The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-19 06:59:01

arakira

change highlights

I've noticed that in build mode, when "turn change highlights" is on, only newly added tiles will flash. If you remove an existing tile (to get an empty floor tile), this empty floor tile will not flash. So if you remove something, it won't be highlighted... I find it a bit strange. Was this implemented on purpose? Thanks!

#2 2013-12-25 12:22:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: change highlights

Well, the logic was that it shows you what you're paying to change (that's why it's green, the same color as the "-$536" display that shows how much you've spent on these changes---the changes also turn red when you spend too much, just like the spent total number turns red).

Removing stuff is free, so it's not factored into how much you are spending.

So, let's say you're making changes, and your $25 over... those change highlights will help you figure out how to trim $25 from you changes (by removing something that you built that cost money).

#3 2013-12-25 17:26:21

arakira

What is a bit annoying for me is that often, when I improve my house, I remove temporarily, for example, some concrete walls to see clearer. Then, when it's done, I'd like to put some of those concrete walls back (so they are not definitely lost), but I don't remember exactly where they were, so I have to try to put a concrete wall on every tile around and, looking if my money account is moving. Or, sometimes I wonder where was the door I removed a few steps ago, and I have to undo as many steps as needed to find it again. Maybe I'm the only one annoyed... But I don't see why highlighting deleted tiles would disturb the behaviour you just described: you could still see all your changes and trim those 25$.
Well, I guess you decided this way for the best visual consistency. Thanks for your reply!

#4 2013-12-25 22:14:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I get why you would want those highlights there.... hmm...

But the problem with highlighting "empty floor" spots where something is removed is that it gives you no information about how to "correct" that to make the change highlight go away.  Like, you remove a concrete wall, so there's a green-highlighted empty floor there now... and then later, you're trying to put it back the way that it was... so you have to remember what was there anyway!

The same is true of the other highlights (like, if you replace wood with concrete, there's a highlight there, and it doesn't tell you how to revert it).  But since highlights only symbolize "money spent" and not necessarily "all changes", you can easily "fix" that highlight by simply removing the concrete (and thus not spending that money).

So, there is a certain logic to the way that it works.  It also symbolizes exactly how the server is going to bill you for what it bills you for (it computes the exact same "new placements" diff and bills you just for that).

So... a suggestion for you:  why not put an innocuous place-holder object (like... maybe indicator lights) in the place of the stuff that you remove, to remind yourself where you need to put a wall (or door) back later?

It will be diff-highlighted for you, to remind you to put the real object back later.  And you have two different colors of lights to work with (for two different "notes to self" that you might leave... like, orange to make holes in walls, and green to temporarily remove doors).

I'm sure you're already doing this with chihuahuas as placeholders for pitbulls when testing....

#5 2013-12-27 08:08:51

arakira

You're right. As I said, it is not a big problem to me though... I was just wondering. It is a matter of visual choices, and the actual version is very fine.

Board footer