The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-06 03:51:37

colorfusion

Re: Big steals

Wyld Stallyn wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

I'd like to say though that it was only due to hackers that I went to combo locks, and in my house the majority of people still die on the first non combo lock section.

That is an understandable reason then.

Still, running into an almost certain deathtrap is especially little fun for newbies. Even less so when it's almost the rule. Aside of two houses (and even so one was only doable after about a dozen trial and error runs, not sure how the owner managed to do it without tools, and the other one seems to be some sort of secret steps to make animals go certain ways that's just as impossible to figure out), all the advanced ones I ever ran up against had some sort of a "1/1000 chance you get it right, shucks mate"-lock after no later than the first "normal" unavoidable trap, which is just designed to make unsuspecting people stuck in there. Hardly an anti-hacker measure.

I also noticed that there's no way the family can ever leave the house in almost all of these. Are they all dead, or is it an exploit?

There are a few techniques to make combo locks easier to solve than they may appear.

Let's take a normal 8 bit combo lock; it has 256 possibilities to try.

The first thing people often forget is you can try up to 9 combos on a single run with an 8 bit lock, meaning really it is only ~30 runs to crack.

Next thing is the fact there are going to be combos that people won't use; very rarely do people have the pressure plates all on or all off to enter, because everyone will use those combos. I'd say about 20 combos fall under this category for popular houses bringing it down to ~27 runs.

The first try you run you'll have a 1/27 chance of getting through, after that you'll have a 1/26 because you already know it isn't the run you just tried, next time it's 1/25 and so on. You're unlikely to only solve it on your very last go, so an 8 bit combo lock isn't usually going to take the full 27 runs.

Also people often leave their walls at 9 blocks thickness thinking that's enough. When they do you can use 8 of your tools then slightly see through the wall to the wiring, giving you easy and certain access to the vaults combo after a run for each of the buttons.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-04-06 03:51:51)

#27 2013-04-06 05:21:01

bgorven

Omnipotent: from the video, it looks like there is an extra square of metal next to the leftmost switch, bypassing the combolock altogether when that rail is powered.

colorfusion: you're looking at more like 70 runs for an eight bit lock (there are 70 ways to choose 4 items from a set of 8, wiki binomial coefficient), and that's assuming there's no timing component or pet magic.
I've found that just a 2 bit combo with a time limit has been enough to keep my paintings safe (for longer than I've ever stayed alive, at least), and has the added advantage of not letting you get robbed at all after someone kills a family member.

I think the main thing is that in terms of actual security it's impossible to beat a good combination lock, and all I wish is that there were some way to reward great level design instead of just stealing everything - sometimes I'll get to the end of some really exciting puzzle and start thinking “Oh what have I done? Now this guy's probably going to give up or go to combolocks” and just kill myself out of shame.

#28 2013-04-06 05:59:51

vraeden

Wyld Stallyn wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

I'd like to say though that it was only due to hackers that I went to combo locks, and in my house the majority of people still die on the first non combo lock section.

That is an understandable reason then.

Still, running into an almost certain deathtrap is especially little fun for newbies. Even less so when it's almost the rule. Aside of two houses (and even so one was only doable after about a dozen trial and error runs, not sure how the owner managed to do it without tools, and the other one seems to be some sort of secret steps to make animals go certain ways that's just as impossible to figure out), all the advanced ones I ever ran up against had some sort of a "1/1000 chance you get it right, shucks mate"-lock after no later than the first "normal" unavoidable trap, which is just designed to make unsuspecting people stuck in there. Hardly an anti-hacker measure.

I also noticed that there's no way the family can ever leave the house in almost all of these. Are they all dead, or is it an exploit?

You guys kill our families!  We retaliate with electric death traps.  smile  I don't get rich by you guys dying in my traps.  I get rich by stealing from all the really small dollar amount houses that are people who may have left or taken a break from the game.  And catching the occasional $2k house.  I'm not sure why those ever exist...as soon as I die, I immediately build a trap to protect my first theft.

It's not cheating to use the tools given as designed.  It's not an exploit.  If you went into my house...you might think the first trap is impossible, but I've seen people do it without brute-forcing it.  They MIGHT have been cheating, or they may have just tried enough times that they deduced the logic of how such a puzzle could be constructed.  Perhaps I will go make a video of my house and then post it after I die.

