The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-17 20:27:38

DethBringa

Electronic suggestions

These may planned already or may have been thought of and discarded for a reason but here goes:

1) Create corner wires for each of the 4 corners like ┐ └ ┘ and ┌ instead of using the +?
2) Add wired steel and/or concrete walls?
3) Add switches facing the other 3 directions?

This may start to clutter and complicate the menu for selecting things but would be cool additions for minimizing wiring so it takes up less room. I do realise that the amount of electrics in a house has already had a few issues pre V30 and that could be why you chose not to add these.

Would like to hear your thoughts.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#2 2014-01-18 04:17:10

colorfusion

Re: Electronic suggestions

Jason has said that he doesn't want to make wiring components more compact in fear of things like counters becoming too small, and also that he likes how some parts are finicky to put in place.

Steel walls used to be conducting, but it lead to massive combo locks.

#3 2014-01-18 05:29:36

DethBringa

Ahhhh yea was wondering that. So far it seems that everything I've thought of that would be an improvement isn't in the game for a very good reason.
Cheers for the info.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#4 2014-01-20 09:25:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

With the walls, there's supposed to be a trade-off.  Wood walls are the easiest to cut through (and can be cut with all three wall-bypass tools), but they're also the only ones that pass power.

I didn't want a "tile rotation" thing in the UI because it is fiddly.  I eventually added horizontal and vertical wires simply because it makes houses look cleaner, and it was just two tiles to add.  The ideal thing would be one "wiring" tile that auto-reacts to everything around it, only sending out "plugs" if there's something nearby that can take the power.  But that would be really hard to code correctly, and I think it would end up being fiddly (with it connecting stuff that you don't want connected all the time).

Corner wires would look very nice and get rid of the ugly plugs hanging out as wires go around corners, but they'd also require a heap of new power-passing properties to be added to the game engine for all four cases.  And... I'm pretty sure it would require FOUR new tiles (I don't think I could automate it so that it knows which direction the corner should be).

Voltage-controlled switches cannot be rotated on purpose:  they capture an important aesthetic of engineering, where you end up having to tear the whole car apart because of the contrary orientation of one piece.  They give the exercise of house building more flavor and character.

Board footer