was one I took down after figuring his house out. I used the funds from his vault to get to his wife, but he's moved his stuff around and is most likely going to repair his house. I was planning on posting my Castle Fortify recreation of his house based on hand drawn notes, but since he seems to be keeping his design I won't just yet. I'm curious who he is though - if it's a member of the forum.

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-07-28 17:58:39)

#77 2013-07-28 18:14:41

bey bey

Oh well, fair enough. I only saw that it had about 7k in it and lots of blown walls that looked like it cost more than must have been in the safe so I suspected something was afoot...

I'm still surprised that my first attempt at getting back into the game without any real refinement or so made it to over 50k worth of defences and was only robbed successfully twice in the process. Somehow I seem to have been spared the real hostility but killed about 100 people over the building phases.

edit: I know the feeling of killing myself during testing. I actually managed to do that while showing my girlfriend the game some time back - mauled by a pitbull one step before the door. And I have been clenching severely during the last test with a new security stage in place... Still, one gets to appreciate that part of the game - for the tenseness as well as for the effect that one tends to limit the difficulty of magic dances etc. (I could NEVER remember a Mr Smith type thing!)

Last edited by bey bey (2013-07-28 18:21:31)

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#78 2013-07-28 19:26:04

Ludicrosity

bey bey wrote:

I actually managed to do that while showing my girlfriend the game some time back - mauled by a pitbull one step before the door.

Ouch... sad I've become accustomed to the all too familiar feeling of ...aaand everything's gone... in an instant. Just like that.

#79 2013-07-29 03:08:55

colorfusion

Just lost Mr Smith from taking a risk for $2000, GG Mr Nash.

http://i.imgur.com/8UR3G6o.png

#80 2013-07-29 03:12:51

dalleck

colorfusion wrote:

Ludicrosity wrote:

...aaand everything's gone... in an instant. Just like that.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#81 2013-07-29 03:27:23

colorfusion

Here's a recording of me taking on Victor, was planning to cut through the middle after I got enough money and take the vault myself, but not enough money for tools now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IznvCqsebk

Pretty interesting to note that his vault is probably in bottom right rather than top right.

#82 2013-07-29 03:38:09

bey bey

RIP Mr Smith - quite a shame, I died a few times in your house about 5 versions back, so here's a tip of the hat to consistency. I think I even laddered / exploded through your house once, while the safe was at the upper left. Later I came again and you had moved it. Ah the abundancy of cash that was around back then.

And yup, I'd assume as much, it's going to be as far away as possible from the laddering population.

- Dalleck

#83 2013-07-29 03:40:30

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

RIP Mr Smith - quite a shame, I died a few times in your house about 5 versions back, so here's a tip of the hat to consistency. I think I even laddered / exploded through your house once, while the safe was at the upper left. Later I came again and you had moved it. Ah the abundancy of cash that was around back then.

And yup, I'd assume as much, it's going to be as far away as possible from the laddering population.

I too have fond memories of blasting through Mr Smiths place back in the day.  If I recall, I managed to get lucky and just wander upon the safe with my 2 ladders and my many boom booms.

edit: Wait, that wasn't Smith... it was the guy with the trapdoors literally at the doorway.. ahh a long time back 'twas..

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-29 03:41:22)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#84 2013-07-29 03:49:52

bey bey

Taber? wink

- Dalleck

#85 2013-07-29 03:54:05

dalleck

bey bey wrote:

Taber? wink

Taber.

Yes thank you.  Him and his bloody trapdoor deathtrap trap.

Last edited by dalleck (2013-07-29 03:55:46)

#86 2013-07-29 16:50:22

jere

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#87 2013-07-29 18:36:23

Ludicrosity

jere wrote:

Oh man! Too bad I missed it... Rather sporting of you to throw yourself out like that.

It looks like Callahan saw your post first (maybe?).

colorfusion wrote:

sad What a loss! sad

#88 2013-07-29 19:16:39

jere

Oh man! Too bad I missed it... Rather sporting of you to throw yourself out like that.

It looks like Callahan saw your post first (maybe?).

Nah. I was going to do that earlier if I had gotten to $100k (but that was before I got robbed by the dual account scoundrel).

Funny thing is I just decided to fix my broken house this morning and I figured if I was going to be robbed it'd be through an actual solving. Nope. Mr. Callahan brought 62 ladders.

Now that I have nothing, just want ya'll to see it.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#89 2013-07-29 19:54:28

Ludicrosity

jere wrote:

Funny thing is I just decided to fix my broken house this morning and I figured if I was going to be robbed it'd be through an actual solving. Nope. Mr. Callahan brought 62 ladders.

!

Well that's ironic. It also explains why he isn't sitting on $100k+ right now.

