The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-21 19:54:16

anable

Starting a server/mod documentation

Looking to get some information on what it takes to get a private Castle Doctrine server up and running. The wiki leads to a blank page and the only thing I could find on the forums is this thread which references a HowToInstall.txt file that I don't see in my game folder. I also don't see a separate server download option that Jason seem to reference in that post. I have a server and am decently familiar with php/mysql so I don't need my hand held too much but I'm obviously missing something.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by anable (2014-01-22 15:23:53)

#2 2014-01-21 20:19:36

nathan

Re: Starting a server/mod documentation

The server should be located in the server/Linux Source file in the downloads page, if I'm not mistaken. You'll need 7-Zip or WinRAR or something if you want to extract it, though.

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#3 2014-01-21 23:57:52

anable

Looks like it's actually in the UnixSource file but you got me close enough to figure it out so thanks. smile

Updated the wiki with a slightly cleaned up version of the HowToInstall instructions. Probably won't get around to actually setting up my server until tomorrow though.

Last edited by anable (2014-01-21 23:58:46)

#4 2014-01-22 03:34:50

ukuko

I've set a couple up before so give me a shout if you get stuck.

#5 2014-01-22 09:07:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, you're probably going to need a linux machine to host a server.... unless php/mysql can run under Windows these days---I don't know.

So, anyway, the server stuff isn't included in the Windows bundle.

I just added a note to the Download list about hosting your own server with the UnixSource bundle.

#6 2014-01-22 13:51:28

nathan

You could try using WAMP.
http://www.wampserver.com/en/
It stands for Windows Apache MySQL PHP server and it's free. I haven't tried using it for anything, though, since I have a Debian box I do all of my server stuff on.

"I just robbed Mr. Rogers." -Ludicrosity "The wood is my desk, and I'm knocking it with my head." -Blip
"I'd rather pack 25 meats than 1 crowbar if you know what I mean..." -Jabloko
"This is one of the most disturbed things I have seen in quite a while. I blame global warming." -bey bey
"that seems like more resources than I'm willing to put into having my kids killed." -cbenny

#7 2014-01-22 15:16:04

anable

Kinda unrelated but didn't seem worth making a separate thread about. Because I'm apparently the wiki nazi now I've fixed the voltage trigger switch page. Originally it showed both the normal and inverted and I've moved the inverted to a separate page, both because the icon was missing from the listing before and because of the way the wiki is set up, on the trigger switch page in the table it listed both as the same item which is super confusing to someone already confused by wiring.

Last edited by anable (2014-01-22 15:18:39)

#8 2014-01-22 21:28:58

anable

So I was able to get mostly there but not quite. Both the ticket server and the game server scripts ran fine, the database looks good. I can log into both admin pages with no problems. I created a ticket account to put into the client and also updated the client to point to my reflector. Unfortunately when I load up the client it just times out without ever connecting. The only thing I can think is that my sharedClientSecret isn't correct but I've changed it to what it would be to connect to the main server so I'm not sure.

#9 2014-01-23 01:34:46

ukuko

Did you also update the url in reflector/server.php on the server?

#10 2014-01-23 11:43:46

anable

ukuko wrote:

Did you also update the url in reflector/server.php on the server?

I forgot to mention it but yes, it's pointing to my server/server.php file.

Tried changing all of my localhost URLs to full www. addresses and that seemed to fix it. I can log in with the client now. Woo!

#11 2014-01-23 12:09:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Good to hear!

I've always worried that it wouldn't be straight-forward enough for people to set up their own servers, but several people have succeeded now, so I guess my instructions are okay.

(Still, it's not something that works "out of the box" for someone with no PHP/MySQL experience.)

#12 2014-01-23 12:48:53

anable

There's a few small things you have to hunt for (like the sharedClientSecret) but for the most part it's pretty straight forward. I'll add a few tweaks to the wiki to make it slightly more clear but overall basic website management knowledge is all you need. And if you don't have that, I'm not sure what you're doing trying to set up a custom server!

And thank you Jason, for the effort to make the game accessible like this at all. I just saw on Steam today a dev team that was asking twice the price of their game for access to the source code and here you are giving away the whole thing with no copyright. I'm glad I can support the project.

#13 2014-01-25 14:19:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You shouldn't have to edit sharedClientSecret if you are connecting your own mod to your own server.  The default secret, bundled with both the server and the client source code in the source bundle, should "just work".  Let me know if I screwed something up there.

Oh... but if you want to run your own server for unmodified clients to connect to, you'd obviously have to update the sharedClientSecret on the server.... maybe that's what you're talking about.

#14 2014-02-05 08:03:28

DarkunderdoG

I think i'm having a similar problem. I'm using an unmodified client to connect to my own server. What should the sharedClientSecret be?

#15 2014-02-05 08:14:26

SmokestormX

Couple months back I used PHP/MYSQL with Wamp on windows to create a private server for myself and some friends just fine. (back around v20)

Works perfect I didn't have any trouble. Even set it up first time quite easy.

#16 2014-02-05 16:20:18

Quindo

I just tried to set it up, but for some reason I got a wall of error messages when I tried to sign into the game server.  The ticket server is working fine.  However when I try to log into the game server I get a bunch of 'fatel errors' and 'Doesn't exist' errors.

I commented out 'ts_setupDatabase();' and relogged into the game server and it was able to set up the server correctly.  I do not know if anyone else is having problems like that nowadays.

Board footer