The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-29 07:49:07

colorfusion

[FIXED] I'm in debt (Bug?)

WVDGXJa.png

Didn't realise this was possible, I think I managed it by buying paintings with money I earned from selling tools, but quit out of the game so the tool trades were not saved.

Brings up a few questions:
Does my house show up on the list at all now?
If someone did rob me, would they inherit the debt?
If I got rid of the tools I have (Which cost more than my debt) would I still show up on the list?

At the moment I think it should show up on the list, because the tools should make the overall value positive. Will whoever robbed me get the tools and the negative money?

I could keep on selling tools and buying paintings infinitely and get all of the cheap ones and be in massive debt. If I had a larger collection of tools before doing this wouldn't it be possible to buy all of the paintings?

I'll have to probably wait to pay off the debt though, so don't want to be getting too far down (Although it could be a nice way to hide your house in an undamaged state).

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-08-29 07:59:03)

#2 2013-08-29 08:00:34

jere

Re: [FIXED] I'm in debt (Bug?)

I think this is a good argument for stealable objects (e.g. family heirlooms). That way you can be in debt but still have valuables that robbers want! Also, we should have player to player loans. Then we might see loan sharks arise. It'd be a shame if something happened to Cindy.

big_smile

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#3 2013-08-29 09:17:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Wow... yeah, that is a bug!  And you're right about the cause, because the server allows you to go negative when buying paintings, assuming that it sees that you have enough tools to sell to cover it.  This is because the server doesn't find about about what tools you may have sold until you check your house back in, but you can buy paintings in the middle of that.

Of course, your house shows up as positive in the list because of the tool value in your vault.

And a robber doesn't see the cash value until they hit the vault.  And I have no idea what will happen at that point.  I'll test it and find out.

I definitely need to add a server-side fix for this.... probably, if you abandon your edit, the server will have to pick some tools to sell for you to bring you back up to $0 in the vault.

#4 2013-08-29 18:48:27

Ludicrosity

What an interesting bug you found!

#5 2013-08-30 09:41:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This has been fixed server-side.

If you do this and trigger a negative balance, the server will auto-sell either your backpack or your vault to bring the balance back up to non-negative when it goes to force-check-in your house.

#6 2013-08-31 11:32:35

Simoon

jere wrote:

Also, we should have player to player loans. Then we might see loan sharks arise. It'd be a shame if something happened to Cindy.

big_smile

You can already do the loan part : make a deal with a player on the forum and enter his house with some tools and exit.
You can also blackmail somebody via the forum but I do not think it would be a good idea wink

Board footer