#29 2013-04-06 06:02:51

Raisane

i just beat a house and got 26k money, but my house is still completely empty and i don't know how to make high tech defensive stuff 0,0

#30 2013-04-06 06:14:22

vraeden

Raisane wrote:

i just beat a house and got 26k money, but my house is still completely empty and i don't know how to make high tech defensive stuff 0,0

That's really funny.  I just logged in and my money is all gone.

#31 2013-04-06 06:24:20

vraeden

And I'm really not sure what happened.  I tried to fix the trap, nothing appeared broken anywhere and I died in a place I don't think I should have died by all logic.  I was looking forward to recording that video of my trap eventually...not today.

#32 2013-04-06 06:25:18

Wyld Stallyn
Website

vraeden wrote:

You guys kill our families!  We retaliate with electric death traps.  smile  I don't get rich by you guys dying in my traps.  I get rich by stealing from all the really small dollar amount houses that are people who may have left or taken a break from the game.  And catching the occasional $2k house.  I'm not sure why those ever exist...as soon as I die, I immediately build a trap to protect my first theft.

I only killed a family once, and that was just a reaction to an over the top deathtrap dungeon.

Yeah I switched to that too since then. Works a bit better. You actually run up against puzzles!

It's not cheating in the silly classical PC-game sense, but it's cheating in the sense of loophole abuse. As the creator himself said, he was not prohibiting these locks because it's really hard to do, not because he thinks it deserves to be a part of the game. That's just an unfortunate yet unavoidable side effect.

I mean sure, having no element of luck is definitely unavoidable if you want to have an effective trap dungeon that doesn't take 30 hours to plan out, but it's a difference if that means 1/1000 players get even a chance or 1/100.

vraeden wrote:

And I'm really not sure what happened.  I tried to fix the trap, nothing appeared broken anywhere and I died in a place I don't think I should have died by all logic.  I was looking forward to recording that video of my trap eventually...not today.

Maybe someone let the dogs out by breaking the wrong walls.

Last edited by Wyld Stallyn (2013-04-06 06:29:25)

#33 2013-04-06 06:43:50

Raisane

vraeden wrote:

tbh, i didn't use any tools to beat that house, let me explain the layout:

from the door towards the right there is a line of around 9 electric traps 1 to te right of the door then up and down are empty squares (traps)
the trick of the 1st part was that if you walk back to the door after leaving the square after the door, you die, if you walk to the end you also die. i just needed to walk back and forth on the traps that weren't insta kill till i thought was enough, after that there were 4 pressure plates upstairs, and 4 pressure plates downstairs, of the upstairs ones i enabled the middle 2, from the bottom ones the outer 2 (pure guessing) so i walk to the right and open a NORMAL door, after a few steps i can either walk upstairs or downstairs (upstairs were dogs and i died stupidly, so i did this all on my second try) the 2nd try i walked downstairs and i got to the safe

i'm guessing this wasn't your room because there were around 9 tries done

#34 2013-04-06 06:46:19

Raisane

tip: money in safe is 7915, so just try out that one (wife is still alive).
could someone tell me my name? big_smile

Last edited by Raisane (2013-04-06 06:48:48)

#35 2013-04-06 06:48:31

vraeden

Raisane wrote:
vraeden wrote:

tbh, i didn't use any tools to beat that house, let me explain the layout:

from the door towards the right there is a line of around 9 electric traps 1 to te right of the door then up and down are empty squares (traps)
the trick of the 1st part was that if you walk back to the door after leaving the square after the door, you die, if you walk to the end you also die. i just needed to walk back and forth on the traps that weren't insta kill till i thought was enough, after that there were 4 pressure plates upstairs, and 4 pressure plates downstairs, of the upstairs ones i enabled the middle 2, from the bottom ones the outer 2 (pure guessing) so i walk to the right and open a NORMAL door, after a few steps i can either walk upstairs or downstairs (upstairs were dogs and i died stupidly, so i did this all on my second try) the 2nd try i walked downstairs and i got to the safe

i'm guessing this wasn't your room because there were around 9 tries done

No, that sounds like my room and that was the combo.  I didn't like that particular combo, but i had wiring issues.  I figured someone could figure out the grill part.  Now I have to figure out how on earth I died after fixing it.  I died in the middle of the grills and you saw why that shouldn't have been possible...

