The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-04 16:12:38

bey bey

Random thread on preferred paintings

Nothing much going on here as we are waiting for comments on the (past?) episode of pumping issues and the possibility of picking up on crashed games and the proposed new forums, sooooooo this is just a random thread.

After playing the game for a while I have realised that there are some paintings I honestly covet. Some I like but can do without, others I WANT to own. For me, the Zeppelin and the prism skull have grown on me. Also, one of the set of mondrianesque abstracts (the one in billard colours).

How about you folks? Any paintings without which your house just isn't complete?

Last edited by bey bey (2013-08-04 16:35:10)

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#2 2013-08-04 17:15:24

jere

Re: Random thread on preferred paintings

I'm not sure if I have favorites. So many are great! I do find it extremely cool that a lot of the paintings are done by semi-famous indie devs. That might bias me a bit. For instance, at one point I put in considerable effort to collect a full set of Kazemis (there are 4).

Somtimes what I like to do with the three painting preview is tell a little story. For example:

tcd3.png

I often try to get "Ko" because... well it's a painting about Go and that's awesome. In the above, I like to imagine someone's mind being blown over a ko threat. It's like the ear reddening move. Except instead of red ears, the player's head is vaporized.

Last edited by jere (2013-08-04 17:16:59)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2013-08-04 17:40:00

bey bey

Interesting take on things - and three paintings I don't fancy myself. I like the story aspect (I like a sequence of Zeppelin, Ocean wave, twirl + a fourth one that never quite fits). I think, in v8, I had a house that used some skulls in the layout and at that point I went after skull paintings (I think there are three of them) but apart from that... Interesting! I never recognised any Indie game developers, but then again this is probably the only Indie game I ever played for a longer period of time so no surprises there.

Also, while some of them are great, some of them are utterly unpretty. I recall a situation where I burgled somebody who had hoarded those hideous grinny faces and I was stuck with one of them always popping up in fourth place (I don't get how it works with that spot...) and I was somewhat relieved when I finally died and that thing was gone.

- Dalleck

#4 2013-08-04 17:49:18

jere

Interesting! I never recognised any Indie game developers, but then again this is probably the only Indie game I ever played for a longer period of time so no surprises there.

Really? Please tell me you've heard of one of the following: Fez, Lone Survivor, VVVVVV, Spy Party, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami??

Those are the indie games made by developers I recognized.

Last edited by jere (2013-08-04 17:49:36)

#5 2013-08-04 18:15:43

Ludicrosity

bey bey wrote:

Also, while some of them are great, some of them are utterly unpretty. I recall a situation where I burgled somebody who had hoarded those hideous grinny faces and I was stuck with one of them always popping up in fourth place (I don't get how it works with that spot...) and I was somewhat relieved when I finally died and that thing was gone.

Haha, I definitely agree that some of the paintings are downright ugly. Of course, which ones fit that bill depends on who you ask I suppose. I too particularly dislike the grinning faces, yet a lot of people seem to buy them so they must be liked by some. This is why I wish you could sell paintings (maybe by putting them back up for auction) or even just get rid of unwanted ones without any monetary gain.

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-08-04 18:16:22)

#6 2013-08-04 18:17:17

bey bey

Haha, well, what can I say... My video games career started with a NES but it has been spotty. There have been times where I haven't played for years, and then I played excessively again. But since I was always either into city builders (Caesar, Zeus, AOE, ...) or 1st person shooters there weren't much Indie things around if you don't count Mods. TCD ties into the city builder aspect of things I guess. Fez and Spelunky I heard of, but I'm not that much into things that sound platformish. Hotline Miami I read about as well, but it seemed stressful. I'm not into stressful. Googleing the games you mentioned I realise that I heard of almost all of them but (for various reasons) decided against each of them. It's probably really the "stressful" aspect. I dislike most things that rely on doing something quickly and the right way. If I want that, I'll just go for something sporty outdoors. With a game, I prefer turn-based or slow any day. Gives you time to think.

I did go for a bit of Unmechanical. And I do like Adventures, so the Deponia franchise or Blackwell or anything by Wadjeteye for that matter might count as Indie (Primordia was brilliant, Gemini Rue was solid as well, Resonance not so much imho...).

Aaaanyways, since I just embarked on the journey towards a Phd I guess I'll get to know a lot more games over the years to come.

