The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-01 12:17:16

arakira

dog not "activated" yet, but rotating

This is not a bug, but it feels strange when a dog hasn't spotted me but is rotating according to our relative positions.
For example in this setup:

X  X  D
       X  X

R

where the X are walls, D is the dog and R is the robber (R and P stand on a diagonal).
Here the robber can see the dog, but the dog hasn't noticed the robber yet.
However, if the robber moves a bit up or left, the dog will rotate, which is a bit weird...

By the way, congrats for this awesome game.

#2 2013-12-01 12:18:37

arakira

Re: dog not "activated" yet, but rotating

I forgot to mention that I didn't test this configuration with cats or family, it may behave the same.

#3 2013-12-01 16:22:13

largestherb

it is the same in build mode. it doesn't make sense, but neither does a dog walking into a pit. or a lot of other things in this game world tongue

i think this is something that would feel really weird if it was changed.

#4 2013-12-01 17:30:27

gyuri

Imagine opening a door and finding a dog behind it looking the other way. Certainly it would be weird if it could turn around and take a step towards you in just one move. I suppose the rotation is there to avoid this.

#5 2013-12-01 18:38:49

jere

The dog can hear you but won't start tracking you down until they have visual confirmation.

LOL. If only that was the way dogs worked.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#6 2013-12-02 03:37:10

arakira

Yes, that is right !

#7 2013-12-02 08:51:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This is an interesting one...

In the build mode, I really like how pets and family always face you.  It makes the house feel move alive... like they care about you, and want to watch what you're up to (and as a parent of little kids, this resonates---while I'm fixing something in the house, my toddler is following me around, watching me and asking questions).

I think I tried turning this off for unseen mobiles in robbery mode (so that they stay in a fixed position, and only face you after they've seen you).  As I recall, this looked really weird, because as they became seen, they would suddenly "jump" in orientation to face you, often doing a complete 180 or whatever.  Because you can "kindof" see them in the shadows right before you come around the corner and they see you, them jumping orientation like this is jarring.  So, they track you always, and then when they become truly visible, there is no sudden jump in their orientation, because they are already facing you.

I realize that this makes it a pain to judge whether an animal is currently tracking you or not.

Thematically, they think they hear something through the walls, but they're not totally sure until they see you at least once.

Board footer