The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-18 11:33:32

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Version 20 Released

There are two big changes in version 20.

First, the introduction of a panic button that allows family members to switch on circuits as they run out of the house.  This one little object pretty much changes everything in terms of house design and the family.  The panic button, along with animals and shotguns, is one of the only objects that doesn't block their exit path.

Second, animal movement has reverted back to the way it was in version 15:  animals remain in place until they see you, but then they attempt to direct-line follow or flee you forever after seeing you once.

Lots of other little fixes and tweaks, of course.  A full list of changes can be found here:

The Castle Doctrine Change Log

#2 2013-10-18 17:01:55

joshwithguitar

#3 2013-10-19 01:18:56

Dantheman

Re: Version 20 Released

Very cool.

Some things I notice that are potentially very important.

1. You can have multiple buttons.
2. The children can also operate them.
3. They can only be pressed once each.
4. The player cannot press them.

The last one in particular is interesting. This could mean that with certain designs if the family members are killed, the vault is rendered inaccessible without using copious amounts of tools.

Get out of my house!

#4 2013-10-20 17:34:52

largestherb

Dantheman wrote:

The last one in particular is interesting. This could mean that with certain designs if the family members are killed, the vault is rendered inaccessible without using copious amounts of tools.

this excites me a lot and made me download the game.

let the family buttons that must be pushed in order puzzle game commence!

#5 2013-10-21 04:58:14

joshwithguitar

Dantheman wrote:

One time robbable houses have been possible for a while now without needing to risk family members. For instance, have it so that to access the vault a cat at the end of a long line of pits has to see you and push a button and in doing so falls down a pit itself so that it cannot be used by a second robber.

#6 2013-10-21 06:24:34

dalleck

joshwithguitar wrote:
Dantheman wrote:

One time robbable houses have been possible for a while now without needing to risk family members. For instance, have it so that to access the vault a cat at the end of a long line of pits has to see you and push a button and in doing so falls down a pit itself so that it cannot be used by a second robber.

I think he is more saying that if family member becomes integral to solving the house then they are less likely to be killed.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#7 2013-10-21 06:49:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Say.... have any of you seen David Fincher's film Panic Room from way back in 2002?

It's been on my list for a long time (Fincher is pretty amazing), and I just saw it a few nights ago (alone, without my wife).

Wow... it's like, "Castle Doctrine The Movie."

#8 2013-10-21 09:01:33

ukuko

That's the one where the camera is always darting through tea cup handles, isn't it?

#9 2013-10-21 12:41:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, there is a lot of that in the movie.... to excess, according to my taste.  Though I suppose in 2002, it was mindblowing (CG that doesn't look like CG, etc.).

The first time he does it, it almost looks like a physical camera trick and would fool everyone, until the camera goes through a keyhole.  Then moments later, it passes needlessly through the handle of a coffee pot!

Board footer