The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-15 11:58:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Version 19 Released

Along with several small fixes, version 19 changes the game in two major ways.

First, regular salary payments have been turned off and replaced with bounties that are earned when a robber dies in your house.  The point of this change is to discourage salary grinding from inside a scary or impenetrable fortress and encourage more psychological and varied house design.  The hope is that the "optimal house" is now the house that tricks the most people, which means that the optimal will forever be changing (a given trick only works a few times before you have to move onto something else).

Second, family defense has been made more interesting through the addition of a shotgun that can be placed for and picked up by the wife as she makes her escape.  After she picks up the shotgun, she becomes a deadly close-range threat to the robber.  Of course, she can shoot you by accident too when you are testing your own house.  This also brings family defense closer to what I want it to be thematically (women are not helpless, and they are plenty willing to arm themselves when necessary).

A full list of changes can be found here:

The Castle Doctrine Change Log

#2 2013-10-16 06:34:02

Dantheman

Re: Version 19 Released

Great to see an update!

The bounty idea seems very cool to me. This could certainly move people towards making more interesting houses.

My concern with the removal of salary payments though is how it will pan out in terms of possibly restricting the flow of money into economy. I guess that has to be seen in time.

Get out of my house!

Board footer