The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-29 07:56:34

arieltonglet

Screen center at editing and self test/robbery

I've always had a strange feeling when working on my house and then going to self-test, but only today I've found out why
(wires to help visualization)

When you "enter" your house in editing mode, the entrance and the player are exactly at the center of the screen:
house centralization on editing mode

But.. when you enter on self test (or when someone is in a robbery, I suppose..) the screen looks like this:
house centralization on robbery mode

More than once I've found myself having to relocate some pet/trap because the screen scrolling was not somehow "consistent" in editing and in self-test, specially on the beginning of the map, but I've never really wondered why

Of course, if you walk up or down to the edges of the map you can center the map one way or another (since it is a 30x30 map, and so it doesn't have a central tile).
But is there a reason for it to behaves like that, or is it a change in the "render" of the map on the two modes?

#2 2014-01-29 08:41:35

largestherb

Re: Screen center at editing and self test/robbery

i always enter my house off-centre. i always have. i learned this and took note of it a long time ago.

i wonder why you are being put in the middle yikes

#3 2014-01-29 08:56:57

arieltonglet

oh boy.. yes, largestherb, I guess you are right. False alarm, sorry..
I must have walked in editing mode a little,  centered the doormat and then realized "oooh thats why!"
Case closed

...although this initial off-center thing kind of bugs me xD

#4 2014-01-29 09:15:35

Sconna

It makes it extra scary smile

You can easily fix the off-view by going to the top and then down again and you will have the same view as the robber.

#5 2014-01-29 10:36:15

colorfusion

When you first start editing your house, you have the exact same view as a robber will. The camera gets offset when you go to the bottom of the screen. It can't make a full movement of 5 blocks, so only moves 4 blocks down, and will still only move 5 blocks upwards when you go back up. This also happens with the sides of the house.

#6 2014-01-29 10:59:10

arieltonglet

Sconna wrote:

It makes it extra scary smile

lol!

colorfusion wrote:

When you first start editing your house, you have the exact same view as a robber will. The camera gets offset when you go to the bottom of the screen. It can't make a full movement of 5 blocks, so only moves 4 blocks down, and will still only move 5 blocks upwards when you go back up. This also happens with the sides of the house.

yeah, that's it. Thanks for putting it into better words XD
This can be frustrating, when you don't have it in mind, as well as it can be turned into a nice trick, I guess

#7 2014-01-29 11:14:42

colorfusion

arieltonglet wrote:
colorfusion wrote:

yeah, that's it. Thanks for putting it into better words XD
This can be frustrating, when you don't have it in mind, as well as it can be turned into a nice trick, I guess

My favourite traps rely on vision quirks like this, since nobody else seems to use them and a lot of people fall for them. tongue

Board footer