The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-16 18:21:12

Bronxsta

Need some tips on wiring

I was never very good with the electric components in games like Minecraft and Little Big Planet. So I'm having some trouble just getting the most basic traps to work here. For example I'm trying to make a pressure plate close a door behind me, but when I test it, the door is already closed when I start. Is there any good threads here just explaining the wiring or other guides online?

#2 2014-01-16 19:41:10

joshwithguitar

Re: Need some tips on wiring

The door must be getting power through another means, which means there must be a powered tile next to it. If you make sure the only conductive tile next to the door is the sticking switch it should work. Another possibility is that you've used an already "on" switch. If you're having troubles upload a screenshot and we should be able to tell you what is going wrong.

In regards to tutorials and guides they are still yet to be completed on the wiki. I was thinking about doing to advanced electronics page now that I have a bit of free time, but could also do the basic wiring page if no one else is up for it.

#3 2014-01-17 01:44:20

anable

Would love a wiring tutorial. Completely new here and completely lost. Watched a Youtube video on bitlocks and couldn't figure out how the guy set the code even though I watched him place every tile.

#4 2014-01-17 06:17:08

Antiblitz

Okay picture in your mind a cross, like a red heart cross, a plus sign if that helps.  Now break that up into tiles, we have a center tile, with a single tile in each direction.  Put the door in the west tile, put a inverted powerswitch in the center tile, on the east tile put a power station(the blue square that gives power), in the north tile, put a pressure switch(the one that only presses down, and sticks down, not a toggle one, it should have like an orange color on its sides).  Lastly, put a power station above the pressure switch, and you have created a door that only opens when the button is pressed.

Now just add wiring to the system to stretch it out, and you are set.  That is a very simple design on closed power doors. 

To have a door close behind the person, its as simple as(using the same plus sign tileset) a door in the west tile, a pressure switch in the center, and a power station on the east tile.  If you cant afford the door, use a electric floor trap, it all works the same.

Of course, remember, always hide your wiring, it makes it tougher on the robber to break things, as well as know what is coming ahead of time.  Also note, what i explained above is soley for the purpose of a pressure switch, the toggleable ones can achieve the same thing without the need for the inverter, however, these switches can be clicked on and off, so in theory someone can check and see what they are turning on and off, or simply just escape if its a door.

#5 2014-01-17 06:56:16

joshwithguitar

I've quickly put together a castledraft map as a reference for basic electronics. Blue wires are those that are powered.

http://castledraft.com/editor/t8NbIQ

The top shows the different states of the house objects when powered and unpowered.

The middle part shows how different wires conduct - the wire bridge conducts top to bottom and left to right but does not cross the two. Rotating switches conduct in the direction they are facing. Wired walls conduct in all directions.

The bottom shows how voltage triggered switches and inverted switches work. Voltage triggered switches will conduct left to right when powered from above and voltage triggered inverted switches conduct when not powered from above.

I hope this helps a little.

#6 2014-01-17 09:22:26

jasonrohrer
Administrator

To answer the original question, there are two kinds of pressure plates:  those that start out passing power (Starts On) and those that start out not passing power (Starts Off).

The other thing to remember is that you need to put the switch BETWEEN the power source and whatever it is that you're trying to switch on and off.

So, to make a door that closes behind you, you'd do this:

http://castledraft.com/editor/7lpD3E

Note that it's a switch that starts off until you step on it.

You could also put a sticking switch there instead, to make it close permanently behind you.

In general, CastleDraft is a pretty amazing tool for discussing map layouts and asking questions.  You can post here with a link to what you tried to build (by making a mock-up of it in CastleDraft), and we can help you figure out why it isn't working.

Board footer