The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-22 19:51:12

largestherb

making houses is more fun than robbing*

(*to me right now.) a lack of cash available (either through legitimate robbery or other slightly more devious methods) means.. no building. so i have lately just been making stuff on castledraft.
so today i set a challenge to make a house surrounded by a ring of death that you couldn't vandalise without then needing to bring a hell of a lot of meat/guns/clubs.

http://castledraft.com/editor/LLwa4Q ~ i censored the wiring i made, but it definitely fit into that space. tested on a sandbox server, so it was fair without tools.

logic is visible, you can work it out fairly easily, i didn't use any super crazy wiring. i was trying to use as little space as possible, but it still involved some 'quirky' electronics behaviour that might baffle some new players.

but this visible logic that a lack of wall-wiring invites.. does it remind anyone else of the age of blueprints?

i had an idea that i'm not sure how it would work, but it was basically introducing a lottery to the game. every new life has a very low chance of starting with.. say $20,000. and to prevent everyone just sitting there spamming suicide until they hit the jackpot, you could add some kind of 'one lottery ticket every 10 minutes' kind of thing.

meh. i do love this game, but it seems the only way to play it right now is single-player on a third-party website / self-hosted server sad

#2 2013-08-22 20:06:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: making houses is more fun than robbing*

It looks like the increased tool prices helped somewhat.  At least there are a lot more houses around.

#3 2013-08-23 06:34:46

bey bey

Idk, the problem now might be that there is basically no complexity possible without at least 10k I'd say if you're not going for v8 type electronics and I don't think that's the most interesting thing to deal with. Something that used to be possible in a square of 5x5 will now take up half the house space.

Most houses are safe next to the door thingees. At the moment, or one-time-things. (I mean, with current tool prices just string a few chase combos together and it's practically unbreakable.)

The sad thing is that I find it hard to build an INTERESTING house. I robbed something simple, found out the best thing to do was a bit-lock (and afterwards realised that somebody else had made a much better bit-lock based on the same principle (cat runs out of sight)). That's a bit sad since I never thought I'd be doing bit-locks.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#4 2013-08-23 07:49:39

joshwithguitar

So you're Mr Jones bey bey (with the owl painting)?

It might take some time before interesting house designs come up. Mr Jones's house is not particularly good because it looks like you can brute force it with two ladders (and figure out the electronics with one). Houses that require large amounts of money to brute force are hard to think up in v16 (without relying on having a broken house) but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Hopefully the best designs won't just be combo locks (though I suspect they will be until guns are made cheaper).

On that note, Jason - please don't decrease gun prices without advance warning tongue.

#5 2013-08-23 08:16:39

joshwithguitar

For now, I'm enjoying the challenge of figuring out how I can "break the system" and create unsolvable and extremely expensive to brute force houses. Of course, the novelty will eventually ware off, especially if there are no interesting houses to try and break.

I'll admit though there are some pretty obvious and boring choices at the moment that are pretty effective, like this type of thing: http://castledraft.com/editor/ZzOBpE

#6 2013-08-23 08:23:21

gumshoe

Yeah, sorry mr jones ) :. Your lock was not super effective.

#7 2013-08-23 08:54:46

bey bey

Yeah obviously. I disliked the house once I was done and didn't feel like fortifying it. (I only built it since I happened to get lucky on my first robbery checking out if the game was working and felt it unfair to leave 5k and a painting in an empty house.) To make it secure, I guess I would have added a few pits, concrete, all that shebang, but why bother for something this pointless.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

Board footer