The Castle Doctrine Forums

Discuss the massively-multiplayer home defense game.

You are not logged in.

#76 2014-01-30 10:58:37

ChartaBona

Re: Meta-Game and Common Trap Mechanics

My version of the "Doggie-Door Double Commit Gate" kills about 75% of robbers it seems. While tweaking the location of the middle power source, I inadvertently developed a sinister trap for the more careful players (who didn't activate the dogs) trying to get out of Dodge. They cut a wired wall that deactivates the commit floor trap, and there's a SLIGHT diagonal sliver of a pitbull in view. When they reach the middle electrified floor tile, the pitbull hits the other switch that re-electrifies the floor.

#77 2014-01-30 15:01:51

Blip

With some clever traps and some other less-clever ones, my house increased by almost $150K last night. Of course, I was also robbed pretty quickly by somebody with lots of tools... I wish I has more time to bask in the glory of wealth! I rebuilt and self tested, but forgot to replace a dead cat (oops) and died. It's a pretty good example of how a dog-based commit gate plus a really simple fake-out trap can kill so many people. That part of the trap easily got over 90 and my 110 or so so kills with that house; the combination lock later couldn't hold a candle to the success of such a simple death trap.

Edit: Here's the design. I'll do a more in-depth description later. http://castledraft.com/editor/7odwJC

Last edited by Blip (2014-01-30 19:11:01)

Current life: Not dead, but I have no clue who I am
The Life and Times of Christopher Alvin Harris
Record: 149 Paintings!

#78 2014-01-30 16:56:39

ChartaBona

Well, Jere. Tywin lannister hit me. John David Borgis came in packing. He proceeded to ladder all my pits, kill all the dogs he saw, and all around just destroyed everything.
He had:

20 clubs
41 saws
50 water
30 drugged meat
12 guns
14 ladders
4 crowbars

Robbed me for $65k.

#79 2014-01-30 17:54:50

jere

Man... not having followed Game of Thrones REALLY put me out the loop.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike

#80 2014-01-30 21:42:35

ChartaBona

jere wrote:

Man... not having followed Game of Thrones REALLY put me out the loop.

All you have to know is that Tywin Lannister is a cold calculated man who will destroy you, your house, and your extended family if you cross him.

#81 2014-01-31 04:23:35

arakira

An expensive one, but so funny: "the portugese mirage": http://castledraft.com/editor/cifrUE
And endless stream of kamikazes will come without bringing their parachute. Tried and approved. Don't forget to add some doggy death door in a corner in case a lucky one get past the mirage.

#82 2014-01-31 13:53:39

cbenny

I came up with a trap that seems to be working really well. Since I haven't come across anything similar in game or in the forum, I figure I'll post it here;

http://castledraft.com/editor/9l6F4V

This is a simplified version of my current house. This trap exploits the fact that family members can't move through other family members. Robber enters the house and spooks the wife, so the wife runs right up to the door but can't move any further because the kids are in the way. The robber can't walk past the dog and is wary of the electric floor, but doesn't see any reason why he can't safely open the door... Boom! Shot in the face.

If nothing else the security tapes are hilarious, especially watching someone moving very, very cautiously.

#83 2014-01-31 13:57:07

Club Children

Decoy traps are the best traps, my house is stuffed with obvious traps that don't work, people just tend to skip them and go into easier looking places, what ultimately leads them away from the safe.

Last edited by Club Children (2014-01-31 13:59:19)

#84 2014-01-31 16:54:44

jere

^^I have to say that is rather brilliant. I attempted something similar that involved walking through a door right into a shotgun blast, but it basically required the robber to keep moving without backtracking. I never thought of using the other family members.

#85 2014-01-31 17:20:49

arakira

cbenny, this is a really exquisite trap!

#86 2014-01-31 17:22:16

cbenny

jere wrote:

^^I have to say that is rather brilliant. I attempted something similar that involved walking through a door right into a shotgun blast, but it basically required the robber to keep moving without backtracking. I never thought of using the other family members.