As far as the 9 tries, I had just added the red herrings of the empty spaces above the first grill.

#36 2013-04-06 06:52:16

vraeden

Raisane wrote:

tip: money in safe is 7915, so just try out that one (wife is still alive).
could someone tell me my name? big_smile

It'll take me a while before I start earning money again.  I have to figure out my next design first.  If you figured it out in one day without cheating, it's too easy or you're smarter than me.  Either way, I'm going to try harder.

#37 2013-04-06 06:57:36

Raisane

i did it in around 10 minutes, i guessed the combination right in my first try, i guess i died around 6 times in your room.

#38 2013-04-07 10:28:31

colorfusion

qc2GC84.png

Another big steal, your trap system was pretty good!
Stole about 40K and a load of items.

Last edited by colorfusion (2013-04-07 10:32:21)

#39 2013-04-08 16:46:05

Funky Functionality

Hah, I scoped out that house above and intended to come back with some tools... totally forgot.  Nicely done.

#40 2013-04-09 18:53:13

wow gold news

Wow, people are really bitching about how some things don't quite make it into the patch note list. Then, furthermore, bitch at the blue in regards to this. Get a life, people. Really. wow gold news http://www.susanexpress.ca/News/508/PC-games-.html

#41 2013-04-09 18:57:42

wow gold

you think Gorefiend's Grasp is ok? MassGrip, SolarBeam, RoF, Smoke Bomb -win, thats about bring they not the class..Comp matters a lot in Challenge Modes, but you can get gold as any class (just perhaps not world first). (Source)When I read the question i was 99% sure he was talking about RBG's, when i clicked on source, I saw, he WAS asking about RBG's.The way Ghostcrawler thought he was talking about CM and not RBG simply sums up how much Ghostcrawler gives a crap/knows about PvP.Really, this is a legit PVP balance question, and then GC interprets it as a "Derp i cant get faster gold CM time".I love both high level pve and pvp... but this Question and the answer right here just show how little Greg gives a fuck about pvp. wow gold http://www.susanexpress.com.au/

#42 2013-04-09 19:08:24

www.guy4game.com.au

Just logged on to undergo and it says inside in-game calender that WoW's Anniversery will begin at 3 am SE RÉVÈLE ÊTRE. www.guy4game.com.au http://www.guy4game.com.au/

#43 2013-04-09 19:11:18

buy wow gold news

People might say they do not care about WoW yet again.. but thy do... they doooooo 30 000 someones online on MM-C at this time. buy wow gold news http://www.susanexpress.ca/News/514/Lat … -News.html

#44 2013-04-09 19:12:39

wow gold

Originally Posted by WraylasWoW: Hello kitty islandorWow: Friendship is magicMy money is on Warcraft: Rise of Kitty Basket. wow gold http://www.susanexpress.ca/

#45 2013-04-09 19:24:50

Buy Wow Gold

Wow, I actually like the DK set, but the mage hat continues to be just silly... Buy Wow Gold http://www.susanexpress.ca/

#46 2013-04-09 19:26:28

BUY D3 GOLD

Originally Posted by Spoiledkid35 copper per honor point noise low. That's what I was just thinking.. 12k extra points is truly a whopping 42 gold. BUY D3 GOLD http://www.guy4game.com.au/Diablo-GOLD-US.html

#47 2013-04-09 19:29:34

sergio

I lost 30k testing my new house design tongue

#48 2013-04-09 19:34:11

buy wow gold

And yet Blizzard must continue making video games and not start producing CGI movies one can choose from their franchises / anticipate Sam Raimi to log off is his ass that will create the WoW one? Seriously Blizzard, make it yourself. It might be at a lower cost / more profit, and get done Quicker. buy wow gold http://www.guy4game.com.au/

#49 2013-04-09 19:39:27

wow news

My WoW subscription brings about November. Do I add the actual 4 months of totally free game time NOW maybe in November? wow news http://www.susanexpress.ca/News/509/Of- … ayers.html

#50 2013-04-09 19:40:47

wow gold news

The visibility of Ragnaros' Dreadflame ability is with increased. err what? couldnt find any operate called dreadflame in wowhead. wow gold news http://www.susanexpress.ca/News/513/How … local.html

Board footer