The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-31 06:14:03

joshwithguitar

Finding paintings

With over 600 houses on the list it has become pretty much impossible to track down the paintings I want to steal. Could we possibly have a method of finding each painting, such as an updated list on the main web page? Another possibility is some sort of signal indicating that a player owns paintings on the house list.

#2 2014-01-31 11:00:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Finding paintings

Hmm... I don't know....

I know you want to methodically be able to chase a painting.  But I think it makes it more special to stumble across it in the wild.

Also, for new players, they don't even KNOW all of the paintings... Right now, only HALF are in the auction house.  There are 155 of them.

So, there will be lots of "holy crap!  I didn't know ____ made a painting in this game" moments for people.  And then writing down the name of the person who has it, and going after them.

Granted, you can manually find a painting by stepping in the door of each house, and that's a pain in the neck.

BUT... I don't want to automate it to encourage that.

#3 2014-01-31 11:08:22

Turnout8

Maybe there could be some sort of pay-to-know sort of thing. As far as lore goes, it could be explained as paying a fence or someone else in the know for information. Maybe it is $10k to get a list of all houses in the neighborhood that have a painting inside. Or you could pay $25k to know exactly who has a particular painting you are after.

Whatever the actual cost is tuned to be, this way you preserve the feelings of surprise when you stumble across something in the wild, but at the same time, as the player-base grows and grows and grows and it becomes almost impossible to check every house, richer robbers who are after a particular painting have a way to find it.

Last edited by Turnout8 (2014-01-31 11:12:01)

#4 2014-01-31 11:19:11

colorfusion

Turnout8 wrote:

Maybe there could be some sort of pay-to-know sort of thing. As far as lore goes, it could be explained as paying a fence or someone else in the know for information. Maybe it is $10k to get a list of all houses in the neighborhood that have a painting inside. Or you could pay $25k to know exactly who has a particular painting you are after.

Whatever the actual cost is tuned to be, this way you preserve the feelings of surprise when you stumble across something in the wild, but at the same time, as the player-base grows and grows and grows and it becomes almost impossible to check every house, richer robbers who are after a particular painting have a way to find it.

Seems a bit complicated and unnecessary for a fairly minor part of the game. It would also pretty much always be easier just waiting for a painting to come onto the auction; although sometimes I feel like I want a type of painting, I rarely feel like I urgently need a specific painting and am willing to pay a whole lots for it.

Last edited by colorfusion (2014-01-31 11:21:20)

#5 2014-01-31 17:08:09

joshwithguitar

I guess the major worry I have is that a painting gets lost in a house with $28 in it 60 pages down the list and the player never returns to the game. Paintings could easily get lost forever down there.

#6 2014-01-31 17:16:43

arakira

In the Sarsaparilla serie, I have only seen the night one recently (quite often, it is one of my favorite). The two others, I haven't seen them in weeks, and I scouted hundreds of houses... I wonder where they are...

Board footer