The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-03 12:22:06

Toasty_Kabal

Facepalm inducing deaths

Share your most heart clenching, completely preventable deaths.

I'll start with my experience last night.  I had just finished setting up my house with all the unfair traps I could think of, including an electric floor maze, a sequence lock, and a combination lock.  I hadn't built any of them before and had to really wrack my brain to get all three set up in one house.  I wanted to get some money to tempt people to try them out and was hitting the $200 dollar range houses.  I walked into one house that seemed completely empty except for the bodies of a couple of pitbulls and the family.  This was probably my tenth house in this robbery session and I was a bit too careless.  I had checked the top left corner of the house and found nothing, so I began mashing the down arrow to check the bottom corner.  I was approaching the edge of my vision with reckless abandon and when the screen refreshed to my new field of vision I was already in a pit that had been surrounding the vault.

Maybe it was karma for the house I'd just built.

#2 2013-04-03 12:25:03

setz
Website

Re: Facepalm inducing deaths

I have done that atleast 3-5 times myself. Once I made a 30k steal on a house I had been casing all night. I was SO stoked, went back to my house and spent 2 hours building a 30k maze. I tried out the house only to find out at the end I left ONE pitbull outside a door which led to my death as well as my face slapping my forehead. Now before I finish my house I have chihuahuas in the place of pit bulls so that just in case I leave one out I dont die. smile

#3 2013-04-03 12:39:01

Omnipotent

setz wrote:

I have done that atleast 3-5 times myself. Once I made a 30k steal on a house I had been casing all night. I was SO stoked, went back to my house and spent 2 hours building a 30k maze. I tried out the house only to find out at the end I left ONE pitbull outside a door which led to my death as well as my face slapping my forehead. Now before I finish my house I have chihuahuas in the place of pit bulls so that just in case I leave one out I dont die. :)

This!

Made this house V  (It's small because I don't want you copying it or finding out how to get through it if I re-make it in the future. ;)
2tg7I

Made a giant house, super hard to get into. I knew the way in and it had multiple different combo locks you had to press in/out and if you accidentally pressed the wrong buttons you locked an extra set of doors guarding the combo's. And I accidentally went up at one part instead of down because I forgot how much I had added in the last bit.
2tg83

And then POOF, it's all gone. :V

#4 2013-04-03 12:44:49

setz
Website

i literally just sat at my computer staring at my dead pixel body for like 5 minutes.

#5 2013-04-03 13:40:58

colorfusion

I think I died in the same house you did OP. I often die to simple Pitbull-behind-the-door traps from not looking properly, and I've died a few times from cutting into a wall then walking forward onto a pitbull.

Haven't done it myself but I've seen many people put pitbulls to sleep then walk over them.

#6 2013-04-03 15:35:03

Omnipotent

colorfusion wrote:

Haven't done it myself but I've seen many people put pitbulls to sleep then walk over them.

Hahaha, yeah I've been the victim of this one myself. Before I'd spent a lot of time trying to raid pitbull infested houses, I didn't realize I would wake the pitbull up if I tried to walk around it. The sleeping pills seem kinda worthless when for $12 more you can get a crowbar that will do twice the job the pill does.

#7 2013-04-03 22:02:15

rmmh

Omnipotent wrote:

The sleeping pills seem kinda worthless when for $12 more you can get a crowbar that will do twice the job the pill does.

Crowbars are useless when you have a dog two moves away from you (diagonally adjacent, or one space away). Meat is much cheaper than a gun.

#8 2013-04-04 09:57:07

timsamoff
Website

I'm starting to form an opinion that house-testing should not permakill the player. It's annoying and unbalanced. Imho, the testing process is the only way to create inventive solutions and if you die while testing, you lose a lot of the thought process.

#9 2013-04-04 10:33:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It is possible to be careful, though!

Like, place chihuahuas instead of pit bulls for testing, and then drop in pit bulls before the final test.

The electric floors and trapdoors are harder to test, though.

