The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-26 13:20:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

A club is coming, and animal jump-back

I'm just finishing up v17.

The Voltage Detector tool will be removed to make room for a $200 "Club" tool that can only be used to kill things (and not to break thing open, except for windows).  The Crowbar remains unchanged, both in function and price.

I also change it so that non-dead animals jump back to their starting positions, if possible, post-damage-saving-robbery.

Thus, it is STILL possible to make a one-time robbable house, through the way that animals are killed (fall in pits or whatever), but it will be impossible to make a house that gets left in a "10 dogs right by the door" state.

#2 2013-08-26 13:25:55

ukuko

Re: A club is coming, and animal jump-back

They are well trained beasts, alright.

#3 2013-08-26 14:21:04

largestherb

it's the rockin'est club in town!

B3uZP6J.gif

#4 2013-08-26 17:13:20

gumshoe

largestherb wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/B3uZP6J.gif

That man hasnt got the a care in the world. Thanks for the changes sir jason.

#5 2013-08-26 17:48:01

bey bey

largestherb wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/B3uZP6J.gif

This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming.

In fact you can be batman.
(if he robbed houses and murdered families.)
- Dalleck

#6 2013-08-27 16:48:00

jere

this thread should have seizure warning

Clubbin' 2: Electric Boogaloo

disco.gif

Last edited by jere (2013-08-27 16:58:40)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#7 2013-08-27 23:27:47

joshwithguitar

It's good to see a club introduced, this will fix some things up, but...

...we now have the problem back again that there is no way to build a $2000 house that will protect your wife against $2000.

This is because you can only put two dogs in the way of your wife for $2000 (for $1600) and they can be taken out for the same amount leaving enough money for a club to kill your wife with. So, currently a successful start in dependent on a) getting lucky with a robbery early on that allow you to buy 3 pittbulls or b) not starting your house at a time where there is someone destroying houses with starter cash.

Even with 3 pittbulls, if you don't have any money to defend your vault someone can easily come in, take out 2 dogs and your vault with a couple of guns, suicide and return to take out your wife.

#8 2013-08-27 23:36:05

largestherb

the club looks a bit like a sword to me, i feel like i'm playing the tarantino doctrine watching all these tapes of people coming into my house with two guns and two swords!

josh definitely has a point there, i was lucky enough to have enough money to have three dogges but i didn't twig that others wouldn't be so lucky.

ps. logging in every few hours to spend my money each time in an attempt to build a house slowly! it has come back to this sad

Last edited by largestherb (2013-08-27 23:36:52)

#9 2013-08-28 00:46:37

dalleck

Has anyone tested what happens when a pet is killed in the place of where another pet is supposed to start?  What happens in this case?  Does the pet with the invalid starting space just remain where he was at the end of the robbery?

Last edited by dalleck (2013-08-28 00:47:28)

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#10 2013-08-28 03:43:06

gyuri

As this thread is already fucked up with some disco animations, here's one more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6VZoMYfcK8

#11 2013-08-28 07:12:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Dalleck:

In that case of a dead animal blocking its would-be jump-back position of living pet A, living pet A stays where it is instead of jumping back. 

In the case where another pet B has already jumped back to the spot where this living pet A wants to stay (because A is blocked from jumping back by a dead pet), then A disappears.  This is a rare case that occurs in some situations based on the order that the game processes pets when they jump back.

Josh:

Why would someone spend $1700 on guns and a club to get to your wife who is holding way less than that?  Yeah, I mean someone who is tilting for revenge or just to be funny might do that.  But it's not rational, right?

Also, if you spend the full $1600 to defend the family, you've pretty much built nothing around your vault, right?

#12 2013-08-28 08:17:56

gumshoe

jasonrohrer wrote:

Dalleck:

In that case of a dead animal blocking its would-be jump-back position of living pet A, living pet A stays where it is instead of jumping back. 

In the case where another pet B has already jumped back to the spot where this living pet A wants to stay (because A is blocked from jumping back by a dead pet), then A disappears.  This is a rare case that occurs in some situations based on the order that the game processes pets when they jump back.

Josh:

Why would someone spend $1700 on guns and a club to get to your wife who is holding way less than that?  Yeah, I mean someone who is tilting for revenge or just to be funny might do that.  But it's not rational, right?

