The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-24 06:02:33

Noshire

Suggestion: Fake Vault

I've seen suggestions about having multiple vaults to split your money between. However, I think that role has already been taken by the wife, and would introduce quite a few design problems (the self test, for example). I've also seen a few mediocre attempts at trying to fool people into mistaking a block of concrete walling for a vault - which doesn't really work though.

However, decoys are a very interesting mechanic, and I think they could add a lot to the game. How about an object that looks like your vault - not exactly, though - the sprite could feature subtle differences which are hard to spot, or it could just use the sprite of the plundered vault.

This can be used in a lot of different scenarios - leave it just barely visible to lure burglars into traps, or to let them waste tools on dummy walls or mechanisms.

I think it could just be left without any interaction - a simple piece of wall, basically. To prevent people from using it as an unbreakable wall replacement, it could be breakable using a cutting torch, because it is made of steel. One possible interaction would be the option for the house owner to leave any short note inside, which, upon opening, would get displayed to the burglar. A fun interaction between owner and robber.

Any thoughts?

#2 2013-07-24 06:50:00

largestherb

Re: Suggestion: Fake Vault

way back in v5 i was using a single concrete block behind a wall/door as a 'fake vault' when my houses consisted of mostly 'guess the right tunnel' one-way valve kind of things.

it seemed to definitely lure people into that specific tunnel over all the others.. of course with the suicide-spam available at the time it wasn't really that viable as people would just come back in immediately and ignore the decoy.

might have to wangle some just out of sight single concrete blocks into my new houses smile definitely like the idea of decoy vaults.

#3 2013-07-24 11:03:50

Noshire

The concrete blocks can work if placed just at the right spot, but mostly to inexperienced players.
I thought some about it, and I start to like the idea of leaving a little note in there more and more. It doesn't yield any gameplay advantage, but it's... it's just that tiny little personal bridge, a small room for a very indirect but amusing interaction between victim and intruder. You might just leave a funny comment, a prediction, or even a bit of actual help in solving the puzzle!

#4 2013-07-24 11:50:11

jere

I think what would be even cooler is a hologram tile that could be programmed to look like any other tile. On close inspection (within 1 space away), the illusion would fade and the hologram would be obvious, but further away it would look exactly like the decoy tile. You could use that to create decoy safes, hidden hallways, scare off robbers with fake pitbulls. It'd be really cool if this hologram tile required power.

As a rule thumb though, I would expect new tools/tiles to be unlikely at this piont. I've played through 14 versions and beyond the ladder (which was only added specifically to counter pits/trapdoors), the only tool/tile I remember being added was more convenient wires.

Last edited by jere (2013-07-24 11:52:07)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#5 2013-07-24 16:36:22

Ludicrosity

A stairway tile that connected to different parts of your house would also be cool. It would act like a teleporter; you step into it not knowing where you'll emerge. It would need to be placed in pairs in the build mode. The house owner knows where each one leads.

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-07-24 16:38:01)

#6 2013-07-25 01:40:30

colorfusion

Ludicrosity wrote:

A stairway tile that connected to different parts of your house would also be cool. It would act like a teleporter; you step into it not knowing where you'll emerge. It would need to be placed in pairs in the build mode. The house owner knows where each one leads.

Nice idea, although it would probably end up being used too easily for some form of guessing trap.

I was thinking of a stairway tile but, rather than acting as a teleporter, it would act as an alternative exit to take you out of the house.

This could be used as a replacement for the vault for when you're not done testing your traps, so you get sent back to buildmode rather than needing a long tunnel. Almost like a fake vault, but for function rather than looks.

It could also be used to try and tempt the robber down specific areas, or as a last hope attempt to get the robber out of your home and away from the vault.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-07-25 01:40:45)

#7 2013-07-28 21:56:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I considered and eventually decided against the idea of fake vaults early on in the design process.  I really wanted to avoid too much of an annoying "minesweeper" feel, where you had to test 25 fully visible options before finding the right one.  Granted, there's still some of that left in the game because of what players end up building, but there's not a tile that explicitly supports that.

The idea of a staircase exit is an interesting one, especially for testing.  I can't imagine someone using it in a live house, though, because if you're going to force the robber there, wouldn't you rather just force kill them (with a pit instead of an exit)?

Also, I do like "backdoor" as it stands right now as an emergent thing that you have to plan for and build... something that players discover how to do, since there's no explicit "backdoor" tile waiting for them.

#8 2013-07-29 00:34:17

dalleck

jasonrohrer wrote:

The idea of a staircase exit is an interesting one, especially for testing.  I can't imagine someone using it in a live house, though, because if you're going to force the robber there, wouldn't you rather just force kill them (with a pit instead of an exit)?

Also, I do like "backdoor" as it stands right now as an emergent thing that you have to plan for and build... something that players discover how to do, since there's no explicit "backdoor" tile waiting for them.

I was thinking the just yesterday about something similar but entirely different.  That is, if you could set where the entrance was when you first built your house.  It could be as simple as having the door centred either top, down left or right, or it could be a specific place where you can set your door.  Would really mix up the feel of each and every house.  More an aesthetic thing really.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#9 2013-07-29 01:51:42

Noshire

jasonrohrer wrote:

I considered and eventually decided against the idea of fake vaults early on in the design process.  I really wanted to avoid too much of an annoying "minesweeper" feel, where you had to test 25 fully visible options before finding the right one.  Granted, there's still some of that left in the game because of what players end up building, but there's not a tile that explicitly supports that.

I guessed you would already have considered that, seeing that it's quite an obvious mechanic. I also see the underlying problem; turning a house into even more of a guessing labyrinth wouldn't be fun, and if the sprite would look a bit different, it's just a matter of looking closely at each vault (and would only catch unexperienced players). On second thought, I do agree that no interesting designs would emerge from this.

On the staircase topic: I love the idea. And I do actually think that it could be viable in actual house designs! Would be a nice psychological weapon; the premise of a safe escape route. If you're surrounded by pit bulls, would you rather try to crowbar your way out, or just take the staircase? but what if it's booby-trapped? Could lead to some awesome designs indeed.

#10 2013-07-29 02:00:50

colorfusion

Noshire wrote:

On the staircase topic: I love the idea. And I do actually think that it could be viable in actual house designs! Would be a nice psychological weapon; the premise of a safe escape route. If you're surrounded by pit bulls, would you rather try to crowbar your way out, or just take the staircase? but what if it's booby-trapped? Could lead to some awesome designs indeed.

That's how I was thinking they would work.

If a player is half way through a house, trapped in by something with only a few tools remaining then currently they would have to continue to the vault. If there's a staircase however, they have a choice to make. Do they continue through the rest of the house and risk dying? Or do they use the staircase as a quick way out just to save their life.

The house owner would also be taking a risk too. Players that would have died may just take the safe staircase out and avoid giving the houseowner their loot.

#11 2013-07-29 19:59:12

Ludicrosity

I still think it'd be more interesting if it connected one part of the house to another, acting as a transporter instead of just an exit. Unfair traps using it could be prevented by requiring one square of empty floor next to each stair tile, so that one could always turn around and go back (no one way death traps).

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-07-29 19:59:31)

Board footer