- Dalleck

#7 2013-08-04 18:18:32

bey bey

Ludicrosity wrote:
bey bey wrote:

Haha, I definitely agree that some of the paintings are downright ugly. Of course, which ones fit that bill depends on who you ask I suppose. I too particularly dislike the grinning faces, yet a lot of people seem to buy them so they must be liked by some. This is why I wish you could sell paintings (maybe by putting them back up for auction) or even just get rid of unwanted ones without any monetary gain.

Yup. I'd probably have paid quite a lot to get rid of them. It might be fun to be able to put them into your backpack and "bestow" them onto somebody else. big_smile

- Dalleck

#8 2013-08-04 18:19:33

jere

Yard sale!

I'll give you $3 for it.

I can see it now: people purchasing famous $100k paintings for nothing. Others convincing you to part with all your broken electronics.

Last edited by jere (2013-08-04 18:21:35)

#9 2013-08-04 18:24:22

bey bey

jere wrote:

Yard sale!

I'll give you $3 for it.

I can see it now: people purchasing famous $100k paintings for nothing. Others convincing you to part with all your broken electronics.

I'll give you three dollars if YOU take it. And my broken pitbull. It's nearly mint condition except for one bullet hole. Must pick it up yourself, behind the three powered doors inside the Castro residence.

- Dalleck

#10 2013-08-04 18:26:12

jere

I was waiting for the Castro jokes to roll in.

#11 2013-08-04 18:37:08

bey bey

I'll put I cigar that's been rolled between the thighs of a plump 45-year-old woman into the safe especially for you, my friend. Also, I'll embargo (is that a verb?) all grinning paintings.

But on a serious note: It's funny how this game unites different playing styles. From the games you suggested, I would assume you came to the game from the robbery side of things, while I got into it on the house defender angle.

- Dalleck

#12 2013-08-04 19:01:43

jere

Yea, that is interesting. I usually have runs where I stick to one style or the other. I loved redstone in Minecraft (if you haven't played it, you would really like it bey bey) and so I love electronics in TCD. Building is really fun. You have grand visions, but you have to cut corners until you can get enough cash. Wires are always cheap though.

I used to put a lot more time into robbing, often just to suicide and throw away the money. Seems harder to rob these days. I'm not sure if players are wising up or if the "hide the wife, hide the kids, leave the safe in the open" strategy is bank rolling better houses.

#13 2013-08-04 21:28:34

azaghal

jere wrote:

Interesting! I never recognised any Indie game developers, but then again this is probably the only Indie game I ever played for a longer period of time so no surprises there.

Really? Please tell me you've heard of one of the following: Fez, Lone Survivor, VVVVVV, Spy Party, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami??
Those are the indie games made by developers I recognized.

I just sort of got into the Indie game scene myself (after watching Indie Game: The Movie one afternoon), so while I've heard of Fez and Super Meat Boy, I think Braid is the only other indie title I've plaid recently.

bey bey wrote:

Aaaanyways, since I just embarked on the journey towards a Phd I guess I'll get to know a lot more games over the years to come.

I'm right with you bey bey smile What is your field? (Mine's physics.)

But back to the topic of the OP, I tried once to theme my paintings. There was a Bebe named Counterpoint, so I paired it with another titled something to do with music to kind of get a theme going. Unfortunately my vault was shortly thereafter raided, so the theme didn't last long.

#14 2013-08-05 03:29:00

bey bey

jere wrote:

Yea, that is interesting. I usually have runs where I stick to one style or the other. I loved redstone in Minecraft (if you haven't played it, you would really like it bey bey) and so I love electronics in TCD. Building is really fun. You have grand visions, but you have to cut corners until you can get enough cash. Wires are always cheap though.

I used to put a lot more time into robbing, often just to suicide and throw away the money. Seems harder to rob these days. I'm not sure if players are wising up or if the "hide the wife, hide the kids, leave the safe in the open" strategy is bank rolling better houses.

Yeah, there are a lot of uninteresting houses and for the less well defended ones, there's usually too many experienced players in "robbery mode" for them to stay around for a longer period of time I guess. Natural selection leaves us with all trapdoor-dance-houses. wink

- Dalleck

#15 2013-08-05 03:44:51

bey bey

azaghal wrote:
bey bey wrote:

I'm right with you bey bey smile What is your field? (Mine's physics.)