#90 2013-07-29 23:05:12

azaghal

Logged in this evening to discover my family had been brutally murdered! A Shawn Timothy Perkins spent in excess of $15000 to pry $1444 from my wife's cold fingers...

That wouldn't have happened to have been you now, Ludicrosity, would it wink

Here are my plans, since I certainly don't have enough money to repair:

http://castlefortify.com/c/181e88f

My favorite touch was the first trapdoor trap, but that also may have earned me the privilege of being visited by Shawn Timothy for such a poor return rate...

#91 2013-07-30 03:01:12

bey bey

Sad. wink

Strange things are afoot on the block. NO house with more than 10k!! Wait a minute. That means that I should be on the top of the list?! Gtg spend some money...

- Dalleck

#92 2013-07-30 14:40:10

Ludicrosity

azaghal wrote:

Logged in this evening to discover my family had been brutally murdered! A Shawn Timothy Perkins spent in excess of $15000 to pry $1444 from my wife's cold fingers...

That wouldn't have happened to have been you now, Ludicrosity, would it wink

Here are my plans, since I certainly don't have enough money to repair:

http://castlefortify.com/c/181e88f

My favorite touch was the first trapdoor trap, but that also may have earned me the privilege of being visited by Shawn Timothy for such a poor return rate...

Yep, that was me. If you're wondering where I got the $15,000 to spend getting to your wife, the answer is your vault! wink

Yours was a nice house. I remember a while back when you were first building it, you had your vault next to the entrance, behind a closed door. I got so used to running in there to grab a few hundred dollars for free that I ended up losing my own house when one day I barged through the door without looking around and instead found no vault but trap doors and a power door that closed behind me. Whoops!

#93 2013-07-31 13:48:49

pottage

Damn pit bulls, nearly made it a week with this house for the first time. I think I was Delbert Aaron Lynn, but I might be wrong:

http://castlefortify.com/c/8ce4c66

edit: or maybe Michael L Wakefield?

Last edited by pottage (2013-07-31 13:49:18)

#94 2013-07-31 16:33:53

bey bey

pottage wrote:

Damn pit bulls, nearly made it a week with this house for the first time. I think I was Delbert Aaron Lynn, but I might be wrong:

http://castlefortify.com/c/8ce4c66

edit: or maybe Michael L Wakefield?

Wakefield if I'm not mistaken - nasty bit of work that. I almost would have had something to show here, only just remembered the right dance steps. Note to self: Don't do drunk on the spot improvements and just go to self test before re-checking the dance steps...

- Dalleck

#95 2013-08-01 01:40:10

pottage

Yes, drunk home improvements have caused me trouble in the past. Need to fit some sort of breathalyzer to my computer to stop me doing it again.

#96 2013-08-01 02:04:06

bey bey

pottage wrote:

Yes, drunk home improvements have caused me trouble in the past. Need to fit some sort of breathalyzer to my computer to stop me doing it again.

No, no, honey. I'm fine to magic dance, really, you're making too much of it. Don't worry I'll just ARGHGGH§$$§QDFASDFHEEEHHHiiiiiieeeeeee........

- Dalleck

#97 2013-08-01 03:24:36

pottage

I actually died when I made a mistake on a vigilante mission. I really don't like all the houses set up like this:

http://castlefortify.com/c/d5e3f1d

where they just keep their wife safe and leave their vault out in the open. In the last day or two since my house got to what I considered 'finished', I'd been using my wages to go and hunt down wives in houses like this. I think in one house I spent $7000 to kill a wife for $120, but it's the principle! Does anyone else do this?

#98 2013-08-01 03:51:47

bey bey

It's an odd strategy that has evolved as of now. I assume it's an attempt to make it to a safe house with a family alive, which usually fails during mid-game when the wife gets killed because she's less well protected than the safe. Focusing on the other element (i.e. the wife) is an interesting way to get around this problem.

However, I find your strategy rather, uhm, funny: "How dare they value their family more than their material possessions! I'll kill the innocent people for that offense!! Ha-ha-ha, that will teach you to protect your family!"

- Dalleck

#99 2013-08-01 03:59:31

pottage

Yeah I guess that is a little weird come to think of it, but I guess I've come to think of this game purely in terms of game mechanics now and think of the families as the resource/annoyance that they are, so I just see these houses as a boring non-addition to the gameplay - I guess I'm trying to force people to make interesting houses.
I've just been through the house list and counted 5 houses doing this out of 2 pages.

#100 2013-08-01 04:13:29

bey bey

I was a bit jaded about that at times and then it somehow began to matter to me again as soon as I tried to protect my own family and was always a tad depressed when somebody had slaughtered them, so I usually leave them alone. Except for revenge purposes. You killed mine, now I'll kill yours. One by one. And I'll bring lots of dynamite and water bottles and crowbars on every run and leave a heap of rubble behind. Have a fantastic log-in, family murderer!

- Dalleck

Board footer