The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-12 16:02:40

nathan

Why not make Linux Binaries?

Or at least a .deb file or something. I recently switched to Ubuntu and don't feel like compiling the source code for every new release. Is there a valid reason why there's no .deb file support?

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#2 2013-09-12 21:50:13

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Why not make Linux Binaries?

Hmm... well, as I understand it, I would need to make .debs for lots of different versions of Debian-based Linux.  Like, for each variation of libc or something?  At least that's the way it used to be.  And of course Debian runs on about 10 different platforms, including PPC and ARM and PS3 or whatever (I actually have a PPC Debian machine at home still!)

And that would just cover Debian ones.  There's also Redhat-based, and Mandrake, and whatever else.

Easiest to just distribute source.  On my (very slow) laptop, it takes about 2 minutes to build.  I'm guessing that on a modern machine, it would take 30 seconds or something?

The other thing is that the game is NOT designed to run from a central location and store each user's config in $home, because this is a platform-independent game ($home works differently on Windows and Unix), so the game just looks in the working dir for such stuff.  But deb files are built around installing things system-wide.

When the Debian team goes to package one of my games, they end up writing wrapper scripts to work around this (to switch to a folder in the user's home dir when the game is launched, etc.)

I like to keep the code clean and platform-independent, so it works the same way everywhere.

#3 2013-09-14 11:36:06

nathan

*sigh*
When I tried compiling the source, I got this error:

In file included from ../../minorGems/graphics/openGL/SingleTextureGL.h:34:0,
                 from ../../minorGems/graphics/openGL/ScreenGL_SDL.cpp:126:
../../minorGems/graphics/openGL/glInclude.h:8:19: fatal error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

EDIT: Apparently, I didn't have libsdl-dev installed. Sorry!

Last edited by nathan (2013-09-14 13:47:16)

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#4 2013-10-08 11:43:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You got it to build, then, right?

#5 2013-10-08 15:17:34

nathan

Yup!

Board footer