The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-15 13:29:17

Ludicrosity

House Check Failed?

So I have been pretty busy at work robbing vaults, murdering wives, and leaving a trail a destruction over the last 24 hours or so... I think I decimated pretty much every top house on the list. But after leaving one of my victim's houses, I received a message saying "House check failed." I was then promptly killed. sad

Justice for all the carnage I had wreaked? Perhaps, but I was still pretty disappointed since I had only established my house a couple days ago. It had a bunch of kills, but was only in its infancy (prior to a couple days ago, it was just a 30x30 block of concrete wall with the vault right next to the door). And I was also pretty close to owning all the paintings! tongue

I searched "House check fail" on the forums here, but the only thread that came up was one about a glitch having to do with the use of wire cutters. The bug was fixed, and I didn't use wire cutters anyhow. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty sure I recall succumbing to the "house check fail" issue a long while back too, but I don't remember specifics.

#2 2013-08-15 13:59:55

bey bey

Re: House Check Failed?

Sweet justice! I was getting really annoyed about that painting hoarder...

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#3 2013-08-15 15:44:36

pottage

I think I've had a 'house check in' lost house twice or three times since I've been playing this game, both within a week or two, about a month ago. I haven't seen it in a while though, so I thought that there had been some connection optimisation done to the game.

I'm guessing it was you who annihilated my house about 24hrs ago then. By my estimation you spent around $70000 in tools, and got $22000 from me, so how did you afford to keep up this quite impressive reign of terror? Was this you?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f84wwx8mk7ofddr/aftermath.png
My hoard of dogs didn't seem to deter you in the slightest!

I must say I'm a bit disappointed that you lost your house through a check in error - I was looking forward to regrouping and seeking bloody vengeance against you! Still, I guess it is karma that you lost your house

#4 2013-08-15 16:13:53

Cent

Yea I got this a while back and lost a very expensive house sad. I already emailed jason about it. He said he found the issue.

Last edited by Cent (2013-08-15 16:14:06)

#5 2013-08-15 18:46:56

joshwithguitar

I am also confused as to how you had enough money to destroy every top house. I'm assuming you were Mr Dillon. I don't remember you being that high on the list with money, nor do I remember there being that much money between all the top houses. You spent about $24k on me and got just over $10k in total. Did you get a few rich houses cheaply early on that bank rolled the rest?

#6 2013-08-16 18:17:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh, man, I'm sorry about this!

It's the same issue that struck Cent, but it needs a v16 release before it will be resolved.  It's waiting there to strike... and hit two people in the past 2 days.  Last time was August 6.

To summarize:  floating point differences on different architectures make "what's visible" slightly different.  So, when the server goes to simulate your robbery, some dog that was visible for you (and starts moving) is not visible for the simulation on the server, so the dog in the simulation doesn't move.  The simulation mismatches, and you die.

I've fixed this by re-implementing the visibility shroud with all-integer math that behaves identically on all hardware.  But, obviously, this needs a new client release before the fix starts working.

#7 2013-08-16 18:45:18

bey bey

floating point differences
on different architectures make "what's visible"
slightly different

--------------------------------
That's almost poetry man.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#8 2013-08-21 16:23:31

Ludicrosity

bey bey wrote:

Sweet justice! I was getting really annoyed about that painting hoarder...

Haha smile tongue smile

pottage wrote:

I'm guessing it was you who annihilated my house about 24hrs ago then. By my estimation you spent around $70000 in tools, and got $22000 from me, so how did you afford to keep up this quite impressive reign of terror? Was this you?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f84wwx8mk7ofddr/aftermath.png
My hoard of dogs didn't seem to deter you in the slightest!

Yeah, that was me. I don't remember how much $$$ in tools I had, but I can say with certainty that I never had anywhere near $70,000 in cash at any time. I did get a bunch of tools while robbing houses though (see below).

joshwithguitar wrote:

I am also confused as to how you had enough money to destroy every top house. I'm assuming you were Mr Dillon. I don't remember you being that high on the list with money, nor do I remember there being that much money between all the top houses. You spent about $24k on me and got just over $10k in total. Did you get a few rich houses cheaply early on that bank rolled the rest?

No, I robbed the first house with money I had in my vault (I don't remember exactly how much that was now, but I think it was close to $30,000. I know it was not a really large amount of money). Every robbery after the first was funded entirely on the loot from previous break-ins. I think people tend to overestimate the cost of the tools robbers use on them. However, the other key issue here is that I got a lot of tools from the vaults of those I robbed. And remember that tools are valued at half-cost when in a vault. One of the houses I robbed was listed at something like $30,000, but only had a few thousand in cash. All the rest was in tools (meaning almost $60,000 worth of tools). That kind of thing happened a few times.

With regards to the "house check fail" issue, I did get this another time after starting over, but that was obviously before the v16 release. Glad to hear it sounds like it was fixed though. smile

Board footer