So funny watching people taking 100+ steps back and forth waiting for the wife to show up down the hall, then getting impatient and opening the door to die.

arakira wrote:

cbenny, this is a really exquisite trap!

thanks

Last edited by cbenny (2014-01-31 19:12:03)

#87 2014-01-31 17:25:16

gyuri

Fake commit gate: http://castledraft.com/editor/sU0QAd

Most robbers would think the chihuahua is only there to release the pitbull, but actually it will kill you if you step onto the electric floor, which looks like a simple commit gate - unless you do a little and in this case very easy magic dance.

#88 2014-01-31 17:45:17

jere

I wonder if the wired wall gives it away though.

Here's a way that it seems like you have a valid reason to use the wired wall that isn't related to the chihuahua: http://castledraft.com/editor/jRApnq

I guess I'm assuming the robber is clever, but not clever enough.....

edit: Not sure about the 2nd wall. If you used the camera shifting correctly, you could loop the wired wall around, so they didn't see the connection.

Last edited by jere (2014-01-31 17:46:51)

#89 2014-01-31 19:41:56

ChartaBona

jere wrote:

I wonder if the wired wall gives it away though.

Here's a way that it seems like you have a valid reason to use the wired wall that isn't related to the chihuahua: http://castledraft.com/editor/jRApnq

I guess I'm assuming the robber is clever, but not clever enough.....

edit: Not sure about the 2nd wall. If you used the camera shifting correctly, you could loop the wired wall around, so they didn't see the connection.

Your version looks too scary imo. It's the harmless looking things that rack up tons of kills.

Last edited by ChartaBona (2014-01-31 19:49:02)

#90 2014-02-01 04:43:45

RockyBst

Problem with the wife trap above is that all you need to kill the wife is either a saw and a gun, or a brick, ladder and a gun. Would dissuade lower level players, but once you get to the 20k or so range someone is gonna bring the pain. Alright if you don't mind the wife dying, but I tend to keep mine buried somewhere with lots of pitbulls. Even that doesn't stop someone showing up with 12 guns and just killing everything.

#91 2014-02-01 10:09:28

RockyBst

I just came across this trap, which I thought was quite neat: http://castledraft.com/editor/Y40dNs

Essentially, because of the number of steps the girl moves, if you don't double back on yourself she's on the same tile as the pitbull when it first sees you. At which point the pitbull is essentially invisible.

#92 2014-02-01 11:03:33

Rendiginous

Here is a starter house I've been using: http://castledraft.com/editor/1KtqtU

Probably not the most brilliant thing ever, but I catch a ton of people in that top area thinking all three are leap of faith traps, and once you start down that path you have to keep going. Moving backwards will land you on an electric floor.

The bottom room also catches quite a few people. Everyone likes to hit all three buttons which traps them in that bottom room.

Also, if any of you smart people can make this same design for cheaper I'd love to see it! smile

Last edited by Rendiginous (2014-02-01 11:10:12)

#93 2014-02-01 17:39:30

Ake

Rendiginous wrote:

Here is a starter house I've been using: http://castledraft.com/editor/1KtqtU

Probably not the most brilliant thing ever, but I catch a ton of people in that top area thinking all three are leap of faith traps, and once you start down that path you have to keep going. Moving backwards will land you on an electric floor.

The bottom room also catches quite a few people. Everyone likes to hit all three buttons which traps them in that bottom room.

Also, if any of you smart people can make this same design for cheaper I'd love to see it! smile

So far I've given your house a shot to start with, with a very slight modification. Your design is very effective! 10 kills so far, with 5000 in profit. After the first two kills I went in an installed a second trap much like the first with the dog. So far though everyone is dying in the switch room and to the grates, a few have been silly and ran into the wife. I don't think it really needs to be cheaper, though I bet it will make it quicker to gain profit.

#94 2014-02-02 20:34:11

cbenny

Just saw the thread on clocks today and used it to build a trap.

http://castledraft.com/editor/6EJxtk

This trap is working so well that I feel kinda bad about it, so I figured I'd post it here. I've got several pages worth of people who all died on the 7th step.

