The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-19 22:58:30

dalleck

Scroll-Point Indicator

In seeing how scroll-point, ie. the point of the screen at which your view changes, is becoming increasingly important, what if this was indicated in the game, to both take some of the guess work out of it and also add a tangible notion of danger.

I thought a simple and artistic way to indicate this would be to apply a colour tone filter over the area beyond the edge of your scroll point.  This would also help to reinforce the feelings of isolation and danger and would also aid in designing traps around this element.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#2 2013-10-21 07:04:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Scroll-Point Indicator

This is an interesting idea, and it wouldn't be that hard to do (even in a nice, blurry-edged over-color that would pretty much match the vision shroud).

HOWEVER.... I'm totally in love with the way this game screen-shots (and generally looks on the screen), even the part about a darkened corridor becoming smoothly murkier as it nears the edge of the screen).  And I wouldn't want to spoil that.

The current rule is pretty simple:  if you ever step into the blocks that are 3 from the edge of the screen, the screen scrolls.  Most wall tiles are "gridded" in some way with struts, so it's not that hard to see where 3 tiles are.  The only completely un-gridded tile (that I can think of) are pits.

Board footer