The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-21 18:16:37

LithiumTwist

Suggestion..probably just a nub raging though

Hey all, I apologize if this has been suggested elsewhere but... I am very new to the game, i bought it and haven't closed my laptop for 48 hours strait because it rocks ~ however, I feel like there is a major balance issue that might be discouraging the new player base (this may not be an issue once steam rolls through but still) I have tried dungeons, died repeatedly and enjoyed it - I even got my dungeon to kill someone in my puzzle which was great. The problem I feel is happening, is that the folks in the super dungeons have no reason to risk taking on a dungeon on their level. When they could simply brute force a newbies 2k dungeon, (assuming I make it with around 1500, buy no tools and leave the rest as a lure). I get that the very point is to take the dungeon for all its got, but when I watch the tapes its 90% someone with more tools than a 2k dungeon can defend against, and rather than even trying the gauntlet they simply break it...and then since they are only making 250 or so from the safe or wife, they go around break it more. Forcing a doom run or restart, it keeps (me at least, i'm happy if I'm the only one) from progressing.

my suggestion thought... a lock out system...most pvp games need them, i.e lvl 50 cant pk a lvl 10 but can a lvl 40....I understand there is no level system, but say if you have a 10k+ dungeon, maybe you can only access 7k+ ones...something that forces the players on top to battle each other, instead of just bottom feeding.

--yes its everyone for themselves and its great that way, but no one likes griefing before they can even build a proper trap....I am willing to say that it is on me to build something appropriate with what I got, and that I may simply haven't found the right balance. As a new player though, after just spending 4 hours on a puzzle trap, someone gave me 5 minutes of exploring my work before using more tools than the place was worth to break it all -- that to me goes against the spirit of the game, the whole thing was solve-able with minimal risk, the point was that I wanted players to explore it and figure it out as long as they were paying attention, this happens enough that I'm posting here instead of just leaving the already small community...

-Lithium

#2 2013-12-25 12:34:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Suggestion..probably just a nub raging though

Thanks for the input here Lithium.

The rich players are already, generally, de-motivated from picking on little folks, because they have a lot to lose if they make a mistake, and stealing your $250 just isn't worth it.  If you did lure one of them in, and manage to kill one, you'd likely earn a huge bounty.

I'm guessing that the people doing this to you are more low-level.  Maybe even someone starting a fresh life and spending all $2000 on tools, just on a lark.

Anyway, if you find a tape where it looks like someone did this to you, send me an email with the full name of the robber:  jasonrohrer@fastmail.fm

Then, I can look in the server logs and tell you the whole story about where this person came from, how they afforded the tools, and what they did after robbing you.

As far as strategy, everyone starts at 0, and eventually dies (or is robbed blind) and goes back to 0 again.  Even the rich are vulnerable, and no one is rich forever in this game.  Yes, some of them have "figured stuff out" in terms of advanced building tricks and so on...

Really, the name of the game, strategy-wise, is to build a house that somehow tricks people.  Maybe it looks like an easy house... but has some deadly trick to it.  "Trick" doesn't actually cost very much money to construct, and rich people don't have that much of an advantage when it comes to tricks.

#3 2013-12-26 01:04:04

Dantheman

I have noticed a few times though that some high level person has maybe gotten bored, and basically wiped out every house on the list within an hour including my own. They certainly arrived with more than two thousand dollars of tools. I'm not sure how often this happens, but it isn't entirely unknown.

Get out of my house!

#4 2013-12-26 09:34:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, that's possible too!

#5 2013-12-26 13:19:25

ZenRose

I think the mass destruction was more previlant when there was only one supreme house.  Right now there are a whole crop that seem to sit >$5000 which I think is a good development.

As far as players playing rationally (for their own gain) vs. irrationally (for your maximized loss) I have to say that I've introduced 4 other people to this game and all but one of them plays on the very self interested side of the spectrum, not seeking to cause extra harm (because that usually costs us money) whereas the other player is just the opposite.  He will sometimes build a house but more often than not he will load up on tools and charge into house after house, thoroughly destroying them or dying trying.  If you can make a house to withstand the battery of these destructive players it can be very lucrative.

Board footer