In v6, there will be a "light box" tile that lights up when powered, but is not deadly.  Like a disco floor tile.  So, that will help you test electric floor and trapdoor traps (and maybe even door traps) without dying!

Anyway, once this is in place, it will be possible to play the game without ever dying, if you are careful.  And I really like that aesthetic:  the feeling of needing to be very careful.

And the drama created by this tension is priceless:

setz wrote:

i literally just sat at my computer staring at my dead pixel body for like 5 minutes.

I want to make a game where you stare at your dead body for 5 minutes.

#10 2013-04-04 10:50:12

setz
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

I want to make a game where you stare at your dead body for 5 minutes.

You have succeeded sir. smile

#11 2013-04-04 12:13:26

Nikolaj

Darwin Awards! Darwin Awards for everyone!

#12 2013-04-06 06:39:19

Wyld Stallyn
Website

I love when I do my standard safe-reaching route but step one step too far so the dog that follows me gets me when I have to go one step back.

#13 2013-04-09 18:54:15

wow news

Does anyone know if this sounds like a text-based or interactive video?? Or at least will have subtitles, if video. Thanks.  <a href="http://www.susanexpress.ca/News/514/Latest-MMORPGcom-News.html" title="wow news">wow news</a>

#14 2013-04-09 19:02:14

cheap wow gold

Daily blink is gold. So true. 2 toons with 525 Charm, couldn't agree more. So announcement for D3 is on its way out next week. Woo cheap wow gold

#15 2013-04-09 19:04:13

buy wow gold

Hmmmm interesting changes. I was going to wait until 5. 2 to even play WoW time and time now I have an even better reason to haven't PVPed in a while lol buy wow gold

#16 2013-04-09 19:06:50

wow news

Wow, for the legendary daggers it sounds comparable to the Hunter bow endeavours from MC... some of those lists involve the raid (gems and stuff), but a good many people seem to involve Rogues fighting dragons in different corners around the globe. wow news

#17 2013-04-09 19:29:29

World of Warcraft Gold

+21, 000 mastery on the medical lock cd ability? wow World of Warcraft Gold

#18 2013-04-09 20:02:17

Buy Burberry Bags

That i purchased these three twos in the shimmer  Buy Burberry Bags. May very well liked hearing most of the fits I become every time That i create him or her. Even though the I'm a nanny, That i nevertheless value feelings young because i create him or her.

#19 2013-04-09 20:03:49

DIABLO 3 GOLD

Wow, 1st daily blink that helped me actually laugh, classic, absolutely loved it, others just drew out your current chuckle, or hehe. DIABLO 3 GOLD

#20 2013-04-09 20:17:30

WOW GOLD EU

I wonder if that's numerous gold that character includes, or if that's the price tag on the transaction. WOW GOLD EU

#21 2013-04-09 20:34:44

CHEAP WOW GOLD

Wow, nice. That's alot. CHEAP WOW GOLD

#22 2013-04-09 21:01:24

wow gold

Originally Posted by ChickatWow that looks great. Better then I envisioned. Im not sure if its Ulduar epic but its the closest they have in your life gotten. 9/10 so far. More like x10 times Ulduar could ever be. Just from the in advance PTR stages it's already considerably better IMO. On release this will a perfect designed raid in 8 years, by FAR! wow gold

#23 2013-04-09 21:06:21

CHEAP WOW GOLD

Originally Posted by K0tYCareful Aim now can only be done on targets with less than 90% health, up from 80%. Bye wow. Typo, don't be stupid. >< CHEAP WOW GOLD

#24 2013-04-09 21:18:10

buy wow gold news

Did that guy individually get infracted for estimating Wowcrendor....? buy wow gold news

#25 2013-04-09 21:31:23

wow news

We like the group a chance to provide food but players being accountable for their own flasksThat's why group meals is worst then single. Felt like a chore to head every alt to ensure it is gold and maximize possibility of good stuff. Do they mean the only gem you get? wow news

Board footer