But back to the topic of the OP, I tried once to theme my paintings. There was a Bebe named Counterpoint, so I paired it with another titled something to do with music to kind of get a theme going. Unfortunately my vault was shortly thereafter raided, so the theme didn't last long.

Ahhh the glamorous world of physics. Have any busty blond waitresses moved in next door already? A little less particle acceleration, a little more action please! smile

Mine's theology / philosophy.

- Dalleck

#16 2013-08-05 08:46:15

azaghal

bey bey wrote:

Ahhh the glamorous world of physics. Have any busty blond waitresses moved in next door already? A little less particle acceleration, a little more action please! smile

Mine's theology / philosophy.

Sadly no. I feel like I was misled as to what life in my program would be like wink

I'm not sure I know any sitcoms detailing the exploits of theologians and/or philosophers, so am at a loss for a witty comeback...

#17 2013-08-05 14:22:16

largestherb

socrates

this post is a failure if you aren't pronouncing it like bill and ted

#18 2013-08-08 18:23:22

joshwithguitar

Looks like the race is on to secure the most coveted paintings. I wonder how much the Zeppelin will sell for (people seem to like it). $77781 is probably a bit steep...

#19 2013-08-10 11:32:18

Simoon

@bey

bey bey wrote:

Some I like but can do without, others I WANT to own. For me, the Zeppelin and the prism skull have grown on me.

Somebody was robing my house when I connected.
I waited by watching the painting in the neighborhood. Seems that Mr Brandenburg stole your beloved paintings !
But I avenged you : he was the one in my house, using the content of your safe on my pitbulls and he died in one of my traps.

About my preferred paintings : I also love the prism skull but my favorite is "Protect me from what I want".

Last edited by Simoon (2013-08-11 00:49:28)

#20 2013-08-11 18:20:05

bey bey

Haha, that's sweet. big_smile First thing I did was check if the paintings got back into auction. (In most cases they will since few people actually rob to keep with functioning houses...) I'll improve upon the house tomorrow (fingers crossed for self-test), since there is now somebody who knows how to reach the safe. Then again, if I die I can build a better house, so it's fine either way. wink

And yeah, I like the title of "protect me from what I want", but I don't find it that aesthetically pleasing.

- Dalleck

#21 2013-08-13 21:59:30

Ludicrosity

Oh you are Castro, bey bey? That was me who got to your vault! I was wondering if you were going to change things around, but now I don't see your house listed at all. Is Castro still around? It was a good house, though I agree with jere that the name made it a sort of sick reference to some terrible recent events in the news (or at least, that's what I assumed he meant).

#22 2013-08-14 04:04:09

bey bey

Ludicrosity wrote:

Oh you are Castro, bey bey? That was me who got to your vault! I was wondering if you were going to change things around, but now I don't see your house listed at all. Is Castro still around? It was a good house, though I agree with jere that the name made it a sort of sick reference to some terrible recent events in the news (or at least, that's what I assumed he meant).

Yeah, I fixed some things and forgot to pick up the second dog during self-test. And that was that. wink

OH, now I get it!! I was only going for Cuba!! Fidel Castro and all that!! I found it funny to be the big time communist hoarder rich guy. You must be referring to that Cleveland thing (that's what google gives me for Castro)? I'm not an American so that whole issue wasn't really on my mind and I never made the connection, it's only been on the fringes of international news over here and I honestly didn't even remember the name. So yeah, nothing of the kind intended, especially with a random name.

edit: It's kind of alright I died, though, since you figured out that house. Since it had grown "naturally" it would have been tricky to seriously change stuff around. I had improved the first step and apart from that I'd have relied on you getting the last dance wrong since I assumed you were lucky with that one.
Either way, it's always sweet to start a new house. "Jedem Anfang wohnt ein Zauber inne..."

Last edited by bey bey (2013-08-14 04:07:46)

- Dalleck

#23 2013-08-14 10:30:51

Blip

My favorites are Prism, Ko, Obviously a Major Malfunction, and both Skys.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#24 2013-08-21 00:07:12

joshwithguitar

Interesting buy Mr Cawley (Bey Bey?) - "One of two". Kind of relevant at the moment...

#25 2013-08-21 16:41:42

Ludicrosity

My favorite painting is "The Storm."

I will also say that it took me a while before I realized what Zapruder 260 was actually supposed to be.

I won't say what I thought it was before that...

Last edited by Ludicrosity (2013-08-21 16:42:00)

Board footer