The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-01 18:31:36

largestherb

request: 'house code' in recordedgame on die! ~also power supply stuff

i used to finish my self-test, close the game and crack open my recordedgame to nab the code and take a picture for my records. but a few weeks ago i started needing to reopen the game client to get the house code to be printed into the recordedgame. not much of an issue at the time to me, i figured.

so a few moments ago i completed my house, cut a clear route to the exit for testing, tested it twice. seemed to work perfectly, everything that needed to come on came on. sealed up the tunnel, went for the real test... didn't work. *shrug, dead* i'll just look in my recordedgame and see what i did.. nope. last house code in my recordedgame file was last successful test sad

so! it would be nice to have your house code printed when you die (possibly with dead robber state saved in it so you can see where you died!), just so you know what happened! and also it is nice to not forget how you made your house and don't have to wrack your brains to remember the wiring if it was a particularly tricky setup!

~

adding on to this post, my recordedgames seem to not be saving at all anymore on my macbook? only 2 recordedgame files from 2 days ago

Last edited by largestherb (2013-09-02 21:46:05)

#2 2013-09-02 07:52:38

Blip

Re: request: 'house code' in recordedgame on die! ~also power supply stuff

Agreed. This would be a nice feature to have.

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#3 2013-09-02 19:09:43

largestherb

ukuko had an interesting idea earlier, i don't think super game-breaking but you don't know if you don't propose!

so basically, power sources actually taking up a tile, instead of being some kind of.. subterranean sunken generator.. because.. well, seems more realistic to have power coming from a large unit rather than a flat tile.

i think it'd work fine with water breaking it (cheap $100 power cut off, but tile is still an obstacle) and with blowtorch melting it (power off, passable at $800). maybe even adding it as being 'breakable' with a club/crowbar, but still impassable. hm!

very quick mock-up art.. (it'd probably look better with some kind of red alert tesla coil kind of junk coming out of it!) rOCFRbe.png
THK9JrR.png

#4 2013-09-03 06:45:50

jere

rOCFRbe.png
I really like that! I'm for anything that makes your house look more like a super villain's lair: rooms filled with and bounded by huge generators.

It would also make circuits slightly more powerful because it could help you wall off areas more easily. Honestly, I'm not sure if that is good or bad this point.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#5 2013-09-03 07:36:42

ukuko

Crucially it wouldn't let you pass power through walls, but it would help tidy up the corridors!

#6 2013-09-04 02:42:08

dalleck

Yes I can't see the downside to power supplies being walls either.  They are simply passing power and behaving like steel walls at higher cost.  It has always seemed odd how they are built into the floor like wires.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#7 2013-09-04 06:48:04

jere

They are simply passing power and behaving like steel walls at higher cost.

Well to be clear, they don't really "pass power," since that would imply they would pass a signal/low voltage. I only nitpick because I'm pretty sure steel walls and any similar tiles are gone forever.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#8 2013-09-04 09:08:50

largestherb

just for the record there would be no point making a wall out of power supplies, it would not act like a steel wall at all, as it would be providing power constantly to every adjacent tile, unlike a steel wall which could be turned off.

the two maps below are basically identical, one is just going to cost you a lot more for no reason.

http://castledraft.com/editor/dkvLtt
http://castledraft.com/editor/G4e9mI

i mean you're welcome to have a wall made of power supplies if you think it looks good, but it isn't going to really benefit you unless you want power coming out of that many tiles for some strange reason

http://castledraft.com/editor/Ui5lX6 yeah i guess it looks kind of fun tongue

Last edited by largestherb (2013-09-04 09:14:57)

#9 2013-09-09 14:02:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I do not endorse the use of third party tools for viewing and saving maps outside of the game!   :-)

I'm fine with there being unofficial hacks that allow that, though (and there's no way that I can stop it, really).

The original game had "tall" blocking power supplies just like you're suggesting here.  I changed them for some reason.

Ah ha:

http://sourceforge.net/p/hcsoftware/Cas … 9f256b635/

"Made power source shorter and crossable to prevent it from being used as a non-breakable wall."

Yeah, you could cut through it with a blowtorch or something.  But "blocking" just felt like an unnecessary property for it to have.  I agree that it looks cooler when it is tall.

Board footer