The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-16 10:19:41

John The Baptist

Can you rotate objects in build mode?

I currently have a situation where i need a voltage trigger switch to be facing down instead of up in order to have my trap work.

I can't mirror the trap so that  it'll work as there's already something there...

So is it possible to rotate objects?

#2 2013-11-16 11:07:57

dalleck

Re: Can you rotate objects in build mode?

John The Baptist wrote:

I currently have a situation where i need a voltage trigger switch to be facing down instead of up in order to have my trap work.

I can't mirror the trap so that  it'll work as there's already something there...

So is it possible to rotate objects?

I have often thought this would be an extremely versatile additional.  I *think* it has been suggested in the past, but it must have been very long ago...

Including four direction voltage switches would make electronic designs much more diverse, ie. more friendly to alternative trap positions.

The rich aren't safe. Nobody is safe. -jere                   ...but the smell wafts out from the pit, obviously. - Jason Rohrer

And the more dickish they are, the more I feel like beating a house to destruction after finally figuring it out. -bey bey

#3 2013-11-16 11:14:45

colorfusion

It's not possible currently, but I agree that it would be a great addition.

Perhaps simply using the scroll wheel could alternate between different states of an object.

That could be used for rotating voltage switches, switching between pressed/unpressed pressure plates, switching between conducting/nonconducting indicator lights, switching between normal, vertical and horizontal wires, and possibly even placing already broken walls. It would clear up some space in the build list and offer more possibilities.

#4 2013-11-16 14:33:32

largestherb

while i wanted this a long, long time ago. electronics have gotten to the point where i am afraid allowing the rotation of voltage triggers would allow for much more compact electronics, and thus expanding the already crazy degree of magic you can wield with electronics.

i am not much a fan of the clocks. dancing back and fourth on two squares every now and then to figure out a pattern doesn't feel like a very deep gameplay area for a robber. maybe better suited to the old blueprint puzzle game mode.

#5 2013-11-18 15:36:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I think there's something nice about having these weird little constraints in place.  It reminds me of engineering, where sometimes the fact that some part only turns in one direction can have an unexpected consequence that will make you have to redesign the whole damn thing, just because of that one finicky part.  Also true of retrofitting.... dammit, I'm going to have to tear this wall out to get to the back of this switch plate!

There's one other thing to consider, and that's the visibility of floor tiles behind south-adjacent wall tiles.  Currently, the "important" part of these voltage switches (the top, spring-loaded part) is always visible, even if there's a wall to the south.

Finally, rotating stuff while editing feels finicky.  Note that the game currently auto-rotates many things based on the location of adjacent walls, but not in ways that affect their functionality.

#6 2013-11-18 21:55:09

Axious

I would love to see rotatable objects. This would be good for my idea of the crossbow-wall, that shoots an arrow when it sees a robber and the arrow moves one tile with every step of the robber. Obviously deadly if it hits you!

My iOS game Metal Masher check it out! www.MetalMasher.net

Board footer