The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-25 12:35:13

jere

Unexpected response from server

Went in to rob someone. Didn't spend any time idle. "Unexpected response from server" when I left and it gave me a new house.

I'm pretty sure I was on the front page with > 40k and actually had a shot at top 8.

hmm

Based on the timestamp , I think this is the culprit: "ERROR:  Could not connect to database server: User jcr13_cdGameU already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections"

Shows up only twice and immediately after one another at 1390678350 (7:32:30pm UTC), which is when this happened. I suppose it makes sense with the increased load...

Last edited by jere (2014-01-25 13:02:01)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#2 2014-01-25 13:01:55

DethBringa

Re: Unexpected response from server

I think actually the top houses are held off the page with macros. I'm pretty sure within the last hour of the contest a whole page of houses with over 100k will appear.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#3 2014-01-25 13:02:41

jere

Oh, ok. That's good to know. Softens the blow. I guess?

If get confirmation that a recovery is not happening, I'll post my house. I was quite proud of it for now having played in months.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-25 13:03:36)

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#4 2014-01-25 14:59:04

Blip

As I said in my similar thread lamenting my own house's loss to a "Web Request Failed" error, it seems like that recovery is only fair, because of the contest. I feel like I lost all of my chances at winning to bad luck. I might just buy a painting myself, like you suggested. tongue

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#5 2014-01-25 19:34:41

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah... sorry about this!

There's too much going on this weekend for me to recover individual houses.

Essentially, the server is experiencing way more load than ever before (900 unique players yesterday, for example... the most ever).

What happened was that there were more than 25 simult requests.  That limit was set on my database server, but I didn't know it was set, because we never had that happen before.  AND it wasn't even being logged (because the log is stored in the db, so if it can't connect, it can't log).

Didn't know about it until I ran into it myself... and then... oh no!

So, I scrambled to remove that limit, and I think we should be good now.  There is a server limit of 100 simultaneous MySQL connections still.... we may hit that at some point, but I fixed the logging to email me right away if that happens.  100 simult MySQL queries seems like a heck of a lot to me, though....  yikes!

I also wonder... the client should probably be fixed to show a RETRY button if it gets an unexpected response like this.

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I'm really juggling to much to restore individual houses during this contest.... I really wish I could, but...

Board footer