The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-23 15:37:56

WiZaRD

How does this work?

I'm new to this game and decided to build my maze, trapped house but when I went into my backpack to buy tools to break into other houses  I came out to check the house it said I had -$1302 after buying junk for my backpack... I noticed then it wouldn't let me leave, so I thought maybe I bought too much so I resold everything and it said I was still minus a lot of cash. Is this someone stealing from my house whilst I'm working on it?

I guess my questions are;

Can people steal from you whilst you're working on your house?
and
If so, how long do you get to build and protect your family and safe before people steal from you whilst you're building?

#2 2014-01-23 15:41:13

anable

Re: How does this work?

No one can steal from you while you are in your house, but the editor will let you spend more money than you have, only it won't let you click "Done" until you've sold enough backpack/house items to get into the positive. Also, no one can rob you for more than you have so you will never have a negative amount of money after getting robbed. Sounds like you may have made your starting house design too large/complicated/pricey.

#3 2014-01-23 15:41:29

WiZaRD

or can anyone explain why I was minus all that cash (I hadn't tested it yet)

#4 2014-01-23 15:42:51

WiZaRD

anable wrote:

No one can steal from you while you are in your house, but the editor will let you spend more money than you have, only it won't let you click "Done" until you've sold enough backpack/house items to get into the positive. Also, no one can rob you for more than you have so you will never have a negative amount of money after getting robbed. Sounds like you may have made your starting house design too large/complicated/pricey.

Ah, I guess I got too far ahead of myself. Starting from the bottom with all these ideas is very frustrating >_<

Thanks for the reply.

#5 2014-01-23 15:50:23

Blip

You can put as much stuff in your house as you want. However, you can only press "Done" when you have enough money to pay for it all. Upon completing your self test, that money is spent. It's important to note that, until you complete your self test, none of your cash has been used on your house; the green (or red) value shows the cost of your house upgrades, but they are not actually carried out until you press "Done".

Tools, on the other hand, are different. Buying a tool that you can afford instantly spends that much money, regardless of how much you were planning to spend on your house. What you probably did was set up a house design, not confirm it though a self test, then buy tools. This spent money on the tools and lowered the amount you had, so that you could no longer afford the design you planned.

Next time, try building your house, completing the self test to confirm your house expenditures, and then buying tools. Hope this helped!

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#6 2014-01-24 09:15:35

colorfusion

As Blip said, the coloured number is how much the changes will cost. The white one is how much you actually have.

If the changes cost more than you have then you can't press done, you need to undo some changes.

Tools only sell for half the price they are bought for, however if you press "Undo" in the backpack you could have undone the buying of the tools.

#7 2014-01-25 15:08:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This confusion stems from the fact that house changes are always undoable and changeable as long as they haven't been sent to the server yet.

So, you still "have" that money.  When you go to buy tools, you can spend that money!  Then, when you come out of the backpack screen, you no longer have enough money for the pending changes that you have made in the house.

You can undo what you buy on the backpack screen only until you leave that backpack screen.  After that, you will probably have to roll back some of the changes in your house.

#8 2014-01-25 15:25:25

arakira

I noticed that you can get robbed while you are watching your tapes, that is a bit weird. 2 days ago, I launch the game and go in my house, everything is fine. I start to watch the tapes, and see Josh (I think it is him, M. Stewart) trying to rob me, it was a very long and amusing tape where he was luring away my dogs one by one to drug them at the other side of the house but he was finally short of tools. So I smiled and said to myself "he knows too much, let's update the security". But in the meantime, while I was watching, he came back and got to my vault! I was shocked smile

#9 2014-01-25 15:38:57

DethBringa

Also if you view a tape your backpack is emptied into your vault. I don't mind robberies while viewing tapes but having to go back into my house to get my tools I already had is a little annoying, especially if your house is being robbed and you have to wait ages to get in.

If I vanish it's not due to a burglar shooting me as well as my wife while making his way to the vault....
I'm just a burst player.
tongue

#10 2014-01-25 17:49:48

colorfusion

DethBringa wrote:

Also if you view a tape your backpack is emptied into your vault. I don't mind robberies while viewing tapes but having to go back into my house to get my tools I already had is a little annoying, especially if your house is being robbed and you have to wait ages to get in.

It's after five minutes, not just watching tapes. Happens so that you can't keep cash hidden away in your pockets which used happen a lot and would be a huge problem with infinite backpacks.

#11 2014-01-25 18:15:55

joshwithguitar

arakira wrote:

I noticed that you can get robbed while you are watching your tapes, that is a bit weird. 2 days ago, I launch the game and go in my house, everything is fine. I start to watch the tapes, and see Josh (I think it is him, M. Stewart) trying to rob me, it was a very long and amusing tape where he was luring away my dogs one by one to drug them at the other side of the house but he was finally short of tools. So I smiled and said to myself "he knows too much, let's update the security". But in the meantime, while I was watching, he came back and got to my vault! I was shocked smile

I liked that house, very clever design. It must have been a bitch to self test though smile.

#12 2014-01-25 20:02:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I just checked, and your backpack IS force-returned to vault if you watch a tape OR if you spend 5+ minutes away from home without robbing anyone.

This is so you can't hide all of your wealth in your backpack while you are watching tapes.

#13 2014-01-27 02:17:02

arakira

joshwithguitar wrote:

I liked that house, very clever design. It must have been a bitch to self test though smile.

Oh yes, I died a few times during the self-test because I got bored and hit the keys too fast.
Also, after you reached my vault, I didn't understand why you didn't try to get to my wife too; actually you had enough remaining guns to get her.

#14 2014-01-27 03:49:05

joshwithguitar

I haven't killed a wife or any kids for months.

#15 2014-01-27 07:23:49

ukuko

joshwithguitar wrote:

I haven't killed a wife or any kids for months.

You monster

Board footer