The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-08 13:13:03

SuperBiasedMan

John Ryan Aguilera is an unlucky Man

This is probably a bug, but as I'm new I'm over cautious.
And before I send this to the empty bug forum, I wanna check if it's actually occurring for others and that it's not just an unusual gameplay function I haven't seen yet.

iyeo.png

John Ryan Aguilera certainly seems to have taken a financial beating...

Last edited by SuperBiasedMan (2013-11-08 13:13:58)

#2 2013-11-08 14:16:34

ukuko

Re: John Ryan Aguilera is an unlucky Man

That'll learn him.

#3 2013-11-08 14:32:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yep, a bug!

The server has been sending me emails about this today.... saying, "There's a dude with a negative balance!"

So, I'm working on fixing it.  But for the time being, I need to leave it be, so that I can study how it happened.

Also, I have no idea what would happen if you robbed this house... fair warning!

#4 2013-11-08 14:53:57

ukuko

I did notice that Aguilera had been buying paintings and then closing the game without completing a self test. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

#5 2013-11-08 15:41:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

How did you notice that?  OH... because new paintings were being added, but his house was still unsolvable without tools.  Hmm... yeah, that kinda sucks.

But yeah, I think that has something to do with it.

If you do that, the game is supposed to force-sell whatever tools you have to cover what you owe.

But I think there might be a way to USE the tools before the server can sell them.  Still, I don't see how.... because the server does the force-sell when it force-checks your house back in, and you can't rob a house (to use tools) without your edit being force-checked back in.

#6 2013-11-09 03:12:28

Axious

Ah yes, I must be Mr. Aguilera. So what happened was I got my house to a state where I felt I didn't want to change it, so I kept logging out without completing the self tests. What I am about to explain is something I have read in a previous post pretty much exactly. Since I couldn't spend money on tools or building supplies I tried to buy a painting, I sold all my banked tools before purchasing it (still had a broken house) when I purchased it I got it, and then logged out again without doing the self test. I had read that this was fixed, but to my amazement I came back to a balance with -12k or so. Couldn't build or change anything because my balance was always over budget. So I just left it that way. Slowly the budget seems to be building its way back to positive as people die in the broken house.

My iOS game Metal Masher check it out! www.MetalMasher.net

#7 2013-11-09 07:38:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well.... yeah, it WAS supposed to be fixed!

Essentially, the server is supposed to detect that condition and force-sell all your tools (which aren't actually sold, even when you sell them manually, until you check your house back in properly with a self-test).  So, it allows you to have a negative balance for a bit, as long as you have enough tools to cover the cost of the painting.  If your balance is still negative later, when it shouldn't be, it force-sells those tools for you.

But some kind of bug made it so that selling those tools wasn't enough to cover the painting?  Weird.

#8 2013-11-10 09:05:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thanks to Axious' help, this has been fixed server-side.

Board footer