Also, if you spend the full $1600 to defend the family, you've pretty much built nothing around your vault, right?

Starting money means nothing, player will destroy newbie houses on the downtime that they're waiting to tackle larger ones(which upon successfully robbing they will start thier own house). Now if your someone whose invested 4000-6000 in a house, sure of course you wont do that. But the starter smasher doesn't have to be reasonable / :.

#13 2013-08-28 08:23:27

gumshoe

Another thing, if someones spent so much to defend thier wife, yes the vault is easy to get to, so what i can do is kill as many dogs as I can, then if the path still isnt open, i hit up the vault( thereby saving my progress), then kill the last dog and a kid(once again saving my progress), then scuicide come back and claim maximum profits from the wife. In fact sometimes if I've broken a house and a I know I can get back to it for nothing (and that it's owner wont be on for a while) ill die in that house carrying 2000 in tools, so that I can fatten up the house and come back to it in an hour. Worst case scenario and the house gets fixed or repaired before I get back I'm doing this all with starter cash, so ultimately I lose nothing but time / :.

#14 2013-08-28 08:30:41

gumshoe

In general I just dont know why the wife plays such a large role in the game, thematically yeah shes interesting, but game play wise she detracts from the actual puzzle design( pit bull stacks are not fun to design or crack and the wife cant engage with any puzzle elements like the fence or the pit). Aside from changing how she works or removing her, heres a suggestion, what if the player didn't start out with a wife? What If once he was financially secure and in possession of a proven safe house he would automatically obtain one XD Like wise kids would be a further mile stone, and both would offer different benefits.

#15 2013-08-28 08:42:20

ukuko

jasonrohrer wrote:

Why would someone spend $1700 on guns and a club to get to your wife who is holding way less than that?

That money is free, boredom etc.

But also:

Killing the wife and NOT taking the money means you can go home, suicide and then return to collect it from the vault on a tool-less run to add it to your starting $2000

#16 2013-08-28 08:52:03

gumshoe

ukuko wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Why would someone spend $1700 on guns and a club to get to your wife who is holding way less than that?

That money is free, boredom etc.

But also:

Killing the wife and NOT taking the money means you can go home, suicide and then return to collect it from the vault on a tool-less run to add it to your starting $2000

yep : P

#17 2013-08-28 08:53:02

colorfusion

jasonrohrer wrote:

Dalleck:

When I'm just on starting lives with nothing but the $2000 cash I go out as many tools as I can afford in different houses. Helps find out what type of houses are currently being used, pretty fun robbing houses without having to care about dying, and not much reason not to. I also imagine people new to the game will do this just to try out some tools and get an idea of how to play before doing anything serious.

It's avoidable by having your house cost more than $2000 to brute force through, but I don't think that's possible with using the $2000 yourself to build.

I don't think raising tool prices will help this; they're already pretty expensive when you're getting the money through salary and robberies, especially when most of the top houses seem to have a 1 time robbery thing triggered and require just cutting through with tools.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-08-28 08:58:46)

#18 2013-08-28 09:09:16

gumshoe

Still, if we didnt have to worry about protecting a wife or kids in those starting stages, that 2000 defence would be a lot more useful, that and the only save point robbers would have is the vault, this means robbers cant just trash your place, kill a kid, trash it some more, kill another kid, trash it then some, kill a wife, obliterate the remnants, hit up the safe, then douse whats left in oil and light up a dozen matches, hit up the safe again...ect.

#19 2013-08-28 09:48:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It sounds like pitbulls have become too cheap to kill now with guns.  I'll up the price of guns to $1200 to compensate (you can afford one gun on starter money, not two).

I'll also bring the cost of doors down to $600 and see what that changes.

#20 2013-08-28 11:24:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, this is done.  Guns are $1200 now, pushing pit bulls up a bit in power, and powered doors have come down to $600, pushing the doors up in power too.

#21 2013-08-28 15:27:38

nathan

Thanks to "jere" for his amazing club image! With it, I made this:
http://maderoomforaclub.ytmnd.com/

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#22 2013-08-28 17:23:18

jere

Frickin' brilliant, nathan. I posted that to reddit.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

Board footer