Last edited by cbenny (2014-02-02 20:39:04)

#95 2014-02-04 13:33:29

Supay

cbenny wrote:

I came up with a trap that seems to be working really well. Since I haven't come across anything similar in game or in the forum, I figure I'll post it here;

http://castledraft.com/editor/9l6F4V

This is a simplified version of my current house. This trap exploits the fact that family members can't move through other family members. Robber enters the house and spooks the wife, so the wife runs right up to the door but can't move any further because the kids are in the way. The robber can't walk past the dog and is wary of the electric floor, but doesn't see any reason why he can't safely open the door... Boom! Shot in the face.

If nothing else the security tapes are hilarious, especially watching someone moving very, very cautiously.

Really strange, I only started playing tonight and your posted picture looks almost identical to my first house.  I didn't even intend to have the children block her path but that's obviously what was happening.  I didn't realise it till later when I had died and built a new house but had the children in a different location, which didn't stop my wife from running loose.  Couldn't work out why it had changed.

#96 2014-02-04 16:39:32

Gregorpm

I've had some success with this starting house:
http://castledraft.com/editor/7fWVvE

I explained what the switch does on the wiki (http://thecastledoctrine.gamepedia.com/ … e_Switches)

#97 2014-02-05 04:24:08

Fenrix

I have two traps I use alot that are quite successful.

Magic Dance/Combo Lock - put an animal in a maze with buttons in certain positions, lead the animal around inside the maze, works well if its a pitbull because there's a good chance it will kill anyone who breaks in to look at the layout, and can be easily disguised as a regular part of the map. - the end result is you basically dancing around the outside perimiter of a box with a maze in it. more advanced ones use your path through the house to move trigger the right buttons but at its core. its just a dog in a maze in a box.

Confusion Commitment gate - fill a room full of switches and wires and power supplies, wall it in, put some animals around the outside with windows, then put in 10 more cats than you need.  cunningly disguise your entry method within this by moving through the room in a very specific way.
people will be unable to figure out what does what and what is supposed to happen if done correctly. it is extremely effective against even skilled players. (use lots of wire bridges big_smile )

#98 2014-02-05 15:40:37

PlasmaChroma

This is probably in the links somewhere in the thread but I haven't looked up everything yet.  Pretty popular sequence trap.

Also if someone does get through it then it's pretty trivial to setup in a different configuration.

"The Gauntlet"

GwQ9o0i.jpg

#99 2014-02-06 09:23:14

eppfel
Website

This trap toasted even skilled robbers with tools, which would have prevented death.

The Über Fire Floor
The Über Fire Floor trap
It is a doubled sided update to the Fire Floor posted in the first entry of this thread. Most people die on their fourth electric floor tile and I believe it is, because they only look straight to the end of the floor and overlook the cat standing partly in the shadows. The cat sees you already on the third tile.
A version with an even steeper angle works as well: The Über Fire Floor on CastleDraft, but the cat can be bricked.

Last edited by eppfel (2014-03-10 04:12:23)

#100 2014-02-06 10:43:05

DirtySlanderer

Snake, you mentioned having a fake-out trap where shorting out a circuit actually gets the robber killed.  I have a mechanic like that in my current house, so I created a basic version of it on castle draft (with a different layout to protect my home!) 

http://castledraft.com/editor/ZEiJZR

Basically the robber enters the house and walks down to where the grills are, which are powered on by the cat stepping on the switch.  The camera will scroll down after the robber steps on the second grill, so they will be in trouble there.  Most people that come into my house always go on the safe looking path to start and see the power source, which looks like a fairly obvious trick.  However, when they walk back, because they scrolled the screen down to see the power, the cat will now step on the switch. Half of the players will immediately die when they step on a grill, because they don't think they have changed anything by walking down.  The other half will go back and short the circuit, then confidently step on the grills, only to be fried anyway.  The only thing that the open power source is powering is a door that will release a pit bull.  While this isn't the most effective trap in my house, it is certainly the most entertaining!

Board footer