The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-25 08:22:55

joshwithguitar

Idea to mix things up

I was thinking about the problem of one time robbable houses being the only good starting strategy at the moment and I came upon the idea of having it so that, like the wife, after you rob the rob you have to leave the house again. I think this would definitely shake up the current dominant (and boring) strategies of walking a few steps with dogs chasing you to the vault, although I'm not sure it would fix the one time robbable issue as I guess you could still make it so that a dog trails you to the door when you exit... still it would make people think about house design in a different way, which is always good.

What do people think?

Last edited by joshwithguitar (2013-08-25 08:23:15)

#2 2013-08-25 08:43:36

gumshoe

Re: Idea to mix things up

This is brilliant.

#3 2013-08-25 08:46:21

gumshoe

add this, increase starter cash to 6000 but keep all the current prices, and bring back electric wooden walls(which will be even more dynamic considering that saws are only 50 bucks now) Help us jason your only hope ) :

#4 2013-08-25 08:46:35

bey bey

Well, but it would only mean it had to be designed the other way around. Make a house so that getting to the safe is easy but you need all the steps and stuff to get out and drag along a line of pitbulls. Same shit. wink

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#5 2013-08-25 09:00:41

largestherb

bey bey wrote:

Well, but it would only mean it had to be designed the other way around. Make a house so that getting to the safe is easy but you need all the steps and stuff to get out and drag along a line of pitbulls. Same shit. wink

this exactly. i was already creating a one-wrong-move-house in my mind the moment i read that

#6 2013-08-25 14:49:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I made a decision early on to keep it "reach the vault and that's it."  Otherwise, it makes a bunch of stuff messier without really adding anything.  Anything you could force them to solve to get out of the house is stuff you could force them to solve to get to the vault in the first place.

I have thought about all living animals resetting position post-robbery.  One-time robbable houses aren't so great.  On the other hand, it does prevent the same person from coming back twice, using the same knowledge twice.  The house changes after it gets robbed, becoming a different challenge.

I think that dogs are just overpowered right now, cost-wise.  I'll fix that in a minute.

(Also, crowbars disappeared as a viable way to deal with dogs... may introduce a club at some point).

#7 2013-08-25 15:13:24

largestherb

can it be a golf club? i hear lots of people keep golf clubs under their bed!

..my dad keeps an axe under his bed.

Last edited by largestherb (2013-08-25 15:13:58)

#8 2013-08-25 16:12:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah... funny... golf clubs are what people used to carry in Las Cruces to fend off the dogs.  For real.

#9 2013-08-25 21:19:28

joshwithguitar

Yeah, I guess it would be easy to create something like this - http://castledraft.com/editor/ERVS6s,
though this can be bipassed with a piece one piece of meat after it is robbed.
Maybe this:http://castledraft.com/editor/qlEFzH
though we are now well above starter cash for the basic design.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, I made a decision early on to keep it "reach the vault and that's it."  Otherwise, it makes a bunch of stuff messier without really adding anything.  Anything you could force them to solve to get out of the house is stuff you could force them to solve to get to the vault in the first place.

I can understand why you keep things simpler, I guess I just thought of this because the way things currently are a little more complexity in house design would be welcome. Fixing dogs is probably all that needs to happen though.

Board footer